June 6, 1944

Chester86

I would be curious to know how many of our youngsters know what happened on this date.  The greatest generation earned their title and paid dearly for the right to be free.  I doubt we have too many (if any) who served during that time on our message board, but I bet we all know or have someone in our family who served.  Thank-you for the sacrifices that were made that day and all of our WWII vets.  God bless America!!!!

10 minutes ago, RaiderRed30 said:

I think another question would be what happened on June 15, 1944?

Just 9 days later and just as important as the invasion of Normandy. 

it probably should be June 13, not the 15th. That’s when the actual battle started with the shelling. 

Just as important is debatable as it was a continued steppingstone. This was unlike the invasion of Normandy where it was the beginning but certainly it was very important. I think the biggest by far accomplishment of the turkey shoot was the forward air bases and allowing to B29’s to basically level Japan.

I read a book many years ago (before the Internet) I believe called, A Torch To The Enemy by Martin Caidin. It was about the B 29 bombing campaign over Japan. I cannot remember the exact statistics but basically any city that has at least a 20,000 population in the entire country, was at least 50% destroyed. Many cities were virtually leveled. 

While people talk about the atomic bomb and destruction, the fire bombing of Tokyo in March 1945 what is the most destructive rate in history. I am going off of memory but I think something like 140,000 people were killed in one night in about 20 square miles of the city was completely destroyed. Well over 1 million people were left homeless.

Because the destruction of Japan by air before their surrender was so devastating, the Americans chose a couple of cities to be completely spared. This was for the upcoming atomic bomb raids. They wanted to see the effectiveness of the weapon but could not in most cities because they had already been leveled. That is why Hiroshima and  Nagasaki were basically untouched before the atomic bombs. They were preserved as a test case because the rest of my Japan had already been leveled.

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

it probably should be June 13, not the 15th. That’s when the actual battle started with the shelling. 

Just as important is debatable as it was a continued steppingstone. This was unlike the invasion of Normandy where it was the beginning but certainly it was very important. I think the biggest by far accomplishment of the turkey shoot was the forward air bases and allowing to B29’s to basically level Japan.

I read a book many years ago (before the Internet) I believe called, A Torch To The Enemy by Martin Caidin. It was about the B 29 bombing campaign over Japan. I cannot remember the exact statistics but basically any city that has at least a 20,000 population in the entire country, was at least 50% destroyed. Many cities were virtually leveled. 

While people talk about the atomic bomb and destruction, the fire bombing of Tokyo in March 1945 what is the most destructive rate in history. I am going off of memory but I think something like 140,000 people were killed in one night in about 20 square miles of the city was completely destroyed. Well over 1 million people were left homeless.

Because the destruction of Japan by air before their surrender was so devastating, the Americans chose a couple of cities to be completely spared. This was for the upcoming atomic bomb raids. They wanted to see the effectiveness of the weapon but could not in most cities because they had already been leveled. That is why Hiroshima and  Nagasaki were basically untouched before the atomic bombs. They were preserved as a test case because the rest of my Japan had already been leveled.

Sometimes I think that we'd be in a lot better place if we reminded EVERYBODY what we're capable of.  

That was one of my biggest problems with the U. S. media acting so upset over the last few decades whenever "innocent civilians" got hammered.... kinda like week before last when the Israelis blew up that building in Gaza that housed Hamas and a few news agencies.  Do you have any idea what we've done to "innocent civilians?'  That's how you win, baby!

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Sometimes I think that we'd be in a lot better place if we reminded EVERYBODY what we're capable of.  

That was one of my biggest problems with the U. S. media acting so upset over the last few decades whenever "innocent civilians" got hammered.... kinda like week before last when the Israelis blew up that building in Gaza that housed Hamas and a few news agencies.  Do you have any idea what we've done to "innocent civilians?'  That's how you win, baby!

You are correct. 

9 hours ago, tvc184 said:

June 15 is the day the invasion actually started but yes like Normandy there were bombings in the days up to it including the Philippine Sea (which is rumored to have a ship sunk carrying mosquitoes infected with the plague). 

As for being as important as D-Day, this was the first Japanese land the US invaded. It led directly to the resignation of Tojo, the shift in strategy from Japan, and the realization that the war was lost. The US could now directly bomb the country something it hadn’t done other than once in 1942. The three islands eventually held 15 runways about 8-10 were used for B-29s. 

The night you were referring to was Operation Meetinghouse the first firebombing attack something that even the US did not know the damage it would cause. It continued until the Atomic Bombs were dropped (the first one actually left San Francisco before the test as Los Alamos). The reasoning for the use is pretty incredible since it was partly due to the Soviets, our allies, starting to invade Korea to meet us in Japan. 

Just think these 3 Battles should be discussed a whole lot more and remembered similar to D-Day because it was the start of the end of the War in the Pacific and in one islands case, directly led to a change in how the entire world operates regarding conflicts. 

5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

In the first case we didn’t know the exact damage it would cause. It was a shock to everyone.  

In relation to Hiroshima and Nagasaki it was actually to prevent deaths (again didn’t know the full destruction and aftermath). Based on fighting in Okinawa and other places, the United States realized an actual invasion would have killed hundreds of thousands of American soldiers, as well as millions of Japanese civilians due to the Honor and Pride the Japanese had. And invasion of Japan would have been like the Siege of Bexar with every house and building having to be fought and cleared. 

40 minutes ago, RaiderRed30 said:

In the first case we didn’t know the exact damage it would cause. It was a shock to everyone.  

In relation to Hiroshima and Nagasaki it was actually to prevent deaths (again didn’t know the full destruction and aftermath). Based on fighting in Okinawa and other places, the United States realized an actual invasion would have killed hundreds of thousands of American soldiers, as well as millions of Japanese civilians due to the Honor and Pride the Japanese had. And invasion of Japan would have been like the Siege of Bexar with every house and building having to be fought and cleared. 

That doesn't explain away the fact that we incinerated a few hundred thousand innocents.  I think we're the only people who've actually used a "weapon of mass destruction" on the planet of earth.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

That doesn't explain away the fact that we incinerated a few hundred thousand innocents.  I think we're the only people who've actually used a "weapon of mass destruction" on the planet of earth.

I’m all for it. Ought to try that tactic in Iran & Afghanistan. 

I’ve read estimates that we anticipated a million casualties if we invaded Japan (killed & wounded).  Most don’t realize the fanaticism of the Japanese at the time.  They were actually training their women & children how to fight.  Remembering the fact that hundreds of Japanese old men, women and children jumped to their deaths at Okinawa, it’s not hard to imagine the death toll.  And there’s no doubt the dropping of the two Atomic bombs, despite the tragic loss of life, actually saved hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of lives.

15 hours ago, Hagar said:

I’ve read estimates that we anticipated a million casualties if we invaded Japan (killed & wounded).  Most don’t realize the fanaticism of the Japanese at the time.  They were actually training their women & children how to fight.  Remembering the fact that hundreds of Japanese old men, women and children jumped to their deaths at Okinawa, it’s not hard to imagine the death toll.  And there’s no doubt the dropping of the two Atomic bombs, despite the tragic loss of life, actually saved hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of lives.

You're exactly right.... but can you imagine if we had to do something similar today?  I'm telling you... our kids are so brainwashed that they'll join sides with whoever jumps on us next.

5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You're exactly right.... but can you imagine if we had to do something similar today?  I'm telling you... our kids are so brainwashed that they'll join sides with whoever jumps on us next.

Still a few.  My grandson just finished Marine Corp Boot Camp.  There’s still a Few Good Men.

13 hours ago, Hagar said:

Still a few.  My grandson just finished Marine Corp Boot Camp.  There’s still a Few Good Men.

Oh, absolutely.... I'm just afraid that there are more kids walking around wearing skinny jeans, smoking tons of dope, and disagreeing with America "just because."  I strongly suspect that those hippies protesting in the 60s will seem like nothing when MOST of our young people believe that we are the enemy.

One of our biggest mistakes was ending the Draft.  It needs to be reinstituted with some changes.  Everyone goes after HS.  Men & women, for maybe one year.  Only serious handicaps are exempt.  That gives all of us skin in the game, and allows discipline to enter into lives who’ve never been exposed to it.  Jmo

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

One of our biggest mistakes was ending the Draft.  It needs to be reinstituted with some changes.  Everyone goes after HS.  Men & women, for maybe one year.  Only serious handicaps are exempt.  That gives all of us skin in the game, and allows discipline to enter into lives who’ve never been exposed to it.  Jmo

Democrats would never go for it, Hagar, it would severely derail the poisoning of young minds with liberalism.