CARL ABSECK NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT BARBERS HILL

13 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

Cougar14.2, had to look stuff up. In the 5 years TW been here, BH one district title, Crosby 0.

Both teams made playoffs 4 out of 5 years.

BH 39-16 with playoff losses to PNG (Roschon), Manvel twice, and Huntsville.

Crosby 44-18 with playoff losses to FB Marshall, PNG (insane game), Huntsville, and Aledo.

BH 2-3 against Crosby (one of which was a major comeback by Crosby).

Take away this past season and BH/Crosby we’re pretty close to being the same even if you don’t admit it.😂

BH is also 2-8 against Crosby the last 10 years. BH was close for two years, as in beat Crosby. Crosby officially tied for the district title in 2017 and 2020 but played from the #2 position. In 2018 Crosby was ranked #2 in the state before Howard tore his ACL in Vidor. Season was over after that and was the only reason we missed the playoffs for the only time in 16 years. Pretty sure Crosby would've went 10-0 in the regular season and played FB Marshall in the 3rd round had Howard stayed healthy. In 2019 our financial crisis hung over us and we played with a first year coach who had no offseason. Very bleak year in general in Crosby. That's what it took for TW to beat Crosby those two times.

Last year y'all were blow out, in 2016 y'all were blown out and I guess 2017 is when you said Crosby needed a major comeback? We were down 6 pts going into the 4th quarter and scored 22 unanswered and y'all lost by 16. BH was never up by more than 7. Think about it? Crosby had their two worst seasons in a decade and a half in that 5 year period and still had more wins than BH and their hired gun. As good as Crosby just looked in our Spring game Friday I expect another blow out this coming season.

No doubt BH has improved leaps and bounds in terms of individual athleticism, as they should with a growing enrollment but we're just going to have to disagree on what "pretty close" means in terms of program strength/capabilities/trajectory.   

15 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

Turn them into Crosby? We don’t have a Barrett Station. You and I both know that. There’s only so much that a coach can do my man. I think parents (that’s who will cry about coaches) are satisfied for the most part to be a top 4 team and have some success in the playoffs. Second or third round is a good BH season with the athletes we have. BH is a baseball and softball school with every now and then girls basketball. Academics are huge here and people are ok with it. People outside of BH are the ones that say we want more which isn’t the whole truth.

Barrett is majority Hispanic now. Only about 20% of our better athletes are coming from the Barrett/Cedar Grove areas now. The vast majority of our athletes come from Crosby proper now. Liberty Hill also doesn't have a Barrett Station. 

14 hours ago, texbuzz said:

If 5 years ago, somebody had said "3 playoff wins in 5 years", the locals would have disagreed and said you're crazy.

He underperformed.  

I have a few other, too long, posts about this being all about the context of the hire.  This wasn't just another hire.  Wasn't supposed to be. 

39-17 in 5 years.

3 playoff wins.

Thats exactly right. He underperformed. 

I don't blame BH for swinging for the fences 5 years ago. BH wanted to make a "big splash" with the hire and they did. The Westerberg hire did put BH on the statewide football map for all of 15 minutes of fame, but it ended there. Their intention was good but their thought process was quite flawed. Apparently they did not comprehend Westerberg was basically an illusion, without Kyler Murray surrounded by other move in talent at Allen, Westerberg would not have had a prayer of winning state.   

On the other side of the equation, it has been a bonanza for Westerberg. He came for the money and wow did he rake it in. Someone said 2 million in total compensation for the Westerbergs, with $666,667 per playoff win. Tell that result to BH five years ago and they would have run from Westerberg. Its time to move on for BH. They can't un-spend the money or undo the hire, so all they can do is move on and make wiser choices in the future. BH should focus on "bang for the buck", and not let themselves be infatuated with overhyped candidates with glitzy resumes.

12 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

I’ve got 1 name responsible for Westerberg’s resume...he’s the QB for Arizona Cardinals. Until BH gets some more black kids out there they’ll never be very relevant in football. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you’re not winning big in Houston area or East Texas without a good number of black kids on the team. Period. That being said, I think the distinguished tea sippers of Barbers Hill should bring in the great Reginald Samples to take the reigns.

BH does have a good amount of diversity in their younger classes. As for TW's resume, outside of Kyler Murray during his time at Allen he coached:

Matt Brown - TCU 

Nathan Dick - Arkansas

Casey Dick - Arkansas 

Seth Green - Minnesota 

I'm missing one in his time there when he first took over though. Throw Murray in there and it makes the job a whole lot easier with those caliber of QBs EVERY year.

Samples needs to stay put. Lol, after one transition year Samples would mess around and have BH in the regional finals. I don't think he fits what BH wants in a coach though, plus I doubt the Godfather of South Dallas football would be willing to come any further south than I-20. 

13 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

I think the distinguished tea sippers of Barbers Hill should bring in the great Reginald Samples to take the reigns.

"Great"? Hardly.

You should think before you make a statement like that. Samples built up Duncanville by running around south of I-20 collecting talent from places like Cedar Hill, DeSoto, and Lancaster, not by coaching. Samples would be another overhyped candidate with a glitzy resume. Thats the last thing BH needs after Westerberg. 

I feel like a broken record. TW underperformed in the eyes of outsiders. BH got an indoor facility, upgraded and expanded weight room, added boys and girls soccer, kids got stronger through a strength and conditioning program, upgrades to softball and football fields, and the list goes on. This happened in the same time frame of the TW hire. We evolved some and continue to grow. In five years all of this has happened. 

37 minutes ago, TradenupBH said:

I feel like a broken record. TW underperformed in the eyes of outsiders. BH got an indoor facility, upgraded and expanded weight room, added boys and girls soccer, kids got stronger through a strength and conditioning program, upgrades to softball and football fields, and the list goes on. This happened in the same time frame of the TW hire. We evolved some and continue to grow. In five years all of this has happened. 

Why did TW fire the company that ran the strength and conditioning camp this year? 

3 hours ago, BH85 said:

6 State tournament appearances and 3 championships (with 2 appearances coming in last 10 years).  Playoffs almost every year since late 70's.  Girls Basketball is still a strong pull.

That’s all fine and dandy but we’re talking football here...the sport in Texas that gets people hired and fired 

47 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

It might have happened in the same time frame, but did TW personally build it? Could it been built without him?  Also note new schools are under construction, with or without TW. Thank your taxpayers, not TW. 

Maybe so, but it didn’t happen till he came here. New schools are being built because we’re growing. Doesn’t have anything to do with an AD or HC

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

BH does have a good amount of diversity in their younger classes. As for TW's resume, outside of Kyler Murray during his time at Allen he coached:

Matt Brown - TCU 

Nathan Dick - Arkansas

Casey Dick - Arkansas 

Seth Green - Minnesota 

I'm missing one in his time there when he first took over though. Throw Murray in there and it makes the job a whole lot easier with those caliber of QBs EVERY year.

Samples needs to stay put. Lol, after one transition year Samples would mess around and have BH in the regional finals. I don't think he fits what BH wants in a coach though, plus I doubt the Godfather of South Dallas football would be willing to come any further south than I-20. 

Were any of those guys NFL rookie of the year?

1 minute ago, Uncle Pig said:

All of Texas is growing 

LOL, ok..... schools aren’t built because of a football HC or AD. That was response to new schools being built. Some credit has to go to an AD for upgraded facilities even if he isn’t 100% the reason for it. 

36 minutes ago, Pot Stirrer said:

Can someone clear this up. Did TW leave because he was forced out or is he running for the Hill country because of the superintendent? His son is not taking over which was the plan all along. When he left for Whitehouse it raised some red flags. Something has been brewing. 

I've been sitting on this question for awhile since it was brought up couple years ago: was it TW's plan only or TW's AND Barbers Hill plan??

3 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

"Great"? Hardly.

You should think before you make a statement like that. Samples built up Duncanville by running around south of I-20 collecting talent from places like Cedar Hill, DeSoto, and Lancaster, not by coaching. Samples would be another overhyped candidate with a glitzy resume. Thats the last thing BH needs after Westerberg. 

Whoa now. You can't call Samples anything other than great. Samples went 3-7 his first year at Duncanville and the very next year had them in the regional final at 11-3. That's hardly enough time to "collect talent" from the rest of SW Dallas county.

The mark of a great coach is what happens before and after you leave. Samples coached a bunch of DISD kids from some south Dallas projects to the state finals at Lincoln, lost that one on a blocked FG I believe. Lincoln has been in the gutter ever since he left. Next stop was Skyline who was mediocre before he got there to say the least. He turned them into an absolute monster, just couldn't get past Allen or SLC to win a title. He went 96-14 his last 8 years at Skyline. He left and Skyline immediately went back to being mediocre. You could probably apply your "collecting talent" comment to his time at the former east Dallas powerhouse and it would be more fitting. 

Duncanville had already won a title before Samples got there and has always been full of talent. They were just a sleeping giant that needed direction. True he's gotten a big time transfers like Kendrick Blackshire but he's also lost big time prospects like Chris Parsons who transferred to Red Oak after starting as freshman against North Shore in the title game. Duncanville doesn't need the transfers, they have a similar enrollment to North Shore but probably have twice the player pool to choose from. 

Those kids in south Dallas look at Samples like the second coming and play their butts off for him. IMO him and Steve Lineweaver have been the best coaches in the DFW in recent memory beside Joey McGuire. 

7 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Whoa now. You can't call Samples anything other than great. Samples went 3-7 his first year at Duncanville and the very next year had them in the regional final at 11-3. That's hardly enough time to "collect talent" from the rest of SW Dallas county.

The mark of a great coach is what happens before and after you leave. Samples coached a bunch of DISD kids from some south Dallas projects to the state finals at Lincoln, lost that one on a blocked FG I believe. Lincoln has been in the gutter ever since he left. Next stop was Skyline who was mediocre before he got there to say the least. He turned them into an absolute monster, just couldn't get past Allen or SLC to win a title. He went 96-14 his last 8 years at Skyline. He left and Skyline immediately went back to being mediocre. You could probably apply your "collecting talent" comment to his time at the former east Dallas powerhouse and it would be more fitting. 

Duncanville had already won a title before Samples got there and has always been full of talent. They were just a sleeping giant that needed direction. True he's gotten a big time transfers like Kendrick Blackshire but he's also lost big time prospects like Chris Parsons who transferred to Red Oak after starting as freshman against North Shore in the title game. Duncanville doesn't need the transfers, they have a similar enrollment to North Shore but probably have twice the player pool to choose from. 

Those kids in south Dallas look at Samples like the second coming and play their butts off for him. IMO him and Steve Lineweaver have been the best coaches in the DFW in recent memory beside Joey McGuire. 

Underperformed, no state title😂

2 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

Were any of those guys NFL rookie of the year?

No, but all accept Green were the QBs that led up to Westerberg being seen as a great coach and eventually landing Murray when he chose to leave Lewisville. Murray's dad is a QB coach and I'm sure evaluated TW and the way he coached those kids before he allowed his son to play for him. Not sure that if TW doesn't beat Hightower in the title game with one of those kids that Murray ever shows up in Allen. 

24 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

No, but all accept Green were the QBs that led up to Westerberg being seen as a great coach and eventually landing Murray when he chose to leave Lewisville. Murray's dad is a QB coach and I'm sure evaluated TW and the way he coached those kids before he allowed his son to play for him. Not sure that if TW doesn't beat Hightower in the title game with one of those kids that Murray ever shows up in Allen. 

I can agree with that 

35 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

+1,000

4 minutes ago, TradenupBH said:

Underperformed, no state title😂

Yeah, that's honestly one of the worst arguments I see on this site and just around TXHSF in general. I guess Phil Danaher and his 400+ career wins has underperformed at Calallen too, lol. Whenever you get into the "what do you consider a great coach" argument I always revert back to, "Do you have to be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet to be considered a great businessman?" 

1 hour ago, Pot Stirrer said:

Can someone clear this up. Did TW leave because he was forced out or is he running for the Hill country because of the superintendent? His son is not taking over which was the plan all along. When he left for Whitehouse it raised some red flags. Something has been brewing. 

I think that was TWs plan not BH's plan. Sonny boy caught heat this year because his offense wasnt performing and he bailed. I saw zero magic in the play calling this year, in fact QB sneak to the right, left and up the middle was about 80% of the play calls. For TW and his son, it sure looked like they didnt have a clue in how to put a good offense on the field. Poor QB was beat to the ground. 

• WOSgrad changed the title to CARL ABSECK NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT BARBERS HILL