AUSTIN SMITHEY NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT WARREN

2 hours ago, aTmfan06 said:

I see a lot of people talking about Warren needs a coach that cares about the kids and such. That’s true. But one thing you need for a winning program is Athletes and talent. Not trying to burst bygones bubble Warren just hasn’t had that combination in football for a long time.

2 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

The talent Warren needs is due North of them (Woodville and Colmesneil)

It starts at home.....1st

Kids have to be taught to work hard with consistency and be diligent.  If you want to have success put in the work daily. 

2nd: youth program (outside of school) has to have strong leaders (no bending the rules for friends or friends’ kids)

3rd parents stop talking about coaches decisions in front of kids whether it be lil league or yuk.

4 hours ago, 88Warrior said:

Like someone said earlier there are always two sides of the story and a lot of times the only side you’ll usually get is the one from the disgruntled side...Like someone else said it’s tough to be held accountable..especially when 6 years in you’ve won 9 of approximately 60 games that were scheduled in those seasons...  He chose to resign... Coach B is a great man and I wish nothing but the best for him...And just so you know the only hire and fire the school board makes is the Superintendent...that’s it..no other position...So my question is have you  talked to the Superintendent directly about your concerns? Have you talked to any of board members? I guarantee you they will listen to what you have to say...Better yet get on the agenda at the next board meeting and talk to both....You’ll get more information that way than on a message board... 

hey I get the 9 wins in 6 years. 
he did resign.....but do you know why????? Because that was not his intention.

don’t act like school board members and sups don’t mingle after hours especially in small towns.....I ve seen it first hand.

and don’t sit there and think school board members can’t persuade actions thru sup.....especially a new one. It happens all over districts.

no I haven’t talked to the sup directly, damage has been done already.....Other than telling her how poorly she has managed the situation nothing else needs to be said....it’s not like she going to take my advice....she should just be the AD and SUP.

I didn’t get my information from a message board....I’m the one who started the thread. 

On 6/1/2021 at 5:44 AM, Matthew328 said:

In a small ISD the AD/HFC reports directly to the supt....why wouldn't a new supt want to bring in their own people..athletics is a big deal in small towns...they are going to want to ride w/someone they hired in most cases....

This isn’t true. In any high school system the pecking order for teachers and coaches including the AD starts with the principal.

6 hours ago, 88Warrior said:

Like someone said earlier there are always two sides of the story and a lot of times the only side you’ll usually get is the one from the disgruntled side...Like someone else said it’s tough to be held accountable..especially when 6 years in you’ve won 9 of approximately 60 games that were scheduled in those seasons...  He chose to resign... Coach B is a great man and I wish nothing but the best for him...And just so you know the only hire and fire the school board makes is the Superintendent...that’s it..no other position...So my question is have you  talked to the Superintendent directly about your concerns? Have you talked to any of board members? I guarantee you they will listen to what you have to say...Better yet get on the agenda at the next board meeting and talk to both....You’ll get more information that way than on a message board... 

Finally someone who knows the proper chain of command and what exactly the school board does and doesn’t do. Thanks for posting 88 I was about to bite my tongue off. Some of these folks listen to too much coffee conversation at the FOC SHOP 😂

5 hours ago, 88Warrior said:

You forgot about 1990...lost to Rodney Thomas led Groveton...

A good club that year( lord it’s been a long time since we had a good one). I think they actually beat EC that year by 60+. I wish they would have pulled the dawgs off because EC has gotten revevenge for 31 years 🤦‍♂️😂😂

23 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Wrong, the AD is an administrator on the same level as the Principal.  Look at the flow chart, AD'S don't answer to the Principal. 

I’ve never been in a situation to have input on the hiring or dismissal of an AD. I have on several occasions many years ago, seen them evaluated for several reasons by a campus principal. These were not matters of discipline or anything that would even warrant thoughts of dismissal but they started at the principals level. I may have needed a flowchart then, thank goodness I don’t anymore 😂

On 6/1/2021 at 2:45 PM, 5GallonBucket said:

8 plus kids that’s an odd number to throw out.

I understand finding someone else due to a lack of wins but, When has the “job gotten done” on all fronts at Warren been done before.....most schools don’t get the job done at all sports.

I guess jacks getting the girls to playoffs wasn’t getting the job done. If wins really do matter......

Please show me the  history.

I do hope the best for Warren but givin this late in the season doesn’t look good.

usually this type of move would ve happened after the season so they could start looking for someone...so why all of sudden now....that doesn’t raise a red flag to some of you.....

If she had the best interest in the program and knew what the current AD s record was over the past 6years this would ve been done a whole lot sooner.  

if you want your wins to improve...parents have to do there part....they have to spend more time with their kids to instill in them work ethic from an early age.  Kids should want to spend there time working and improving skills whenever time is available......A coach can only do so much with the time he has and what’s out there. 
and I’m talking in general here not just with this situation specifically.

8 is a pretty even number if you ask me... 😂 

Winning at all sports hasn’t been done in Warren in a very long time. Buckner had 6 years to turn it around and didn’t. So it’s time for someone else to be brought in and try their hand in it. 

The leave being late in the season was Buckner’s decision. He chose to leave. Now the reason why he chose to leave this late is unknown to the public. Why not attend the next board meeting and ask your book of questions? The guys and gal will listen to you, I promise you that. 

Lastly I do agree, the cultural winning shift has to start with the parents and youth leagues. They too have to be help accountable. 

9 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

It starts at home.....1st

Kids have to be taught to work hard with consistency and be diligent.  If you want to have success put in the work daily. 

2nd: youth program (outside of school) has to have strong leaders (no bending the rules for friends or friends’ kids)

3rd parents stop talking about coaches decisions in front of kids whether it be lil league or yuk.

Meant UIL

I don’t know the Superintendent or the AD that’s leaving. I do know half of the board who are the kinda people who you would want working for your kids whether it was youth sports or checkers. Warren has had some excellent AD/HC over the years that were average on the record books at Warren . One went to the staff at WOS I believe as the QB coach and helped the Mustangs win a State title or two. Another was dismissed and within a few days was on a staff in the NFL. There are more over the years who didn’t win at Warren. All these guys could coach. I haven’t been to many Warren athletic events over the last few years but I gotta say last year I went to check out a Varsity Basketball game. I was amazed to see the AD on the bench as an assistant coach . Maybe the AD got tired of wearing that hat . I don’t think you can blame Warrens lackluster record the last 6 years on the AD and I don’t think the school board sits around a coffee shop conspiring to run off a current or past coach. I think the parents and kids at Warren aren’t willing to put in the work in takes to be successful year in and year out. Until they decide to do that work Nick Sabin or Dabo Swinney couldn’t win there. 

You are right, Darrel and Brian are at Jasper. However, the kids have to want to put in the extra work. Newton graduates this Friday and the kids that will be coming back next year will be in the weight room next week just as they have been doing since the end of football this year.

Newton competes in powerlifting every year and have several coaches coaching powerlifting. Does Warren have a powerlifting program?  Powerlifting is required for all football players and a record is kept on the progress of each player. 
Powerlifting and success go hand in hand when all the kids buy into it.

7 hours ago, whsalum said:

It may be time for Warren to look at the Athletic programs at Central, Central Heights and Lufkin Hudson. An AD/ Head Basketball or Baseball coach may make for a more successful athletic program overall. 

idk if central is the one to model your program after but all of those programs are located close to larger cities like nac or lufkin. the two more successful programs definitely have the benefit of transfers from the larger programs in the area

It may be time for Warren to look at the Athletic programs at Central, Central Heights and Lufkin Hudson. An AD/ Head Basketball or Baseball coach may make for a more successful athletic program overall. 

I’ll have to disagree with you on this one…I know you’re a big basketball guy…but despite historically not being a good football program it’s still what brings the WISD communities together….even though baseball and basketball have been much more successful over the years…just my opinion though…

10 minutes ago, waltersobchak said:

idk if central is the one to model your program after but all of those programs are located close to larger cities like nac or lufkin. the two more successful programs definitely have the benefit of transfers from the larger programs in the area

Great point!

What is your thought behind this statement?

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

What is your thought behind this statement?

I think if Warren would consider giving the AD job to a top notch basketball or baseball coach the overall success of the athletic programs could improve. I have seen Warren field excellent baseball and softball teams in the not so distant past. They also put some solid basketball teams on the hardwood a few years back under Leland Hand and Chris Carter. I’m just throwing a suggestion out there. Everyone always says hire a AD/HC in football and it may be time to rethink those hires.

• WOSgrad changed the title to AUSTIN SMITHEY NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT WARREN