WOS Looking for a New Coach

On 6/23/2021 at 10:35 AM, Jack of All Trades said:

@Mr. Buddy Garrity I've heard teacher pay is good but coaching pay is not.  I don't think were losing people for money but leadership.  At first I see a few leave I think a normal year but everyone jumping off the ship.  

It's bad.the athletic department is killing the rest of any sport at w.o .as long as the football team wins thats all that matters.and that's not gud for the kids. Kids can't even practice in the gym. Dj Wilson truly loved those kids. And he could only do what he was allowed to do.

47 minutes ago, dj said:

It's bad.the athletic department is killing the rest of any sport at w.o .as long as the football team wins thats all that matters.and that's not gud for the kids. Kids can't even practice in the gym. Dj Wilson truly loved those kids. And he could only do what he was allowed to do.

If that's true, why build all new facilities?

People leave jobs for many reasons. Coaches at WOS are good, and good coaches are in high demand. Due to so many teachers leaving the district, they're offering new hires a $10,000 signing bonus. Teachers are leaving for a reason... and I doubt it's because of football.

It’s past time to address the elephant in the room. It’s time for the athletic director at WOS to step down. The athletic program is struggling. Not from lack of athletes but lack of consistent coaching. There is a TOXIC atmosphere that pushes good coaches away. We are short coaches at  the varsity, junior varsity, freshman, 8 grade and 7th grade. This is true for boys and girls sports. Player numbers are dwindling. This is a sign of poor management and would not be tolerated anywhere else. 

@Trufanis spot on.  We have board member that the AD doesn’t want around HIS field house or HIS field.  Its THE COMMUNITIES FIELD!!!  Both Superintendent and AD are too blame.  We not successful in other sports because we don’t allow them to be.

Go to the junior high after school and we have 100 kids always practicing to be big Mustangs one day.  That’s called a system.  WE the Community have built that not ONE MAN.  Whoever take over WOS will win at football but we should be winning at everything.  The big question is why aren’t we??  The answer needs to be solved by the two guys mentioned at the TOP.  

10 hours ago, Jack of All Trades said:

@Trufanis spot on.  We have board member that the AD doesn’t want around HIS field house or HIS field.  Its THE COMMUNITIES FIELD!!!  Both Superintendent and AD are too blame.  We not successful in other sports because we don’t allow them to be.

Go to the junior high after school and we have 100 kids always practicing to be big Mustangs one day.  That’s called a system.  WE the Community have built that not ONE MAN.  Whoever take over WOS will win at football but we should be winning at everything.  The big question is why aren’t we??  The answer needs to be solved by the two guys mentioned at the TOP.  

Maybe some of you should take this argument to the football forum. Could get some responses.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Maybe some of you should take this argument to the football forum. Could get some responses.

Most of the responses will be about how much the  athletic director is loved and how much the football team has won in the past. An athletic director is responsible for ALL sports, boys and girls. The sad fact is the football fans will sacrifice the entire sports program out of loyalty to one man. I thought we were supposed to be loyal to the kids? 

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Ah, they're all used to hearing fans of non-football sports blame a football program for lack of success.

And most of the WO-S fans there also know the reason for most of these folks wanting Cornel Thompson to step down has absolutely nothing to do with the state of the other sports in the West Orange-Cove CISD.

And that, my friends, is the real elephant in the room.

6 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Ah, they're all used to hearing fans of non-football sports blame a football program for lack of success.

And most of the WO-S fans there also know the reason for most of these folks wanting Cornel Thompson to step down has absolutely nothing to do with the state of the other sports in the West Orange-Cove CISD.

And that, my friends, is the real elephant in the room.

If we are going to have a conversation It requires everyone to be brutally honest and open about their thoughts. Stop being vague. Lol. Soooo what is the reason folks want the Wos AD to step down? Since it has “nothing to do with the state of the other sports”? The so called “real elephant in the room”. 

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I am a bit curious as to why the high turnover rate for boys head basketball coach.

Won't this be like 6 different head coaches in a 10-12 year span?you have the same turnover for volleyball, softball, girls basketball and just about ALL sports at the middle school. I will say the girls track coach at the middle school did an awesome job this year. I hope she returns. 

4 minutes ago, Trufan said:
5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I am a bit curious as to why the high turnover rate for boys head basketball coach.

Won't this be like 6 different head coaches in a 10-12 year span?

you have the same turnover for volleyball, softball, girls basketball and just about ALL sports at the middle school. I will say the girls track coach at the middle school did an awesome job this year. I hope she returns. 

41 minutes ago, Trufan said:

If we are going to have a conversation It requires everyone to be brutally honest and open about their thoughts. Stop being vague. Lol. Soooo what is the reason folks want the Wos AD to step down? Since it has “nothing to do with the state of the other sports”? The so called “real elephant in the room”. 

Nothing but honesty from all us Mustangs here on the site. Even the ones I don't agree with, are brutally honest with their opinions. 

I won't call out by name who most recently spoke of hiring a new AD/HFC. Though it was expressed it should be based on race. Adding that, "IT is time!" I've heard it from others that the make up of the district should determine the race of the coach. Imo, it should be the best candidate for the job. I know there are some minority coaches on staff that could take the reins and lead the kids to greatness. But as of right now, Coach T hasn't made any announcements. And to go back to your earlier post...

8 hours ago, Trufan said:

The sad fact is the football fans will sacrifice the entire sports program out of loyalty to one man. I thought we were supposed to be loyal to the kids? 

It's always about the kids. Nobody packed out NRG to see Coach T.

19 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Nothing but honesty from all us Mustangs here on the site. Even the ones I don't agree with, are brutally honest with their opinions. 

I won't call out by name who most recently spoke of hiring a new AD/HFC. Though it was expressed it should be based on race. Adding that, "IT is time!" I've heard it from others that the make up of the district should determine the race of the coach. Imo, it should be the best candidate for the job. I know there are some minority coaches on staff that could take the reins and lead the kids to greatness. But as of right now, Coach T hasn't made any announcements. And to go back to your earlier post...

It's always about the kids. Nobody packed out NRG to see Coach T.

Yes I agree that administration staff teachers and coaches should reflect the student population in a minority school. I also believe that 100% of those hires should be totally qualified and the tops in their field. I want the best for our kids. The problem is to some non minority folks there are NO minorities that meet their standards. But at the same time they will lower the standards for non minorities. As far as minorities coming to the wos coaching staff. The word is out. “Come to wos at your own risk”. “You will not be treated fairly” 

7 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Outstanding. Pulling an assistant from PAs historic program is a great hire for us.

Yep.  The "word" must not be out as much as some have asserted here.

But I suspected as much.

Congrats, Coach Castille and welcome to north side of the Rainbow Bridge!