CARL ABSECK NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT BARBERS HILL

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

. We'll see how y'all feel about BH's new hire when y'all start the season 1-4. 

I am sure the BH fan base will not judge Abseck on just the first half of his first season. Even if BH does start 1-4, they are likely 1-1 in district and may very well make the playoffs. Want to bet against it? Years 2 and on will likely be even better under Abseck. Again, clearly this Abseck hire has rattled you.    

27 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

And that 1 win 14.2 is referring to is not happening in Port Arthur Texas either. 😎

They may end up being alright but they have a tough first half of the schedule. Only game I think they would be favored in is Kingwood Park to open district play. 

14 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

I am sure the BH fan base will not judge Abseck on just the first half of his first season. Even if BH does start 1-4, they may still be in the playoffs. Want to bet against it? Years 2 and on will likely be even better under Abseck. Again, clearly this Abseck hire has rattled you.    

Yep, and said the other way if BH starts 4-1 they will definitely be judging and projecting what they'll be under him. Crosby had a similar start in Prieto's first year. The district isn't that tough that bad starts affect you that much. You start 1-4 at BH though and those kids are probably checked out and at the deer lease mentally.

TW was at Allen for 12 years and won 4 titles. In those 12 years he had right at 40 playoff wins against 17 total losses. In 5 years at BH he had 3 playoff wins against 17 total losses. That's after Gage showed up with two titles and only won one or two playoff games. If no other experiment shows you that should let you know most great coaching records have a lot to do with where those guys are coaching. 

Abseck was at Cedar Park for like 16 years, only has been a head coach for six. Took over a machine of a team after the '14 season and went 16-0 his first year as a head coach. The next 4 years he didn't make it past the third round losing to Manvel twice, Shadow Creek and their district mate at the time Manor. This year with what all the CP people were calling their best team ever he finally got past Manvel before losing by 45 to DR in the title game. He took over a ready made program instead of having to build one like he'll have to do in BH and he had more talent relative to the class than he will at BH. If TW couldn't do it in five years I don't think there's any reason to believe a guy with less credentials could in that period.

What would I be rattled about? As far as I'm concerned Prieto is a better 5A-D2 coach than Abseck until he proves otherwise just like Riordan proved he was better than TW at our level. Believe it or not, at the end of the day I want BH to be good. It makes the games more preparatory and helps the district in general. 

6 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

They may end up being alright but they have a tough first half of the schedule. Only game I think they would be favored in is Kingwood Park to open district play. 

I think they'll also be favored against Heights. According to DCTF Heights only has 15 players (9 starters) returning, and lost 26. They aren't even ranked in their 6A poll, and are predicted to finish 2nd in an already weak district.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, pdawg119 said:

I think they'll also be favored against Heights. According to DCTF Heights only has 15 players (9 starters) returning, and lost 26. They aren't even ranked in their 6A poll, and are predicted to finish 2nd in an already weak district.

Heights was 6-0 in district last year and actually beat the Lamar team they're picked behind this year. Heights has a good coach(who probably won't be there much longer) and some very good players scattered through their roster including their qb Jalen Morrision who I think is one of the most slept on kids in Houston. Game is probably a true toss-up but I would still favor Heights on the strength that they had a better record in a higher classification and lost in the same second round BH did. District needs to win games like these to keep garnering respect though.