BISD Raise & Stipend

Hagar

The raises they’re giving to most of the workers are fairly small, but welcomed and necessary.  One part in there is important, though, and that’s where they’re looking at equity adjustments for diagnosticians.  That job is monumentally important, and for some reason BISD hasn’t been even close to competitive with their pay in that position, while overworking those employees.  A diagnostician is in charge of all testing, paperwork, ARD meetings and more for all special education students at their campus.  They’re also in charge of keeping the district in compliance with the state, and from getting sued by angry parents.  My wife was a diag at BISD for one year.  She was responsible for three schools, and also had to do all of the speech paperwork (absolutely not in her job description) at two of those campuses because they didn’t have full-time speech pathologists.  She was also in charge of the early childhood intake for the entire district, meaning she was responsible for the testing of any special needs child coming into any pre-k in the district to see if they qualified.  She would work all day, have to drive around town to different campuses, then come home and work a few more hours almost every night.  After that year she was hired in the same position at a much smaller district.  One campus, no additional unpaid work roles, and a substantial raise.  Her workload was legitimately cut by 2/3, and she’s better paid.  BISD has to solve that problem.  Paying the position competitively is a big start.  

I saw this and it’s a breath of fresh air for BISD employees.  But I feel this was mandatory as a way to get these MANY vacancies filled and keeping the employees they have.  PAISD is the second biggest school district in SETX and didn’t have near as many open positions as BISD.  Now I say BISD work on getting better benefits for Theo employees and they’ll be in good shape, IMO…

Don’t be fooled people....

their giving raises but what they aren’t telling you is ......they re increasing the minutes per day. So the raise is mute.

also more times than not anytime teachers get a raise it’s usually to cover a raise in insurance to cover it. So then again your not getting more money in the bank.

bisd has been operating this way for awhile.....

this is based on what I found out 2weeks ago

I wasn’t able to read the article posted above so unless something changed I stand by what I wrote.

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I saw this and it’s a breath of fresh air for BISD employees.  But I feel this was mandatory as a way to get these MANY vacancies filled and keeping the employees they have.  PAISD is the second biggest school district in SETX and didn’t have near as many open positions as BISD.  Now I say BISD work on getting better benefits for Theo employees and they’ll be in good shape, IMO…

Yup.  Turnover is normal, but BISD has an unprecedented number of openings.  Back when I started BISD paid better than everyone else, but a lot of the local districts have caught up or gotten close, and that was about the only advantage BISD had over them.

3 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

their giving raises but what they aren’t telling you is ......they re increasing the minutes per day. So the raise is mute.

also more times than not anytime teachers get a raise it’s usually to cover a raise in insurance to cover it. So then again your not getting more money in the bank.

To a degree.  They’ve done okay giving raises to teachers over the years.  Next year I would’ve made close to $10k more with my experience than teachers did when I was hired on 15 years ago.  They’re also offering some substantial stipends this year.  It still won’t be enough to stem the tide of employees leaving, although it should slow it down some.

2 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Yup.  Turnover is normal, but BISD has an unprecedented number of openings.  Back when I started BISD paid better than everyone else, but a lot of the local districts have caught up or gotten close, and that was about the only advantage BISD had over them.

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

There was a mass exiting in the special Ed dept. I mean MASS exiting.

A lot of people left because bisd is going back to their old ways......in special Ed dept anyways. I see TEA back in the district in 2 to 3 years unless some changes happen

3 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

To a degree.  They’ve done okay giving raises to teachers over the years.  Next year I would’ve made close to $10k more with my experience than teachers did when I was hired on 15 years ago.  They’re also offering some substantial stipends this year.  It still won’t be enough to stem the tide of employees leaving, although it should slow it down some.

Is their stipend equal to what WOS is offering ($10,000)

12 hours ago, bullets13 said:

The raises they’re giving to most of the workers are fairly small, but welcomed and necessary.  One part in there is important, though, and that’s where they’re looking at equity adjustments for diagnosticians.  That job is monumentally important, and for some reason BISD hasn’t been even close to competitive with their pay in that position, while overworking those employees.  A diagnostician is in charge of all testing, paperwork, ARD meetings and more for all special education students at their campus.  They’re also in charge of keeping the district in compliance with the state, and from getting sued by angry parents.  My wife was a diag at BISD for one year.  She was responsible for three schools, and also had to do all of the speech paperwork (absolutely not in her job description) at two of those campuses because they didn’t have full-time speech pathologists.  She was also in charge of the early childhood intake for the entire district, meaning she was responsible for the testing of any special needs child coming into any pre-k in the district to see if they qualified.  She would work all day, have to drive around town to different campuses, then come home and work a few more hours almost every night.  After that year she was hired in the same position at a much smaller district.  One campus, no additional unpaid work roles, and a substantial raise.  Her workload was legitimately cut by 2/3, and she’s better paid.  BISD has to solve that problem.  Paying the position competitively is a big start.  

Many diags left this year.

they still overload the diags....

and giving the shortage they re going to be overloaded again this year

6 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

This is the case with most districts, not just BISD. Most districts play catch up with insurance increases. However, from what I’ve seen or heard, BISD pays more towards insurance than most.

12 hours ago, bullets13 said:

There are diag vacancies in most area schools. They need to increase the pay to keep up

1 minute ago, mat said:

This is the case with most districts, not just BISD. Most districts play catch up with insurance increases. However, from what I’ve seen or heard, BISD pays more towards insurance than most.

Yes they do.....

I just don’t like “play on words”.....RAISE when really it’s not.

And giving what bisd staff deal with and the lack of backing from the top......bisd don’t pay enough.....that’s why their are so many openings.

most realize this shortly into their school year....more money is not always better.

2 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

There was a mass exiting in the special Ed dept. I mean MASS exiting.

A lot of people left because bisd is going back to their old ways......in special Ed dept anyways. I see TEA back in the district in 2 to 3 years unless some changes happen

See my above post about the diags.  But yes, pay is far from the only issue.

I just wish I could get my pay / income  returned to pre-Covid amounts. I’m currently at about 50%. Lots of folks still completely out of work or working at decreased payment in the petrochemical industry (not by their own choice). I believe in teachers and their worth, but they may want to be thankful for what they have during these times. 

Teachers today have a lot of the same problems Police are having.  No one (in this case, students) shows any respect anymore.   If the District doesn’t have a strict policy, and I bet few do, kids are going to go as far as they can.  Students calling the teachers names, right in the classroom, is ridiculous.  Were I a teacher, I doubt I’d make a half a day before wearing a belt/board out & getting fired.  They must be saints to put up with the 🐂💩.

I go back to a study done some years back were school students on Military bases scored higher that their public counterparts, even with higher integration ratios.  Reason was discipline.  Little Johnny get rowdy, teacher tells Jonnys parents First Sgt, Who Calls the parents in and tells them to get Johnny in line - end of problem.  No matter the color/race, most kids aren’t stupid.  Put them in a highly disciplined environment and you’ll see better test scores.

12 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Part time job🤔

have you ever taught?

"Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach."  I'm a doer. 

187 day teacher contract.  When most of us work 260 days per year, then back out two weeks of vacation and an additional ten holidays for roughly 240 work days per year.  And I don't know anybody working that 240 day schedule that goes to work at 7:30 and gets off at 3:30.  That's before i get into night shifts, weekends, and working outdoors.  

The obvious fact is that teaching school is no harder than going to school was as a kid.  And no working person has ever said "jeez, I'm so glad that I got out of school... the real world is so much tougher than attending class m-f 8-3 with thanksgiving, christmas, spring break, and the summer off.  That was just terrible."

So YES.  It's a part time job.