Nederland Students Denied Their Diplomas

Hagar

Two Nederland students denied their diplomas due to putting on sashes of the branch of service they’d enlisted in.  One had a Marine sash & one an Air Force.  Evidently it was against the rules, but the incident gives pause to the question, should the rule be changed to allow it?  In my mind, and as we celebrate Memorial Day, the obvious answer is yes.  We should recognize the young folks who volunteer to protect our country.  Jmo

This is the hidden content, please

12 hours ago, Hagar said:

Two Nederland students denied their diplomas due to putting on sashes of the branch of service they’d enlisted in.  One had a Marine sash & one an Air Force.  Evidently it was against the rules, but the incident gives pause to the question, should the rule be changed to allow it?  In my mind, and as we celebrate Memorial Day, the obvious answer is yes.  We should recognize the young folks who volunteer to protect our country.  Jmo

This is the hidden content, please

At our Lumberton graduation, the military sashes were actually encouraged (the way it should be...). 

It was probably the 3rd student that caused the disciplinary actions for all of them. Even if so, I don't agree with the decision to withhold the diplomas. But rules are rules. We had similar rules in place when I graduated. The thing they gave on the stage was empty... just in case someone decided to act a fool.

52 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

It was probably the 3rd student that caused the disciplinary actions for all of them. Even if so, I don't agree with the decision to withhold the diplomas. But rules are rules. We had similar rules in place when I graduated. The thing they gave on the stage was empty... just in case someone decided to act a fool.

And the third wasn’t a sash, which is significant when considering the “rules”.  Still, I hope they give the young men their diplomas, and change the rules to allow Military sashes.

3 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

At our Lumberton graduation, the military sashes were actually encouraged (the way it should be...). 

My g’son graduated from Lumberton several years ago that I attended, and now that you mentioned it, I’m almost certain several had Military sashes then.

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Bingo. The other student decided to wrap a Mexican flag around his wardrobe. This was not anti-military, simply a dress code violation. Please don’t jump all over Nederland for attempting to have some semblance of control.

41 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I understand. They should include the armed services sash as accepted attire. I think they lost more than they gained on this one. 

Yep, bad press for following protocol. Armed service is nothing but rules and protocol. One would think they would have obeyed better. Nederland has a list of rules that have been signed before graduation.....proper attire being one of them. 

17 hours ago, baddog said:

Yep, bad press for following protocol. Armed service is nothing but rules and protocol. One would think they would have obeyed better. Nederland has a list of rules that have been signed before graduation.....proper attire being one of them. 

Yep. I’m not dogging (see what I did there...) Nederland for following their own published rules. I’m saying they should adjust them for the future and admit they should have included the military sashes in the first place. 

24 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Yep. I’m not dogging (see what I did there...) Nederland for following their own published rules. I’m saying they should adjust them for the future and admit they should have included the military sashes in the first place. 

To each his own. I have no problem with change. I’m just explaining why it was done. 

1 minute ago, baddog said:

To each his own. I have no problem with change. I’m just explaining why it was done. 

I totally understand why it was done. They set up a poor policy that wasn’t thought through. Rules are rules though. I have no problem with having rules. They just need to make the adjustment for smarter rules. 

36 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Are you against them being honored at graduation?

I didn’t think my response implied that and I have already stated that if they change it it’s not a problem. The man said they should be honored and I said they are honored. 

1 hour ago, baddog said:

I didn’t think my response implied that and I have already stated that if they change it it’s not a problem. The man said they should be honored and I said they are honored. 

Fair enough. I think he meant they should be honored at the actual graduation ceremony that is attended by many more than the awards or scholarship ceremony. 

On 6/4/2021 at 10:35 AM, RETIREDFAN1 said:

If they sue, they'll get the diplomas.......

They get their diplomas, they were earned. They simply don’t give them the piece of paper that night but hold it for a few days in kind of a, “we told you so”. It is a punishment of inconvenience.