UIL shot clock news

The UIL will vote on a proposed change on Tuesday that would add a shot clock to Class 5A and 6A basketball.

@GuyerBasketball head coach Grant Long said adopting a shot clock “[is] in the best interest of the players, coaches and game.” #txhshoops

This is the hidden content, please

14 minutes ago, catfever said:

In other words, he can't beat Argyle without it.

I wonder how this will work when lower classifications play 5A and 6A in nondistrict.

I'm against it.

That's a good question. I assume it will only be in play for games involving 6A and 5A teams. Any other games would not have a shot clock.

Be tough to have tournaments with a mixture of 6A-1A.

On 6/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, Bird33 said:

45 seconds is an eternity. Won’t affect majority of the game.  But will stop the Stall Ball tactic that some teams deploy.  

makes them play basketball, which should be the point.  

This is my view.  Stall ball is terrible to watch, but I guess it’ll continue for now.  

5 hours ago, whsalum said:

It’s a strategy often deployed by teams that don’t have equal athletes. Been part of the game forever. I personally am not a fan of stalling the basketball but it’s up to the defensive team to adjust. High school basketball doesn’t need a shot clock 

I have seen plenty of athletic teams use this to their advantage over the years.  Andre Boutte was the master of it.  He would stall in the 3rd quarter if he had a 5 point lead.  

2 hours ago, catfever said:

I have seen plenty of athletic teams use this to their advantage over the years.  Andre Boutte was the master of it.  He would stall in the 3rd quarter if he had a 5 point lead.  

That’s why I said often and not always. It’s a strategy and good coaches will use it to beat you if they get ahead. You give a good free throw shooting team a 5 point lead and the ball they’ll beat you with a good coach.

1 hour ago, whsalum said:

That’s why I said often and not always. It’s a strategy and good coaches will use it to beat you if they get ahead. You give a good free throw shooting team a 5 point lead and the ball they’ll beat you with a good coach.

Hand comes to mind. Lol

10 minutes ago, no-look said:

The 5-3 Huntington/Woodville game was the strangest game I’ve ever seen.  A big mixed bag of reactions during and after the game. A shot clock would have changed that one for sure. Lol

I imagine the Woodville coach still has nightmares about that one. 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 8:53 AM, whsalum said:

I imagine the Woodville coach still has nightmares about that one. 😂

Ron Jackson was a good coach. Had some tough breaks along the way. He had a Grapeland team in Austin one year. Playing Wellington and was up three with less than ten seconds left. Grapeland player steals the ball and does a 360 dunk attempt . Ball hits back of the rim and a Wellington player scoops it up and slings a half court shot and banks it in at the buzzer. Grapeland lost in OT 

37 minutes ago, no-look said:

Ron Jackson was a good coach. Had some tough breaks along the way. He had a Grapeland team in Austin one year. Playing Wellington and was up three with less than ten seconds left. Grapeland player steals the ball and does a 360 dunk attempt . Ball hits back of the rim and a Wellington player scoops it up and slings a half court shot and banks it in at the buzzer. Grapeland lost in OT 

I remember that game 

16 hours ago, no-look said:

That’s brutal 

17 hours ago, no-look said:

Did that player play in the OT period??? 

In the late 50s there was a game that was played in the Sam Houston Coliseum that was 2-0 and if memory serves me right it was Lamar and San Jacinto Hi schools. Just can't remember who won but I believe it was Lamar with 2 FTs at end.  I am sure I will get corrected if wrong.