Hagar’s Ramblings

Hagar

I too suffer from leg cramps, just like my dad. I'm gonna try that one and I'll let you know if it's really mind over matter.

Another thing I've been told is for hiccups. Say the word cow and it'll stop. Sometimes it does. But when it doesn't, I resort to saying calf, bull, Longhorn, beef, brisket, t bone, filet mignon. The trick is you have to believe.

9 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I too suffer from leg cramps, just like my dad. I'm gonna try that one and I'll let you know if it's really mind over matter.

Another thing I've been told is for hiccups. Say the word cow and it'll stop. Sometimes it does. But when it doesn't, I resort to saying calf, bull, Longhorn, beef, brisket, t bone, filet mignon. The trick is you have to believe.

Maybe cows do not get hiccups and if you identify as a cow, the problem is solved…. 😂

10 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Being a massive meat eater, primarily beef, saying all that would make me hungry.  And your suggestion is timely.  I rarely have hiccups but a few days back I had a dozy - loud ones and they lasted a good while.  Now I have cow in my arsenal.  😂🤣😂

Funny how I’ll be sitting here with the TV on and sometimes an old story pops.  This was back in the late 70’s.  My wife was fixing supper but needed a couple of things from the store.  We lived close to Woods Supermarket in Vidor so my daughter & I drove down there.  As we were going down one aisle, there was another father/daughter close to us.  Based on their conversation, mother was absent (sick? Trip?).  The daughter appeared to be about 13 or 14, and father was about 6’6” and 280 pounds.  She said, “Here’s cereal Dad, I could make you cereal for breakfast”.  His first response was a deep, slow laugh, and he said in a deep slow voice, “Honey, I couldn’t make it out to the truck in the morning on a bowl of cereal”.   We held our laughter until we got over an aisle, but I felt I’d just witnessed a priceless memory for them.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:13 AM, WOSdrummer99 said:

Have you tried the “string” cure yet?  Seriously, my Dad had mixed emotions.  He was happy the cramps stopped but aggravated that the “stupid, followed by expletives, string”, (his words) stopped them.  😂🤣😂

So many folks today equate a college degree with higher intelligence.  Probably more so now than early in the 1900’s.  My parents were both avid readers (a great gift they gave to me) but neither had finished high school.  My Mom made it through the 6th grade before requirements at home caused her to drop out.  My Dad only made it through the 3rd grade before his Dad died & he went to work to help his family.  They had a subscription to Reader’s Digest while I was in high school.  Once there was an education equivalency test in one of them.  As I remember, it was 34 questions.  If you answered 8-10 you rated as a HS graduate.  11-13 as someone who went to college but didn’t get a degree.  14 or above you were the equivalent of a college graduate.  My sister, who had an Associate Degree from Lamar got 11.  I got 13.  My Mom got 18, and my Dad answered 26.  My sister and I were blown away, but I never let her forget I scored higher 😂.  This was about 1960 or so, and Vidor was having their first Miss Vidor beauty contest.  She won first place out of 30+ girls, so she got the looks.  😂😂🤣😂😂

Btw, I posted another example of education vs intelligence on this thread on page 1, June 7.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

So many folks today equate a college degree with higher intelligence.  Probably more so now than early in the 1900’s.  My parents were both avid readers (a great gift they gave to me) but neither had finished high school.  My Mom made it through the 6th grade before requirements at home caused her to drop out.  My Dad only made it through the 3rd grade before his Dad died & he went to work to help his family.  They had a subscription to Reader’s Digest while I was in high school.  Once there was an education equivalency test in one of them.  As I remember, it was 34 questions.  If you answered 8-10 you rated as a HS graduate.  11-13 as someone who went to college but didn’t get a degree.  14 or above you were the equivalent of a college graduate.  My sister, who had an Associate Degree from Lamar got 11.  I got 13.  My Mom got 18, and my Dad answered 26.  My sister and I were blown away, but I never let her forget I scored higher 😂.  This was about 1960 or so, and Vidor was having their first Miss Vidor beauty contest.  She won first place out of 30+ girls, so she got the looks.  😂😂🤣😂😂

Btw, I posted another example of education vs intelligence on this thread on page 1, June 7.

School at any level doesn’t make a person intelligent. School gives a person knowledge.

It is like the difference between ignorance and stupidity.  

Why do our brains work so differently?  As I’ve posted before, my brain can’t comprehend a universe with no end, and even if there was an end, what’s on the other side of “the end”?  I used to go to the horse races with a friend I worked with.  He could remember races from 3 weeks back.  I couldn’t remember the last race.  I used to sing a lot (off key) and he ask me how I could remember the words to so many songs.  Others can speak many languages.  Only class I failed at school was French.  My Spainish is limited to uno, dos, tres, fajitas and margaritas.  I was a whiz at math, and when I say math, I mean numbers.  When I took Algebra and they had letters in lieu of numbers, boom, my mind went into lock mode.  Each of us seem to have some strengths and many weaknesses in our brain.  Some are poets (my poetry limited to ‘a man from Nantucket’), other engineers, astronomers, musically inclined.  For a society, it’s a good thing.  Be weird if we were all poets, and not much would get done.
Our brain is a mystery to me.  

Another in the many things I can’t comprehend.  Why would an immigrant from Mexico wave a Mexican flag?  Think about it.  You live in a 💩hole country so bad that you have to leave it.  Then get to a better place and wave the 💩holes country’s flag.  Makes no sense.  If America got so bad I had to leave it, hell would freeze over before I’d be waving an American flag.

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

Another in the many things I can’t comprehend.  Why would an immigrant from Mexico wave a Mexican flag?  Think about it.  You live in a 💩hole country so bad that you have to leave it.  Then get to a better place and wave the 💩holes country’s flag.  Makes no sense.  If America got so bad I had to leave it, hell would freeze over before I’d be waving an American flag.

Just give me your money……

On 1/16/2022 at 10:32 AM, Hagar said:

Why do our brains work so differently?  As I’ve posted before, my brain can’t comprehend a universe with no end, and even if there was an end, what’s on the other side of “the end”?  I used to go to the horse races with a friend I worked with.  He could remember races from 3 weeks back.  I couldn’t remember the last race.  I used to sing a lot (off key) and he ask me how I could remember the words to so many songs.  Others can speak many languages.  Only class I failed at school was French.  My Spainish is limited to uno, dos, tres, fajitas and margaritas.  I was a whiz at math, and when I say math, I mean numbers.  When I took Algebra and they had letters in lieu of numbers, boom, my mind went into lock mode.  Each of us seem to have some strengths and many weaknesses in our brain.  Some are poets (my poetry limited to ‘a man from Nantucket’), other engineers, astronomers, musically inclined.  For a society, it’s a good thing.  Be weird if we were all poets, and not much would get done.
Our brain is a mystery to me.  

Very good post. I can relate to everything you said! Fortunately for me, I was born with very few weaknesses. 😂

• 2 weeks later...

A admire folks who can successfully think outside the box.  I might have posted some of these before, but I still want to share.  You know they impressed me since I still remember them.  From Readers Digest - a survey of pickup lines/idea for the seduction of women.  Had the usual, which I don’t remember much.  One was wear a uniform, many women fall for that.  The winner, by far, no contest, was the guy who would engage a girl in conversation, then tell them that he was impotent, and the Dr’s didn’t know why.  He just couldn’t perform anymore, no doubt with a sad face.  At that point, many women saw it as a challenge to help this poor man.  Bingo!  Score!  Touchdown!  Lol.

Next was from Paul Harvey.  Guy in Detroit had his car stolen.  So many stolen there, way down the line of Police priority.  But he added, he was in the construction business & had enough explosives in the trunk to blow up a city block.  Bam!  Thirty minutes later they had retrieved his car.  Oh, and there were no explosives in the trunk.  He said he was sorry, just mistaken.  Lol.

The last from TV (History maybe?).  Back in the 20’s, hot dog weiners were alleged to be almost uneatable since they were made out of the dredges of meat.  The guy that had opened Coney Island Hot Dogs was going broke.  Folks weren’t buying.  His idea, he got several actors in white lab coats with stethoscopes around their necks to stand out front eating his hot dogs.  Wow, they must be okay.  Business started booming.

Hope y’all enjoy these as much as I did. 

On 1/13/2022 at 5:40 AM, Hagar said:

No one who knows my buddy Hagar would question that!!  But we both had the good fortune or marrying (and staying married to) a beauty.  And that’s more impressive anyway!  (At least we can tell ourselves that 🤪)

I want to take the time to address an area of discussion where I break off from my conservative friends, the legalization of marijuana.  First, I’ve never used it in any form.  I was vehemently against it for my whole life until about the age of 70 (6 year ago).  It finally dawned on me it’s a fight we can’t win.  We’ve thrown everything we had had it for 60 years and it’s use increases.  So much like prohibition, it not only continues, but is lucrative for the drug cartels.  We know it’s a pain reliever.  I’m almost positive it’s safer than opioids.  Also, opioid tolerance builds up significantly as it’s used (I know that from personal experience), and I’m fairly sure that mj doesn’t.  In the States that have legalized mj, for recreational or medicinal purposes, opioid use/deaths has decreased.  Physically, it doesn’t appear to be any more harmful than alcohol (although I’d think the effects of long term smoking of it wouldn’t be good for the lungs, much like abusing alcohol is rough on the liver).  If legalized, I’d use the edible forms.  I realize that legalizing it would create problems for law enforcement (is he high on mj?), but certainly no worse than prescription (or off the street) medications (is he high on oxy?).  It would also free up law enforcement & our jails to pursue more dangerous forms of self medication.  The main cause of death in Americans 18 to 48 is fentanyl or other high-powered opioids.  Legalization of mj would cut those numbers.
Anyway, I can see both sides to this dilemma, but I’m convinced that legalization will do more good than harm.  Give it some serious thought if it ever comes to the ballot box.

This is the hidden content, please

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

I want to take the time to address an area of discussion where I break off from my conservative friends, the legalization of marijuana.  First, I’ve never used it in any form.  I was vehemently against it for my whole life until about the age of 70 (6 year ago).  It finally dawned on me it’s a fight we can’t win.  We’ve thrown everything we had had it for 60 years and it’s use increases.  So much like prohibition, it not only continues, but is lucrative for the drug cartels.  (1)We know it’s a pain reliever.  I’m almost positive it’s safer than opioids.  Also, opioid tolerance builds up significantly as it’s used (I know that from personal experience), and I’m fairly sure that mj doesn’t.  In the States that have legalized mj, for recreational or medicinal purposes, opioid use/deaths has decreased.  Physically, it doesn’t appear to be any more harmful than alcohol (although I’d think the effects of long term smoking of it wouldn’t be good for the lungs, much like abusing alcohol is rough on the liver).  If legalized, I’d use the edible forms.  I realize that legalizing it would create problems for law enforcement (is he high on mj?), but certainly no worse than prescription (or off the street) medications (is he high on oxy?) (2) It would also free up law enforcement & our jails to pursue more dangerous forms of self medication.  The main cause of death in Americans 18 to 48 is fentanyl or other high-powered opioids.  Legalization of mj would cut those numbers.
Anyway, I can see both sides to this dilemma, but I’m convinced that legalization will do more good than harm.  Give it some serious thought if it ever comes to the ballot box.

This is the hidden content, please

This is addressing the argument, not the legalization.

(1) I’m not saying the statistics, whatever they are, may or may not be wrong because I simply don’t know. I find it hard to believe however that someone would not want to risk a misdemeanor conviction for possession of marijuana so they will turn to a potential felony conviction for possession of an opioid. Here is the claimed logic. If I get marijuana and get caught it is maybe the equivalent of a traffic citation (or slightly more) so I am going to get some opioid and if I get caught it can be time  in prison.  Whether a person cares or does not care about marijuana legalization, I don’t understand the opioid connection.

(2) I never buy the resources argument. Probably 99% of marijuana possession cases are made by patrol officers and I doubt there any or very many of them even care to look for marijuana. It simply is not done. Many district attorneys have quit taking minor possession of marijuana charges anyway. I think about four years ago the Harris County district attorney quit accepting them and some counties locally have done the same. It does not matter what the law says, the district attorney has prosecutorial discretion to simply refuse the case. The overcrowded jails for marijuana possession or selling up marijuana I think is a wishful and made up statistics by proponents of its legalization. Anytime someone is charged with a vehicular fatality such as DWI homicide, someone will make the statement on social media that the prisons are overcrowded with possession of marijuana cases. No they aren’t. Possession of marijuana in almost every case is a misdemeanor served in the county jail and the County Jail’s are not full with marijuana possession cases. It is simply a repeated statement claimed as a fact from another social media person‘s opinion. I have always said that if you say something one time it is a rumor but if it is repeated, it is a fact. One time I was conducting a shift meeting at the police station as a shift supervisor. We knew that the city manager was about to name someone as an acting police chief as ours has just resigned. We were almost certain that it was going to be an outside person with no tie after the city and who would not apply to be the final selection. It would be just an experienced command level officer that would hold down the fort until a new chief was named. So in my shift meeting I ask the question, “Has anyone heard the rumor that the assistant chief of police in Amarillo Texas was taking a leave of absence from his own department and would be here this week as the acting chief?”. Every officer in the meeting (about 11) said that they have not heard any such statement. They could not have because I made it up about 30 seconds earlier. As a follow up I told my shift, then it is probably a typical nonsense Police rumor someone made up so forget about it. The next day a lieutenant approached me and asked what time the Amarillo Assistant Chief Of Police was going to be here. It is a simple equation. I made it a rumor a few seconds earlier and then told everyone that it was probably just a nonsensical rumor. Forget about it. At least one if not several went out immediately and said, “I heard that…..” and it became “fact”. 

It is much like the medical marijuana arguments. For the most part they are bogus and simply it means to try to let a person get his hands on some marijuana legally. I don’t know how many times I have read that people who are chemotherapy and maybe have stage three or four cancer should be able to get marijuana to relieve their suffering. Absolutely!! I think if you’re going to MD Anderson or similar  facility and a doctor gives you a prescription because you have cancer, you should absolutely be able to get it legally. That is generally not what is wanted however. I believe when California first passed  their medical marijuana law it was written such as, they basically had street vendors. You went and told your symptoms to a nurse practitioner or similar and they would issue you a script. So anyone could go to a street corner practitioner and say, I get nausea in the afternoon so give me some marijuana.  Anyone that thinks that was enacted as a reason for a new prescription drug, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Another bogus argument is that local law-enforcement makes it profit. Actually I would venture to say that they lose money on every arrest. 

If someone’s argument is, it’s no different than alcohol so let’s  legalize it, I get that as a valid and reasonable opinion. Most of the other arguments are, I agree with the prior statement on legalization because it is the same as alcohol  but I am trying  to figure out what I think are reasonable justifications.

21 hours ago, tvc184 said:

This is addressing the argument, not the legalization.

(1) I’m not saying the statistics, whatever they are, may or may not be wrong because I simply don’t know. I find it hard to believe however that someone would not want to risk a misdemeanor conviction for possession of marijuana so they will turn to a potential felony conviction for possession of an opioid. Here is the claimed logic. If I get marijuana and get caught it is maybe the equivalent of a traffic citation (or slightly more) so I am going to get some opioid and if I get caught it can be time  in prison.  Whether a person cares or does not care about marijuana legalization, I don’t understand the opioid connection.

(2) I never buy the resources argument. Probably 99% of marijuana possession cases are made by patrol officers and I doubt there any or very many of them even care to look for marijuana. It simply is not done. Many district attorneys have quit taking minor possession of marijuana charges anyway. I think about four years ago the Harris County district attorney quit accepting them and some counties locally have done the same. It does not matter what the law says, the district attorney has prosecutorial discretion to simply refuse the case. The overcrowded jails for marijuana possession or selling up marijuana I think is a wishful and made up statistics by proponents of its legalization. Anytime someone is charged with a vehicular fatality such as DWI homicide, someone will make the statement on social media that the prisons are overcrowded with possession of marijuana cases. No they aren’t. Possession of marijuana in almost every case is a misdemeanor served in the county jail and the County Jail’s are not full with marijuana possession cases. It is simply a repeated statement claimed as a fact from another social media person‘s opinion. I have always said that if you say something one time it is a rumor but if it is repeated, it is a fact. One time I was conducting a shift meeting at the police station as a shift supervisor. We knew that the city manager was about to name someone as an acting police chief as ours has just resigned. We were almost certain that it was going to be an outside person with no tie after the city and who would not apply to be the final selection. It would be just an experienced command level officer that would hold down the fort until a new chief was named. So in my shift meeting I ask the question, “Has anyone heard the rumor that the assistant chief of police in Amarillo Texas was taking a leave of absence from his own department and would be here this week as the acting chief?”. Every officer in the meeting (about 11) said that they have not heard any such statement. They could not have because I made it up about 30 seconds earlier. As a follow up I told my shift, then it is probably a typical nonsense Police rumor someone made up so forget about it. The next day a lieutenant approached me and asked what time the Amarillo Assistant Chief Of Police was going to be here. It is a simple equation. I made it a rumor a few seconds earlier and then told everyone that it was probably just a nonsensical rumor. Forget about it. At least one if not several went out immediately and said, “I heard that…..” and it became “fact”. 

It is much like the medical marijuana arguments. For the most part they are bogus and simply it means to try to let a person get his hands on some marijuana legally. I don’t know how many times I have read that people who are chemotherapy and maybe have stage three or four cancer should be able to get marijuana to relieve their suffering. Absolutely!! I think if you’re going to MD Anderson or similar  facility and a doctor gives you a prescription because you have cancer, you should absolutely be able to get it legally. That is generally not what is wanted however. I believe when California first passed  their medical marijuana law it was written such as, they basically had street vendors. You went and told your symptoms to a nurse practitioner or similar and they would issue you a script. So anyone could go to a street corner practitioner and say, I get nausea in the afternoon so give me some marijuana.  Anyone that thinks that was enacted as a reason for a new prescription drug, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Another bogus argument is that local law-enforcement makes it profit. Actually I would venture to say that they lose money on every arrest. 

If someone’s argument is, it’s no different than alcohol so let’s  legalize it, I get that as a valid and reasonable opinion. Most of the other arguments are, I agree with the prior statement on legalization because it is the same as alcohol  but I am trying  to figure out what I think are reasonable justifications.

I have no idea how the system/supply chain works now days.  When I got out of the Army I came home to discover that one of my neighbors had got hooked on drugs.  I ask him, “Joe, how were you so stupid you started using these addictive drugs?”.  He told me, “We started off getting marijuana.  We had us a good old time.  After using it for several months, we went to buy more and our dealer said he was sorry he was out but he had these pills we could buy”.  Thus my friend, and his were drawn into the harder drugs via mj as the bait.  Does that happen now?  I’ve no idea, but mj is still illegal in Texas, in any form, to my knowledge.  Opioid pills are not.  They’re legally obtained via a Dr’s prescription, so it’s quite possible that for some, opioid pills are more easily obtainable than mj.  I wouldn’t have the slightest idea how to obtain mj if I so desired.

In this day and age can you believe there’s actually people who don’t believe in UFOS or alien life (said tongue in cheek)?  You’d think recent video released by the Navy would make believers of everyone.  Roswell caused my epiphany.  After watching/listening to the witnesses, and knowing the first reports, by the Army, was they’d recovered a Flying Saucer (Disc), it seemed plausible.  Then I started looking at the “discoveries” we made after the recovery.  The most significant thing, and put the seal in the deal, was the SR-71 Blackbird.  While watching a show about planes a design engineer said that by the time a new plane came off the assembly line it was already obsolete.  The SR-71 made its first flight in 1964.  Now 59 years later, it still holds the record for the fastest plane.  Quite a technological leap.  IMO that leap was made by reverse engineering the crashed UFO.  Another significant bit of information, Project Blue Book.  It was designed, Imo, to debunk UFOS.  The scientific individual was Astronomer Dr. J Allen Hynek, a man who was convinced there were no such thing as UFOS.  By the end of his time on PBB, he was a firm believer.  
If you don’t believe in UFOS, and are more comfortable not believing, my advise to you is don’t study the information, facts, witnesses, or videos.  

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

The scientific individual was Astronomer Dr. J Allen Hynek, a man who was convinced there were no such thing as UFOS

He was the technical consultant for "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind". Only thing wrong about the movie was it happened at Area 51. And nobody was chosen to leave with them. I wonder how many white coats made brown stains that night.

My son has Amazon Prime.  Heck, we haven’t had electricity long here in Evadale.  He knows I’m an avid fan of Jack Reacher books, and he’s started watching the series on A Prime.  He’s hooked.  In the book Reacher is 6’5” 250, which is why Tom Cruise didn’t fit in the movie.  The new guy, Alan Ritchson is 6’3” 250 so he’s believable.  A fellow actor said he looked like an aircraft carrier with arms & legs 😂🤣😂.  The TV series is based on the first book, Killing Floor.  You read it, you’re probably hooked.  I’ve read all 24 & look forward to 25.  If you like to read, I couldn’t think of a better series to start.  I’ve always been an avid reader, but when our kids came along I wasn’t able to read as often.  Now I have the time but my eyelids get heavy, lol.

Curious, do any of you read Reacher?

There are quite a few books on “life after death” experiences.  I’ve read a couple, many years ago.  Many scientists (Doctors) say it’s just the brain “firing” after the heart stops, creating false memories - or what we wish was happening.  That explanation may be true in some cases, I’ve no idea.  Still, there’s some of those cases that report their spirit leaving the body and before moving on, watching the medical people trying to revive them.  Many accurately report the goings on while they were ‘dead’, of things they would otherwise have no idea happened.  There are several significant things I remember from these books.  The overwhelming feeling of love/joy/security they all felt as they traveled toward, and were in the presence of the Light/God.  Many didn’t want to return to their bodies, and 100% of them said they no longer feared death.  As I get older, that’s a comforting memory.

After going in the Army I was confronted with our (mis)pronunciation of words.  Initially it was the State of Illinois, which we pronounced Illinoise. Guys from there corrected me, it’s Illinoi, the “S” is silent.  Okay, I got it, but that opened my eyes/ears to others.  In Texas we slaughter many words - pantys is pannies - dental is dennal - pillow is piller, I could go on but you get the idea.  Others slaughter some words too.  Some in Pennsylvania say radiator.  It’s the way it’s spelled, but not pronounced, it’s pronounced rediator.  I jumped on them - using radio (radio) not radio.  Then some yahoos call creek - crick.  Again I’m on them - you dumbkoff, you get a crick in your neck, it’s creek.  We banter back & forth.  A buddy from SD, gigged my using y’all & yonder, and would you believe, before I got out, I heard him using them.  

One I hear most mispronouncing on TV is “for”, saying “fer”.  One thing about TV, it’s bringing our pronunciation of words together.  I bow to local pronunciation of local words, like Illinois, but after 76 years, I’m not worried if I pronounce something “my way”, right or wrong.  So y’all fix your leaking radiator and go down to the creek.  I’ll be waiting for you.  😂😂😂🤣🤣😂😂😂