Man accused of Murdering Beaumont Teacher in Jefferson County Jail

bullets13

58 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

This DNA database stuff should have alot of criminals worried.

In the last four years or so, my Police Department had two cold cases solved by DNA. For some reason those cases don’t always make big local news. I think it is not the fact that it is a DNA case as much as people tend to remember certain homicides that were more big news at the time. 

2 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

In the last four years or so, my Police Department had two cold cases solved by DNA. For some reason those cases don’t always make big local news. I think it is not the fact that it is a DNA case as much as people tend to remember certain homicides that were more big news at the time. 

It was the "golden state killer" that I first heard of this. Thanks for using every available option to clear the cold cases. Like @bullets13 said, just get em.

We see shows on tv about cold cases, and I think they're popular on podcasts. But serious question... On average, how many cold cases are in most departments?

11 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

It was the "golden state killer" that I first heard of this. Thanks for using every available option to clear the cold cases. Like @bullets13 said, just get em.

We see shows on tv about cold cases, and I think they're popular on podcasts. But serious question... On average, how many cold cases are in most departments?

I listen to some true crime podcasts.  Casefile did a very good 5 part series on the golden state killer.  It was pretty cool listening to it, then the case being solved a year later.  

20 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Nationally I believe the homicide clearance rate in between 60 - 70%. In the southeast Texas area I think it is a little higher like maybe 85% but I can’t find that anywhere.

I think 70% would be a good number to go by so if Beaumont has 15 homicides this year, it is likely that about four will go unsolved. That comes out to around 40 per decade and you can go back as far as you want. 

41 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Nationally I believe the homicide clearance rate in between 60 - 70%. In the southeast Texas area I think it is a little higher like maybe 85% but I can’t find that anywhere.

I think 70% would be a good number to go by so if Beaumont has 15 homicides this year, it is likely that about four will go unsolved. That comes out to around 40 per decade and you can go back as far as you want. 

Thanks for the answer. That's exactly what I was looking for. 60-70% nationally sounds horrible. Alot of killers walking the streets.

6 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Thanks for the answer. That's exactly what I was looking for. 60-70% nationally sounds horrible. Alot of killers walking the streets.

Yes it seems tragic but he is by far and away the highest solved crime. That is as it should be with like home burglaries, I think the national saving rate is about 10%. So you figure if someone breaks into your home and there is about a 90% chance depression will never be caught. what catches criminals is if they are criminals. People don’t commit one crime and then give it up. A person will break into 10 homes and get away with it with then he will eventually be caught. There are very few serious criminals that commit  crime for a long time and don’t get caught. In fact when you see criminals convicted locally, the news will almost always report at this is that person second or third or fourth felony. The fact is if the police catch people but the overcrowded system simply lets them go.