CARL ABSECK NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT BARBERS HILL

1 hour ago, Uncle Pig said:

I agree and respect your take on following the rules, and I’m sure BH is a great school that produces tons of successful people. I was just alluding to the “state title” post in that it’s going to be awfully difficult to get to that level without any black kids. It can be argued up and down, but unless you’re one of the handfuls of teams in Texas (Highland Park, Lake Travis, etc) that have lots of NFL offspring suiting up every Friday night, then the “state titles” are just wishful thinking.

I 100% agree with you on that. The thing is the state championship posts are coming from people outside of BH. I’m saying the community has a whole is happy to get the playoffs and have some success. If somehow we catch lightning in a bottle and stars align and we pull a Crosby last year, Great. If we move up to 5A D1 or even 6A then we are in major trouble and have to hope for 4th place finish. I think we know in football that we don’t have the “Joe’s”, but we compete and make the playoffs in all sports. Schools with “ athletes” aka black kids can’t all say that. I know it’s a football thread, but when was the last time Beaumont United or PAM went to the playoffs in baseball or softball? I think we do pretty well and will continue to do pretty well with what we have to work with.

36 minutes ago, TradenupBH said:

I 100% agree with you on that. The thing is the state championship posts are coming from people outside of BH. I’m saying the community has a whole is happy to get the playoffs and have some success. If somehow we catch lightning in a bottle and stars align and we pull a Crosby last year, Great. If we move up to 5A D1 or even 6A then we are in major trouble and have to hope for 4th place finish. I think we know in football that we don’t have the “Joe’s”, but we compete and make the playoffs in all sports. Schools with “ athletes” aka black kids can’t all say that. I know it’s a football thread, but when was the last time Beaumont United or PAM went to the playoffs in baseball or softball? I think we do pretty well and will continue to do pretty well with what we have to work with.

We don't go all-in on baseball and softball here even though we've had pretty good players come thru over the years. 

2 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

Word!

Why aren't people scrutinizing BU and PAM etc. about their lack of athletic diversity? Why aren't people scrutinizing the constantly unsuccessful Hispanic HISD teams about their lack of diversity? You never hear any of that. I don't know why EVERYTHING has to be about race, but if it really, really does, lets take a hard look:

6A-I: Westlake 52 (almost all white) Southlake Carroll 34 (almost all white)

6A-II Katy 51 (mostly white but call it Mixed) Cedar Hill 14 (all black) 

5A-I Denton Ryan 59 (mostly black) Cedar Park (mostly white) 14 

5A-II Aledo 56 (almost all white) Crosby 21 (mixed)

4A-I Argyle 49 (all white?) Lindale 21 (mixed) 

4A-II Carthage 70 (mixed) Gilmer 14 (mixed) 

On top of that, the two 3A Champs, Jim Ned and Canadian were all white 

So your 8 winners in the 4 largest classifications are

White or mostly white - 5 teams

Mixed - 2 teams 

Black - 1 team 

Bottom line is, white teams did very well in 2020-21 but almost anyone can win in any year. So, why are people sooo compelled to pick apart the "white teams" but stay stone cold silent on all black and all hispanic teams that don't win big? Lets put race aside. Let BH be BH, let BU be BU, and let everyone else just be who they are without racial judgment. Lets put race aside just enjoy the games!  

1 hour ago, aledoalumni said:

What do you mean by all-in? 

In Port Arthur, while our kids play baseball in little league, the focus as they get older is on football and basketball with some track mixed in.  Those kids who are good at baseball end up in the Bubble or at West Brook.  Like all sports, baseball is year around and most of the opportunities for scholarships are in football and basketball.....

On 6/16/2021 at 7:06 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

Branch is, transferred from GCM his sophomore year. Donta Allen transferred from GCM in 2014 and was our bellow running back until he got hurt the last game of the season against CE King. GCM currently has a good TE I wish would come over. Seem to have a pretty high hit rate on the GCCISD kids, makes you wonder how good Baytown could be if they went back to two schools? 

Branch, Allen,The big Tackle the went to UofH, Doucette, Yalls best Wr next year, Pretty sure there quite a few others that would have been at GCM as well. 

But our Old staff couldnt keep players around.

On 6/18/2021 at 3:04 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

We don't go all-in on baseball and softball here even though we've had pretty good players come thru over the years. 

I wasn’t knocking PAM or United, just using as an example. Point was there’s a lot of schools in this area that don’t produce playoffs in all sports.

On 6/18/2021 at 9:26 PM, Austin1985 said:

In Port Arthur, while our kids play baseball in little league, the focus as they get older is on football and basketball with some track mixed in.  Those kids who are good at baseball end up in the Bubble or at West Brook.  Like all sports, baseball is year around and most of the opportunities for scholarships are in football and basketball.....

I can tell you from experience that baseball scholarship is way less then football or basketball unfortunately. I agree with you on that. Now long term if someone was good enough, rarely happens, but you can make way more money in baseball.

3 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

You should have more faith in your team, even though yall will start 0-2 after Paetow and us get done with yall. 

😂 don’t know what to expect. If we were still with TW I think we give you a game knowing you barely escaped last year.With new coach and new schemes not sure we will be ready, but nonetheless it is a good pre district game.

On 6/19/2021 at 6:14 PM, BlackShirts5 said:

Branch, Allen,The big Tackle the went to UofH, Doucette, Yalls best Wr next year, Pretty sure there quite a few others that would have been at GCM as well. 

WHEW! At least they didn't transfer for athletic purposes!!! LOL

On 6/19/2021 at 6:14 PM, BlackShirts5 said:

What was the name of the tackle that went to UH? We've only had two tackles sign with UH that I can remember recently and that's Keenan Murphy who's from Crosby and Chayse Todd who would've gone to North Shore. Forgot about Doucette, I believe he did score a couple times his senior year. Caleb Clay would've gone to GCM too but I'm not sure he ever went to school in Baytown? Our top three receivers coming into the season have all been here since at least their freshman year. Who is going to be our best receiver next year? 

I think the only way those kids "would have been at GCM as well" is if Crosby wasn't there. You also have to take into consideration the reason those kids ended up being as good as they were is due to the fact that they didn't have to go to GCM. Allen was playing fullback at GCM blocking linebackers hardly being used. He came to Crosby and got to play RB behind a line that had 3 D1 kids on it and ended up with nearly a 1,000 yards before he got hurt against King. Branch was getting beat down at GCM because he was all they had. He was averaging 3.6ypc and had thrown for 9tds and 8 ints on the season. I was excited when he transferred after seeing his athleticism on film and posted about it. GCM fans were telling me, "He's fast but he's turnover prone, just wait and see". What I saw was no o-line and receivers who couldn't make plays on the balls he was throwing. In 16 starts at QB for Crosby he threw for 2,532/25/7 and ran for 2,566 in 23 overall games averaging over 8ypc.   

The Baytown kids just benefit/reach full potential more in Crosby due to better coaching, better players around them, better facilities and a lot more community support. That stuff can't be overlooked when trying to project what a player would do at a certain school.  That being said, we do greatly appreciate the athletes y'all provide for us from our farm system in GCCISD. 

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The Baytown kids just benefit/reach full potential more in Crosby due to better coaching, better players around them, better facilities and a lot more community support. That stuff can't be overlooked when trying to project what a player would do at a certain school.  That being said, we do greatly appreciate the athletes y'all provide for us from our farm system in GCCISD. 

Well, I will give you this, you shoot straight about it. That's better than those who deny the obvious truth about players from other areas and schools transferring in to build up their program. It does make you wonder what Crosby and Goose Creek for that matter would be like if they all stayed at home.     

23 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Well, I will give you this, you shoot straight about it. That's better than those who deny the obvious truth about players from other areas and schools transferring in to build up their program. It does make you wonder what Crosby and Goose Creek for that matter would be like if they all stayed at home.     

It would look pretty much the same. Crosby would still have the better coach because it’s a better job than any of the GCCISD schools. If we didn’t have some of the players that transferred then the staff would adjust and utilize other advantages we had. For example, GCM transfer Donta Allen got hurt against CE King in the regular season. Carlos Grace stepped in as a sophomore and carried most of the heavy rushing load during a run to the semifinals, Craig Williams did the rest as a freshman. 

GCCISD would still have mediocre coaches for the area because they’re the lowest paid. Their schools would still be plagued by low participation rates and sub-par facilities. Go take a look at Baytown Lee. The players started coming after we were already good. Crosby has only missed the playoffs twice in the last 18 years, we’ve only started getting transfers the last 5 or 6. And as far as kids that are actual difference makers we’re talking about MAYBE one kid every other year? Before that we would lose kids to Dayton and the Baytown schools. 

Talent acquisition is the name of the game in today’s THSF landscape and Crosby is starting to be able to compete with some of our area schools in terms of landing destinations. It’s just part of trying to get the program on a level to annually compete with the elite teams in the state. 

On 6/25/2021 at 5:22 PM, aledoalumni said:

How many programs would you consider elite in Texas?

I would say 25-28. I would classify elite as your perennial top 4-5 teams in each classification. I would classify your perennial top 4-5 teams as the group of teams that no matter what, come into each season with a chance to compete for a state championship. I would have six teams in 6A though. North Shore, Katy, Westlake, Lake Travis, Allen and SLC. I think 1A would have the fewest elite teams with Richland Springs, Borden County and maybe Strawn. I think 2A-5A are in that 4-5 range even though it's hard to foresee someone beating Carthage and Aledo to start any season. 

On 6/25/2021 at 5:46 PM, BHFAN said:

Just the ones Crosby plays😂 I remember when Crosby was hiring their coach and 14.2 like to have lost his poop😩

Riordan went 10-2 his second season in Crosby, were a couple of missed 4th quarter plays away from knocking off Summer Creek and going undefeated in the regular season. '14-17 under Riordan Crosby either won or tied for the district championship including getting to the semis in year three. Prior to that at Sulphur Springs he headed up one of the most potent offenses in the state, dropped 69 on Dayton in the title game. Credentials were legit and the SS offense wasn't as good after he left meaning he was the big reason for their success. 

Coach P had a stop as the OC at one of the Cypress schools and wasn't very successful. My theory was that the numbers he put up at CC Vets were in large part due to the fact that Vets was the new school and carved a bunch of talent from the CCISD attendance zone. Similar to what Shadow Creek did to Manvel in AISD's attendance zone. I was wrong in the fact that our search committee didn't recommend the right guy for the job but right in the sense that Vets was set up to be a Coastal Bend powerhouse anyway. Vets went 13-1 this year averaging over 49ppg per game and losing in the semis to Cedar Park. In Crosby we really try and even expect to win, not just make splash hires with guys who may not fit. We'll see how y'all feel about BH's new hire when y'all start the season 1-4.