Streaming for 2021 games

20 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

Why if you don’t mind me asking 

Lot's of booster clubs and other organizations count on raising money at Friday night games.

If you can stay home and still watch the game, most folks will stay home.

Also, the majority of stadium press boxes just do not have the capacity to host multiple broadcast entities. Some will be forced out, mainly folks like us who only do audio.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Lot's of booster clubs and other organizations count on raising money at Friday night games.

Also, the majority of stadium press boxes just do not have the capacity to host multiple broadcast entities. Some will be forced out, mainly folks like us who only do audio.

Definitely valid arguments 

I agree with Mike Sanchez on this one. Friday Night Lights and the Friday night experience has always been a big deal in Texas. Sitting home and watching on Friday nights is not nearly as big a deal. I was born and have lived most of my life in Texas, went to college in Oklahoma, attended high school in Arkansas, lived ten years in Colorado and eight years in Nebraska. 

Friday night football is a big deal in all of those states. My high school in Arkansas had a 10,000 seat stadium and it was packed every Friday. It was a lesser deal in Oklahoma, Colorado and Nebraska but it was still a big deal. 

At all of those places the booster clubs and student groups worked hard to meet the fans needs in the concession stands. Basketball is probably a bigger deal in Nebraska and some of the other states than it is in Texas. 

If we want to keep those activities going we either have to put up the money or let them earn it. The lack of people in the stands would even hurt the revenue of the athletic departments themselves. 

The experience of going to the games is so important itself. I went to and wrote about Silsbee games over a quarter of a century. I used to love going to the game and prior to and at half time standing by the old coaches bench and speaking to the fans as they came in and out of the stadium. 

It was an opportunity to see a lot of the people who I came to know and love in Silsbee. I would not have got that on my couch at my house. 

Places like Silsbee and PNG are special. Even in Texas I have gone to a lot of places where there are more empty seats on the other side of the field than there are on our side. That is true whether we are home or away. 

Do schools receive compensation from streaming services?

I believe more people across the state, nation, and world, would pay to stream a game rather than listen for free on the local station. No offense to Mike sanchez or Gary Stelly. But the new generation doesn't just sit around listening to the radio. I'm just glad they figured out how to combine the local broadcast with the video feeds.

I, too, wonder if the trend we started to see of schools going into business for themselves and stream their home games with school equipment.  I know Port Arthur Memorial started doing that with a You Tube channel and Vidor and Anahuac at the very least followed suit with school based streaming.

With the decision yesterday, it will only be a matter of time before they are able to turn this into a subscription matter and make money off of these streams.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:43 AM, AggiesAreWe said:

I don't think most people will stay home. Watching live on the computer isn't comparable to the real thing, and if someone cares enough about the game to have a Texan Live subscription, they care enough to physically be at the game if they are able (not to mention that they care enough about the game to try to watch even though the streaming is often cut off, frozen, or lagging - Streaming is often not for the lazy fans, but for dedicated fans). I suspect most people streaming live are doing so because they otherwise wouldn't be able to go to the game. Or, it's people who weren't even considering going to the game but might want to watch. In both of those groups, no potential game-goer was removed from the stadium - It actually grows the list of people who watch the game because without streaming neither of those groups watches at all. I agree there is likely a third group that consists of people who might have otherwise gone to the game but choose to stream at home, but I don't expect that would be a significant number to appreciably reduce revenues, particularly if the schools are able to charge for the streaming somehow. But, in fairness, it would be interesting to try to come up with an estimate of game attendance vs streaming from year to year so see if you're correct. 

All of that being said, by choosing to stream last year I missed out on the radio color commentary, and I think the PNG guys do a really good job. I wish the 92.5 team would just do a video with their commentary to radio (for the radio crowd) so we can watch the streams with the PNG guys (or, with whatever team does it for the team you support -- I know Nederland, Silsbee, and West Orange have well-established radio broadcasts every Friday). 

When I used to go, no way would I sit home & watch a screen.  Not even close to being at a game.  Being there with the cheering, booing, running to the concession stand and seeing a bunch of folks you know.  Watching on a computer or iPad will never replace that.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:24 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

Think this is a mistake, but oh well.

I agree with you, Mike....and I'm 700+ miles away and can't watch the Dawgs if things revert back to the way they were. Those kids need people in the stands and the schools need the revenue. 

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see the numbers.  I thought televising every Astro game would hurt the number of people going to the game but it only multiplied it.  Look at the braves years ago on TBS or the Cubs on WGN.   I know this is baseball and they play every night, but I think it may expose more people to HS Football.   

On 6/18/2021 at 9:38 PM, Hagar said:

When I used to go, no way would I sit home & watch a screen.  Not even close to being at a game.  Being there with the cheering, booing, running to the concession stand and seeing a bunch of folks you know.  Watching on a computer or iPad will never replace that.

What if your at home wacthin on a 85'in flatscreen curve with a soundbar and Bass box.. ? I" have been for years now Football - Basketball - Baseball and I've had the best seat in the house..! But I " will say I" like when Mike are Tim an the live streamer get together and Mike are Tim does the commentary. 

2 hours ago, Who That said:

What if your at home wacthin on a 85'in flatscreen curve with a soundbar and Bass box.. ? I" have been for years now Football - Basketball - Baseball and I've had the best seat in the house..! But I " will say I" like when Mike are Tim an the live streamer get together and Mike are Tim does the commentary. 

Durn Who That, you’re the only person I know that can afford an 85” flatscreen curve with a sound bar & bass box.  😂😂😂

On 6/30/2021 at 8:40 PM, Hagar said:

To be honest, I haven’t been able to put flatscreen & curve together.  🤪 

It's a curve but it's thinner" then my pinky .! But on my wall up in the corner it looks flat ..! Is that better. 🤣 But like I" said I" have the best seat in the house 🍭.! 🤗😁

• 3 weeks later...