Todd Dodge (Westlake)

Riley Dodge (Southlake Carroll)

Surratt (Carthage) 

Brad Butler (Shadow Creek)

Todd Mcvey (Katy Thompkins)

Craig Stump (Atascocita)

John Kay (North Shore)

Carl Abseck (Cedar Park)

In no particular order, I would be seeing if these guys wanted HC/AD at $175k. Maybe unrealistic, but money does talk.

Money talks but it gets complicated. I know one HC that took a pay cut (not much, more of a lateral thing) because the situation he was in wasn’t good and wouldn’t be for a while.

It’s a gamble. Luck into a few losing seasons and the market value takes a hit. Now moving on is not possible or they get forced out.

The fact that Westerberg underperformed (not a good thing) while filling the staff with family (not a bad thing) is going to make hard rowing for the next guy.

Curious if BH is gonna swing for the fences again. I don’t see results that suggest it’s worth the $$$ to bring in somebody with the resume TW had.

3 hours ago, Pot Stirrer said:

I bet they reached out to Surratt. And he informed them that he already makes that much money.

Who's next? Wouldn't think John Kay but Westerberg left Allen.

Maybe they should go after a smaller school coach. What about Chris Koetting? Head coach of Canadian. 

Would love that hire.

3 hours ago, Pot Stirrer said:

I bet they reached out to Surratt. And he informed them that he already makes that much money.

Who's next? Wouldn't think John Kay but Westerberg left Allen.

Maybe they should go after a smaller school coach. What about Chris Koetting? Head coach of Canadian. 

Keotting coaches at a lower level but he's pretty much what they've already been hiring. Koetting is already older like Westerberg and Gage were and they have talent near the top of their class. After seeing how it went for TW I think the biggest name they could potentially get is a guy like Carl Abseck at Cedar Park. If I was BH I would look hard in Central Texas where a bunch of winning teams do it with not much more than average talent. 

If they're not going to go the Riordan-type route then IMO a guy like Trey Sissom at FB Travis would be the perfect fit. BH doesn't produce rbs so a system like Sissom's would be ideal if they continue to play relative decent defense. I also like a guy like Brandon Schmidt at Prosper who does it against tough competition with slightly above average talent.  

27 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

Money talks but it gets complicated. I know one HC that took a pay cut (not much, more of a lateral thing) because the situation he was in wasn’t good and wouldn’t be for a while.

It’s a gamble. Luck into a few losing seasons and the market value takes a hit. Now moving on is not possible or they get forced out.

The fact that Westerberg underperformed (not a good thing) while filling the staff with family (not a bad thing) is going to make hard rowing for the next guy.

Curious if BH is gonna swing for the fences again. I don’t see results that suggest it’s worth the $$$ to bring in somebody with the resume TW had.

I don’t think he under performed according to locals. Although his resume was nice, BH had struggled to either make playoffs or struggled to get out of first round. He was able to win a district championship, go 3 rounds, and several playoff wins. Nobody in their right mind thought he could turn BH into an Allen.

I do think the job is desirable for a guy at a multi school ISD where you can come here make good money and be a HC/AD. We’re growing fast, no huge athletes, but expect to Atleast make playoffs and win some in playoffs. Not very many teams 5A and above have huge success in this area. Most, 3 rounds deep is a great year. Even with talent like Crosby, take this past year away and they are average.

As a Sterling fan I know we would love to make the playoffs and play meaningful games... TW did that at BH has been competitive and won a lot of games got to give him props there.

Whoever gets this job if they can wait could have success. the population is growing like crazy in MB. They are having to build two new intermediate schools and adding on to the high school. It’s only going to continue to grow and with growth hopefully comes some more athletes. 

1 hour ago, TradenupBH said:

Todd Dodge (Westlake)

Riley Dodge (Southlake Carroll)

Surratt (Carthage) 

Brad Butler (Shadow Creek)

Todd Mcvey (Katy Thompkins)

Craig Stump (Atascocita)

John Kay (North Shore)

Carl Abseck (Cedar Park)

In no particular order, I would be seeing if these guys wanted HC/AD at $175k. Maybe unrealistic, but money does talk.

Crazy you said Abseck, I think that would be a good hire too. All those other guys BH should probably stay away from. I know that's easier said than done but all of those guys accept Abseck are what BH has been hiring to get the results you have. 

Todd Dodge - QB Cade Klubnick committed to Clemson

Riley Dodge - QB Quin Ewers #1 ranked prospect in America in his class

Scott Surratt - Other than La Vega has the most talent in all of 4A

Brad Butler - QB Kyron Drones signed with Baylor. Most talent in 5A-D1 when they won the title with a 6A enrollment. Transfer heavy school with D1 talent everywhere

Todd McVey - QB Jalen Milroe signed with Alabama and was probably the best offensive player in the Houston area besides Jaydon Blue. Record is pretty meh without Milroe those three years. 

Craig Stump - I would tie Atascocita with Westfield and Dickinson as having the most talent in the Houston area behind North Shore. They're not too far behind either, probably top 10 in the state talent-wise most years

John Kay - On average coaches one of the top three most talented teams in the state regardless of class. For example, going into next year they already have 8 kids with FBS offers on the defensive side of the ball alone. 

Carl Abseck - Maybe. Can BH pay enough to pull him away from the ritzy north Austin suburb? IDK, but CP is extremely good at the LOS for the 5A level and that won't translate to BH which may cause TW like results. 

All the guys above except Abseck have advantages that aren't there at BH. You have to remember these guys aren't used to coaching average players like BH has. Hiring one of these guys will probably yield the same results as Gage or TW. Doesn't hurt to try though. 

I don’t think he under performed according to locals. Although his resume was nice, BH had struggled to either make playoffs or struggled to get out of first round. He was able to win a district championship, go 3 rounds, and several playoff wins. Nobody in their right mind thought he could turn BH into an Allen.

I do think the job is desirable for a guy at a multi school ISD where you can come here make good money and be a HC/AD. We’re growing fast, no huge athletes, but expect to Atleast make playoffs and win some in playoffs. Not very many teams 5A and above have huge success in this area. Most, 3 rounds deep is a great year. Even with talent like Crosby, take this past year away and they are average.

TW only won three playoff games at BH and finished above 3rd place one time, and both of those wins were in the same year. No 5A teams in the Houston area except Manvel and probably FB Marshall has more playoff wins in the last 15 years than Crosby, and that's without last year's run.

We've only missed the playoffs once in like 16 years and have won or tied for the DC multiple times. Our normal run was losing in the second round when only 32 teams are left playing, also had a regional championship in '14 during that time. We've also produced countless collegiate signees in that time period. That's what it takes to be a top 20 program in 5A and be considered average. You would certainly have to consider BH below average using those metrics. 

Yeah, nobody expected him to turn BH into Allen but he should've at least turned them into Crosby. 

34 minutes ago, Blockdownandkickout! said:

As a Sterling fan I know we would love to make the playoffs and play meaningful games... TW did that at BH has been competitive and won a lot of games got to give him props there.

Whoever gets this job if they can wait could have success. the population is growing like crazy in MB. They are having to build two new intermediate schools and adding on to the high school. It’s only going to continue to grow and with growth hopefully comes some more athletes. 

With growth comes a higher enrollment and a move up in classes. BH is already a big school for 5A-D2, next comes 5A-D1 and in about six years they'll have a 6A enrollment and get to play schools like North Shore and Atascocita in district. BH definitely has more athletes now but Deer Park and BH are very similar schools and look how DP struggles even though their enrollment is the highest in the Houston area. I would be very interested to see what TW candidly tells other coaching applicants who reach out to him for information? 

5 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Hearing he's taking a Central Texas AD job. I wonder what BH's approach will be on this hire? They wanted coaches with championships under their belts and as such the last two coaches came to BH with six combined 6A titles(Gage's 2 at Lewisville would be considered 6A now). Over that eleven year span BH has won two district titles and has three playoff wins. Not to mention in the last five years they've compensated the Westerberg family right around $2M. 

Does BH back the Brinks truck up to a guy right down I-10 like John Kay at North Shore and pitch the idea that he can be the head football coach and the AD? Does the BH administration finally realize these guys they're hiring with multiple titles also have talent near the top of the class and hire a guy like Jeff Riordan, or do they go down the same route where they pay a bunch of money to a guy near the end of his career just to say they have a championship coach? 

I think Westerberg accomplished what he set out to do when he took the BH job. He made a bunch of money in a short span, got his son a head coaching job at Whitehouse and parlayed his time on The Hill into an even better retirement job. So much for great coaches being able to win anywhere.  

Should be "four playoff wins", forgot to account for the cancelled game last year. 

35 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

TW only won two playoff games at BH and finished above 3rd place one time, and both of those wins were in the same year. No 5A teams in the Houston area except Manvel and probably FB Marshall has more playoff wins in the last 15 years than Crosby, and that's without last year's run.

We've only missed the playoffs once in like 16 years and have won or tied for the DC multiple times. Our normal run was losing in the second round when only 32 teams are left playing, also had a regional championship in '14 during that time. We've also produced countless collegiate signees in that time period. That's what it takes to be a top 20 program in 5A and be considered average. You would certainly have to consider BH below average using those metrics. 

Yeah, nobody expected him to turn BH into Allen but he should've at least turned them into Crosby. 

3 playoff wins

15 minutes ago, TradenupBH said:

3 playoff wins

It wouldn't let me edit, that's why I switched the other post to "four playoff wins" to account for that 11 year period I was eluding to. Was just looking at the overview and didn't account for the cancelled covid game in 2020. Brings the average down to $666,667 per playoff win under TW. 

The locals (not you guys, uh...other locals) have changed their stories as the results came in.

The hire was high profile when it happened.  As it should be.  Highly paid. TW had a resume of titles.  TW had players of the highest caliber that played at Allen.  If 5 years ago, somebody had said "3 playoff wins in 5 years", the locals would have disagreed and said you're crazy.

He underperformed.  

I have a few other, too long, posts about this being all about the context of the hire.  This wasn't just another hire.  Wasn't supposed to be.  The idea (from the locals) was that here was a guy getting paid state title money, coming from a state title school, going to a district that had the money and culture to bring home...state titles.  That didn't happen. 

39-17 in 5 years.

3 playoff wins.

2 District titles. (A district that has been dominated by 2-3 teams the last 10 years).

About 3 years in, I asked when BH will say "Yeah, didn't work out and we need to move on."  Looks like TW made the decision before that point.  

Someone posted a list of coaches that have put away some titles with other schools.  What makes anybody think the results will be any different than the last 5 years?  

Just not so sure paying the most money for the most successful coach on the market makes a program more successful.

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

TW only won three playoff games at BH and finished above 3rd place one time, and both of those wins were in the same year. No 5A teams in the Houston area except Manvel and probably FB Marshall has more playoff wins in the last 15 years than Crosby, and that's without last year's run.

Turn them into Crosby? We don’t have a Barrett Station. You and I both know that. There’s only so much that a coach can do my man. I think parents (that’s who will cry about coaches) are satisfied for the most part to be a top 4 team and have some success in the playoffs. Second or third round is a good BH season with the athletes we have. BH is a baseball and softball school with every now and then girls basketball. Academics are huge here and people are ok with it. People outside of BH are the ones that say we want more which isn’t the whole truth.

1 minute ago, texbuzz said:

The locals (not you guys, uh...other locals) have changed their stories as the results came in.

The hire was high profile when it happened.  As it should be.  Highly paid. TW had a resume of titles.  TW had players of the highest caliber that played at Allen.  If 5 years ago, somebody had said "3 playoff wins in 5 years", the locals would have disagreed and said you're crazy.

He underperformed.  

I have a few other, too long, posts about this being all about the context of the hire.  This wasn't just another hire.  Wasn't supposed to be.  The idea (from the locals) was that here was a guy getting paid state title money, coming from a state title school, going to a district that had the money and culture to bring home...state titles.  That didn't happen. 

39-17 in 5 years.

3 playoff wins.

2 District titles. (A district that has been dominated by 2-3 teams the last 10 years).

About 3 years in, I asked when BH will say "Yeah, didn't work out and we need to move on."  Looks like TW made the decision before that point.  

Someone posted a list of coaches that have put away some titles with other schools.  What makes anybody think the results will be any different than the last 5 years?  

Just not so sure paying the most money for the most successful coach on the market makes a program more successful.

I’ve been here 10 years with multiple kids in the sports program. I’ve never heard anyone say BH was going to win state championships because of the hiring of TW. Only outsiders mocking our district for spending what they thought was a lot of money. Not sure where your information is coming from. You sound bitter though with your smart••• replies.

Cougar14.2, had to look stuff up. In the 5 years TW been here, BH one district title, Crosby 0.

Both teams made playoffs 4 out of 5 years.

BH 39-16 with playoff losses to PNG (Roschon), Manvel twice, and Huntsville.

Crosby 44-18 with playoff losses to FB Marshall, PNG (insane game), Huntsville, and Aledo.

BH 2-3 against Crosby (one of which was a major comeback by Crosby).

Take away this past season and BH/Crosby we’re pretty close to being the same even if you don’t admit it.😂

5 hours ago, texbuzz said:

I’ve got 1 name responsible for Westerberg’s resume...he’s the QB for Arizona Cardinals. Until BH gets some more black kids out there they’ll never be very relevant in football. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you’re not winning big in Houston area or East Texas without a good number of black kids on the team. Period. That being said, I think the distinguished tea sippers of Barbers Hill should bring in the great Reginald Samples to take the reigns.

55 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

I’ve got 1 name responsible for Westerberg’s resume...he’s the QB for Arizona Cardinals. Until BH gets some more black kids out there they’ll never be very relevant in football. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you’re not winning big in Houston area or East Texas without a good number of black kids on the team. Period. That being said, I think the distinguished tea sippers of Barbers Hill should bring in the great Reginald Samples to take the reigns.

yes he's responsible for some but not all of TW resume. They did win state in 08 and the year after Murray left Allen made a run to the semi-finals.

12 minutes ago, tigerheart said:

I’m just going to respectfully disagree with anyone who thinks Scott Surratt isn’t one of the best coaches in the state of Texas. He turned Carthage into the powerhouse that they are. Guarantee you he could replicate his success at multiple places. 

I think he's the best HC in Texas, and he's got a great gene pool to work with, plus of course the football program, ISD and area sells itself to families with very young student-athletes to come on in. I think it would take a long time for him to duplicate at BH what he's currently doing at Carthage. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Pig said:

I reckon there would be a good bit of folks who would blow their top at that school board if BH hired Samples 😁

3 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

He don’t have a state championship 😁

10 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

He needs more apartment complexes in Mt Belvieu. 

13 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

Turn them into Crosby? We don’t have a Barrett Station. You and I both know that. There’s only so much that a coach can do my man. I think parents (that’s who will cry about coaches) are satisfied for the most part to be a top 4 team and have some success in the playoffs. Second or third round is a good BH season with the athletes we have. BH is a baseball and softball school with every now and then girls basketball. Academics are huge here and people are ok with it. People outside of BH are the ones that say we want more which isn’t the whole truth.

6 State tournament appearances and 3 championships (with 2 appearances coming in last 10 years).  Playoffs almost every year since late 70's.  Girls Basketball is still a strong pull.

• WOSgrad changed the title to CARL ABSECK NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT BARBERS HILL