This US soccer equal pay battle is getting ridiculous

bullets13

The US women's soccer team and now democratic congress is continuing to keep up the charade that the women aren't being fairly treated, despite the fact that the women are receiving much more compensation than the men, which was verified when their lawsuit was struck down a few months ago.  I'm over it.  

I know there are a lot of soccer lovers out there, but it is one of the most boring sports for me to watch. I gave men’s soccer a chance a few Olympics ago, watched the entire game, came down to penalty kicks from a 0-0 tie. One side missed one penalty kick enabling the other side to emerge victorious. Could have saved a lot of time, yawns, and extra beer breaks if the game started with penalty kicks. Women’s soccer is a special “don’t give a hoot”. Just my opinion and not trying to offend soccer lovers. Then again, if this offends someone, you have issues.

They refused to accept the same offer the men got.

They ended up signing a contract which was more than the men got.

After refusing the same deal and holding out for a better deal, they ended up making more money than the men and now they claim discrimination.

Now the national Democrats are holding up the women’s soccer team as an example of discrimination and unequal pay.

Go figure.

I think it goes back to the Democratic playbook that no matter what the argument is or what the facts are, you simply claim discrimination. If you oppose their claim, you’re a racist, sexist, homophobe.....

1 hour ago, baddog said:

I know there are a lot of soccer lovers out there, but it is one of the most boring sports for me to watch. I gave men’s soccer a chance a few Olympics ago, watched the entire game, came down to penalty kicks from a 0-0 tie. One side missed one penalty kick enabling the other side to emerge victorious. Could have saved a lot of time, yawns, and extra beer breaks if the game started with penalty kicks. Women’s soccer is a special “don’t give a hoot”. Just my opinion and not trying to offend soccer lovers. Then again, if this offends someone, you have issues.

I pretty much think the same. I can see where it would be a very fun game to play but not to watch.

There are other sports that people who are not into it would consider boring and I get that. I like to play golf and sometimes I like to watch golf, when it’s a big tournament and some of the big-name players on on the leaderboard. The fact that someone who does not like golf would think it’s boring, I completely understand. There is very little action.

I cannot stand NASCAR. I think it would be like some people watching golf or me watching soccer. If I had the option of watching an entire NASCAR race or changing a flat on someone’s car, I would choose changing the flat. Watching the cars go around the same cycle for an hour is not appealing. An apparently very popular sport with some people loving it. I’m glad that it exist and so many people pleasure from watching. I just think it’s boring.

And likewise, I think soccer is boring. 

2 hours ago, baddog said:

There's a reason it's the most popular sport (by a landslide) in the world, and that it's called "the beautiful game".  But to appreciate it you have to understand it, and there's a lot of nuance to it.  It definitely does not fit into the immediate gratification category that pretty much all American sports provide.  I've played soccer for the better part of 35 years.  I can watch a 0-0 game and find plenty to enjoy, but I certainly understand that the casual observer would not find that same enjoyment.  

22 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

There's a reason it's the most popular sport (by a landslide) in the world, and that it's called "the beautiful game".  But to appreciate it you have to understand it, and there's a lot of nuance to it.  It definitely does not fit into the immediate gratification category that pretty much all American sports provide.  I've played soccer for the better part of 35 years.  I can watch a 0-0 game and find plenty to enjoy, but I certainly understand that the casual observer would not find that same enjoyment.  

I think that's the reason lots of older folks (myself included) in the US don't enjoy watching soccer, we never played it.  Soccer wasn't played in school when I was there and my kids played some soccer but mostly other sports.  I can definitely appreciate the athleticism required to move a ball down the field and score with no hands, lol. 

15 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I can appreciate the athleticism and stamina it takes to play the game. I can also appreciate the skill and danger of NASCAR ( which I also think is boring). It’s really a “to each his own”. Like tvc addressed the fact that golf is probably boring to a lot of people, I love watching golf, especially The Masters, and I used to play some weekend golf. I don’t expect everyone to enjoy the same things I do. 

27 minutes ago, baddog said:

I can appreciate the athleticism and stamina it takes to play the game. I can also appreciate the skill and danger of NASCAR ( which I also think is boring). It’s really a “to each his own”. Like tvc addressed the fact that golf is probably boring to a lot of people, I love watching golf, especially The Masters, and I used to play some weekend golf. I don’t expect everyone to enjoy the same things I do. 

Totally get it.  I can't watch nascar at all.  I play a little golf, so I don't mind watching it, especially the majors.  If I didn't play golf it would bore me to tears to watch it.  Because I play it a little I can appreciate what they're doing.  Soccer is kind of the same way.  When I see someone cut the ball with the outside of their foot and send it 40 yds and land it directly at a teammate's feet, I can appreciate the heck out of it, but understand that many don't realize how hard that was to do.  

7 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

EDIT.... another reason that I know that there is no gender-related pay gap.  Women can literally pay their rent by selling pictures of their buttholes.  I can do no such thing.

CB, you may be surprised at what people will pay to see. Just gotta find the right niche and audience and you could have your b-hole all over the internet. If you decide to go that route, I feel like I should get some sort of finders fee. 

10 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

CB, you may be surprised at what people will pay to see. Just gotta find the right niche and audience and you could have your b-hole all over the internet. If you decide to go that route, I feel like I should get some sort of finders fee. 

I'd pay not to see it.  Maybe that's his niche?

Watched soccer the first time when my grandkids played.  Loved it while they played, without them, wouldn’t go to the World Cup if I had free tickets and it was at Evadale’s football field.

I will admit one thing, if you want your child to play any sport, soccer is a great springboard.  As my grandaughter said, there’s in shape, in basketball shape, then there’s soccer shape.  Not only the increased endurance, but the footwork will make better baseball, basketball, or football players, in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, Hagar said:

Watched soccer the first time when my grandkids played.  Loved it while they played, without them, wouldn’t go to the World Cup if I had free tickets and it was at Evadale’s football field.

I will admit one thing, if you want your child to play any sport, soccer is a great springboard.  As my grandaughter said, there’s in shape, in basketball shape, then there’s soccer shape.  Not only the increased endurance, but the footwork will make better baseball, basketball, or football players, in my opinion. 

Off topic, I know: the most grueling sport I have ever played was raquetball......notice I said “that I have played”

On 6/10/2021 at 2:01 PM, InMAGAWeTrust said:

Athletes should get paid based off the revenue they bring in, simple as that. All this equality BS is just.. BS.

Many pro athletes have incentives in their contracts, X amount of dollars extra if they meet X requirement. Also the original post stated the women were offered the same deal as the men.

54 minutes ago, baddog said:

Off topic, I know: the most grueling sport I have ever played was raquetball......notice I said “that I have played”

I tried tennis a couple of times.  Kept stepping on my tongue.  😂😂😂

12 minutes ago, Derf Nosneb said:

By far the worse is Military golf with out a cart.

I’m of the opinion the golf cart had to be invented before the game was. Walking 18 holes on a SETX summer day is insane, and the cart carries a small ice chest full of cold beverages that ease the aches, and makes a “snowman” easier to stomach.  😂😂😂

Women's soccer makes money once every 4 years.  Men's soccer makes money pretty much all the time.  men's soccer championship is widely more popular than the women's soccer championship.  Plus, these ladies signed a contract to be paid what they are paid.  Then they complain about it!  The first two are basically the reason why the pay inequity.   I don't think that anyone can reasonably doubt if the games were equal then women would be paid the same or close to it.  Again, what ever they could negotiate!