CARL ABSECK NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT BARBERS HILL

9 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Great choice, maybe he could bring some of them D1 TE's from Dickinson that they're starting to be known for. 

I'm not sure Snelson could replicate what he does in Dickinson at BH? They're becoming known for producing those TEs but they also have kids like OTs Canon Boone who just signed with Mississippi State and 4* PJ Williams who's one of the top OTs in his class and committed to A&M. They have FBS talent on the defensive line too. Tells you they're very good at the LOS and they use those advantages to maul people. BH already tried that with Gage. 

I think they need to go the Lovejoy/Georgetown/Pioneer route where you emphasize QB play and offensive execution. GT went all the way to the title game without a single FBS signee(QB walked on somewhere). BH has been playing decent defense under TW and already has good enough receivers for a system like that, it would just come down to getting or developing QBs that could play at a high level. They need to stay away from the coaches that have 4*s just grazing in the hallways, plus Snelson is probably 60 already and has had some health problems. 

If I was BH I would swing for the fences again but I would also have some feelers out to a guy like Riordan just in case. 

1 hour ago, Pot Stirrer said:

I think you heard what I heard. Everyone is excited for The Friends Reunion, why wouldn't Barbers Hill fans be excited for an early 90s offense?

Well, Liberty Hill averaged 57ppg this year, including dogging out some 6As, and was one point away from the title game running the .  .  . (clears throat) .  .  . slot-T. Buda Hays made the semis against Katy running it this year and SA Wagner was in the 5A-D1 semis against Shadow Creek running it in 2019. So there's precedent for running it with success in the higher classifications. BH definitely has better overall athletes than LH does. 

33 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The only teams we lined up with last year that had better personnel than us were Manvel and Aledo. That may have not been the case if Chris Marshall doesn't get ejected in the FB Marshall game but we'll never know. How did Crosby overperform by beating teams they had better personnel than? 

The only chatter you're talking about was coming from outside of Crosby. With the kids we put on the field every year we never expect not to be competitive. All you have to do is sit in the stands at one of our games and listen to the "chatter". We hated Riordan left but we also hated giving up 50ppg in playoff losses under him too. Coach P coached to his talent instead of trying to make the talent fit his coaching and these were the results. 

Crosby is probably one of the five biggest schools in 5A-D2 so we should be towards the top of the class talent wise. I think you're confusing years of Crosby underperforming with this year and us actually playing up to our ability. If you think Crosby overperformed this year, wait until Coach P gets one of those uber-talented teams like Rio had in '13 or '17. 

* Didn't mean to derail the discussion but after a decade of being accused of underperforming it's extremely odd to be accused of overperforming. 

I have a kid that plays.  I am his biggest fan and very emotional in the stands. I try to distance myself from the emotional here. I attempt to be more analytical.  And also remove biases from my thought process.

Compile the following Crosby data points from spring 2019:

- Superintendent ousted. (Leadership)
- Financial scandal. (Uncertainty)
- Significant reduction of force. (Resources and Uncertainty). 
- HC leaves (Leadership). 
- New HC has no HC experience (Uncertainty).

Now, knowing all this and not what you know now, take yourself back to that summer. And tell people that Crosby will be playing for a state title in 2 seasons.

That statement, while not impossible (obviously), would be considered highly unlikely by a majority of people.

Compile the following BH data points- 

- BH has ample $$ (Resources). 
- BH has a tradition of success (culture).  
- New Coach has multiple state titles. (Leadership / Culture).  
- New Coach has coached amazing talent (Leadership / Culture).

Now, knowing all this and not what you know now, take yourself back to that summer. And tell people that BH will win 3 playoff games in the next 5 years and TW will leave.

Again, that statement, while not impossible (obviously), would be considered highly unlikely by a majority of people.

Call it “beating the odds” or “bad/good luck” or whatever you want.

BH underperformed based on the expectations that were reasonable as set forth in the points above.

Crosby overperformed based on the expectations that were reasonable as set forth in the points above.

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I'm not sure Snelson could replicate what he does in Dickinson at BH? They're becoming known for producing those TEs but they also have kids like OTs Canon Boone who just signed with Mississippi State and 4* PJ Williams who's one of the top OTs in his class and committed to A&M. They have FBS talent on the defensive line too. Tells you they're very good at the LOS and they use those advantages to maul people. BH already tried that with Gage. 

I think they need to go the Lovejoy/Georgetown/Pioneer route where you emphasize QB play and offensive execution. GT went all the way to the title game without a single FBS signee(QB walked on somewhere). BH has been playing decent defense under TW and already has good enough receivers for a system like that, it would just come down to getting or developing QBs that could play at a high level. They need to stay away from the coaches that have 4*s just grazing in the hallways, plus Snelson is probably 60 already and has had some health problems. 

If I was BH I would swing for the fences again but I would also have some feelers out to a guy like Riordan just in case. 

Metroplex move might be too late. I would assume buying and selling a home would be tough on a coach. I think the Head Coach could be taken care of with all the resources BH has but his assistants would be the tough part. Head Coach of that caliber with uncertainty of bringing in his coaches has to be a turnoff. And your coordinators would be first in line for your old job. 

I like the idea of Lovejoy/Georgetown/Pioneer but I think it has to be closer to home. There are some Purple Indians who have the same emphasis you're talking about. 

Rumblings are Offense is the emphasis but it will be a different style.  

Totally unverifiable post, just information that was relayed by a football guy that lives in the BH district: 

Word in the back room is that TW left mainly because of the superintendent. Supt. would come into the office and question TW about some of the coaching decisions he was making. Undoubtedly the supt. used to coach in his pre-administrative days? The son left this past season after a discussion with the supt. that included something along the lines of "This isn't Dallas, you're not winning down here without athletes" from KW.

Heard the Westerbergs were a little surprised with the personnel and the nonchalant attitude from the kids and parents towards winning in BH. Not sure exactly what part of the season/offseason it was but he gave an example of kids pulling into the parking lot for Saturday practice/workouts with boats hooked up to their trucks like, "We just have to hurry and get through this so we can go do X and not really focusing on the work that needed to be put in."   

Supposedly there are two things that happened that really rubbed TW the wrong way more than the supt.'s arrogance and questioning of his coaching. One was the hair situation that happened at BH. BH had several transfers lined up at the skill positions for the upcoming season and all pulled out after the news. Second, there was supposedly some school meeting where the supt. informed the staff that the district bought some land around I-10 and HWY 99 to keep an apartment complex that would've been zoned to BH from being built. Comment was along the lines of "We don't need that in our district". 

Sounds like the supt. just wore TW out and TW not really having to deal with it just chose to leave. Was also told the supt. has already reached out to Surratt who said he was good. The one sentiment I didn't get was that this was some sudden decision TW made, he had been on the fence for a while. I commented earlier about what TW would tell other coaches who asked him for advice about the BH job and now I think that's even more pertinent. 

*Unrelated - was told the supt. fired Price because he benched his son his senior year. Dick Olin had a lot to do with Murray ending up in Allen playing for his buddy TW after leaving Lewisville. TWs BASE salary was in the $160k range but had escalators pertaining to other sports that could've taken his salary to the $180k range.     

9 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Totally unverifiable post, just information that was relayed by a football guy that lives in the BH district: 

Word in the back room is that TW left mainly because of the superintendent. Supt. would come into the office and question TW about some of the coaching decisions he was making. Undoubtedly the supt. used to coach in his pre-administrative days? The son left this past season after a discussion with the supt. that included something along the lines of "This isn't Dallas, you're not winning down here without athletes" from KW.

Heard the Westerbergs were a little surprised with the personnel and the nonchalant attitude from the kids and parents towards winning in BH. Not sure exactly what part of the season/offseason it was but he gave an example of kids pulling into the parking lot for Saturday practice/workouts with boats hooked up to their trucks like, "We just have to hurry and get through this so we can go do X and not really focusing on the work that needed to be put in."   

Supposedly there are two things that happened that really rubbed TW the wrong way more than the supt.'s arrogance and questioning of his coaching. One was the hair situation that happened at BH. BH had several transfers lined up at the skill positions for the upcoming season and all pulled out after the news. Second, there was supposedly some school meeting where the supt. informed the staff that the district bought some land around I-10 and HWY 99 to keep an apartment complex that would've been zoned to BH from being built. Comment was along the lines of "We don't need that in our district". 

Sounds like the supt. just wore TW out and TW not really having to deal with it just chose to leave. Was also told the supt. has already reached out to Surratt who said he was good. The one sentiment I didn't get was that this was some sudden decision TW made, he had been on the fence for a while. I commented earlier about what TW would tell other coaches who asked him for advice about the BH job and now I think that's even more pertinent. 

*Unrelated - was told the supt. fired Price because he benched his son his senior year. Dick Olin had a lot to do with Murray ending up in Allen playing for his buddy TW after leaving Lewisville. TWs BASE salary was in the $160k range but had escalators pertaining to other sports that could've taken his salary to the $180k range.     

Wouldn't surprise me in the least bit bout that hair situation/transfers thing, I actually expected it, me and @BMTSoulja1talked about it several times. 

@TradenupBH called me bitter and a smart*** so I went back and pulled up some threads re. The TW hire. There are plenty of “Watch out, here comes BH!” posts out there.

But not by @TradenupBH  .  He has been consistent and realistic throughout.

I stand by my opinion. Quite a few people missed or were unrealistic.

But he didn’t.

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

lol good one crosby fan. One of those "asking for a friend" posts. 

55 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

Good lord. Also I heard that the super keyed TW’s car and hit it on his wife😂 and the super only allows white kids to wear their hair as they may. Other rumors to come stay tuned.

I think you hit the nail on the head. That's why I said "unverifiable", supposedly it came from the horse's mouth. Guy could've taken time out of his day just to call me this morning to lie to me for a half hour though? He's one of the two people who have kids in the program whose information/insight I trust. I can tell you his older son transferred to Crosby and was a stud for us and now that TW left, his younger son will also transfer to Crosby next year. Just gave me info I didn't know about our coaching staff too. 

My co-worker played DT at SC State, currently goes about 6-3 325 and has a son in one of BH's middle schools who looks to be on the same track. He told me this morning his son will also be at Crosby in the next year or two. One of my sons in Crosby's program told me months ago that we got a kid whose family was moving to BH but decided to just go to Crosby because of that. 

Just left a department lunch which one of BH's all-district players mom happened to attended. Her husband is employed by BH ISD so she didn't really elaborate but was aware of the apartment comment. Another BH lady who was sitting there listening to us made a comment that's probably too controversial to post but was right in line with what my buddy was telling me this morning. 

*P.S. - You should probably change your location back to just "baseball". Things are back to regular now. 

8 minutes ago, Steven Avery said:

lol good one crosby fan. One of those "asking for a friend" posts. 

I could go into a lot more detail but why potentially ruin a kid's eligibility to prove something insignificant on a message board? It's speculative talk on a message board just like any other you visit. You have three options; believe it, don't believe or don't read it. Choice is yours. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The bit about the buying land to avoid having apartments is something that has been going around from multiple people.  Too many disparate sources that said the exact same thing, tend to believe that statement. 

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

To 14.2 credit he did label that long post as "Totally unverifiable". It seems to me that the unidentified "football guy" he references apparently has some kind of ax to grind against the BH schools administration, and/or is a staunch Westerberg defender, trying to make excuses for the past 5 years. 

In either case, as I said earlier, what's done is done, BH simply needs to move on. The $2 million the Westerbergs raked in can't be un-spent, and TW hire of 5 years ago can't be undone, but BH can make a better choice in the future. BH simply needs to think deeply about the new hire, and don't get bedazzled with a falsely glitzy resume. Hire a hungry, young, up and coming candidate who can maximize the program with the young men at hand. Riordan is definitely worth a look.       

11 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

To 14.2 credit he did label that long post as "Totally unverifiable". It seems to me that the unidentified "football guy" he references apparently has some kind of ax to grind against the BH schools administration, and/or is a staunch Westerberg defender, trying to make excuses for the past 5 years. 

In either case, as I said earlier, what's done is done, BH simply needs to move on. The $2 million the Westerbergs raked in can't be un-spent, and TW hire of 5 years ago can't be undone, but BH can make a better choice in the future. BH simply needs to think deeply about the new hire, and don't get bedazzled with a falsely glitzy resume. Hire a hungry, young, up and coming candidate who can maximize the program with the young men at hand. Riordan is definitely worth a look.       

I think the root of the issue with football at BH goes beyond the hiring of the next coach.  To be where BH WANTS to be in football, it might be more about the Jimmy's & Joe's than X's & O's (tired saying I know).  They just need a different caliber of athlete in the program to be better than an okay to good team.  The overall top end talent base of the school seems to lend itself to baseball and girls sports.  Just an observation.

26 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Full disclosure, he absolutely is/was an ardent supporter of TW. Talked to him a good bit during TW's time on The Hill from what I understand. I don't think you can say he has an axe to grind if other staff feels the same way about the supt. as TW did from what I was told, particularly some of the teachers. They're just well paid and know better than making waves. 

As for making excuses for "underperforming" I think you really have to take step back and see what BH was before he came. He won more playoff games in one year than BH had the entire time they had been in 5A. Considering what BH was the five years before TW came I could make an argument that he actually overperformed with the personnel he had. I think TW was relaying reasons he wasn't winning more, not making excuses. Had he not been paid a bunch of money nobody would be saying BH underperformed during his tenure.

24 minutes ago, TWH99 said:

I think the root of the issue with football at BH goes beyond the hiring of the next coach.  To be where BH WANTS to be in football, it might be more about the Jimmy's & Joe's than X's & O's (tired saying I know).  They just need a different caliber of athlete in the program to be better than an okay to good team.  The overall top end talent base of the school seems to lend itself to baseball and girls sports.  Just an observation.

That's because the money for stuff like pitching/hitting lessons, travel ball, etc. have more of an impact in girls sports where the athletic abilities aren't as far apart as boys. Baseball is where that impact is felt the most in the major sports on the boys side as evidenced in the playoff bracket. Lol, it's an argument I always have with my girls sports supporter from BH. 

25 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Would think it would be hard to grab Rio, didn't he take the CH job because of family reasons?? 

Well, kinda. Crosby may be too close to BH for those "family reasons" not to resurface. Plus, if he puts together another solid season or two at CH he's probably in line for one of the big time DFW jobs which he probably prefers. 

7 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Well, Liberty Hill averaged 57ppg this year, including dogging out some 6As, and was one point away from the title game running the .  .  . (clears throat) .  .  . slot-T. Buda Hays made the semis against Katy running it this year and SA Wagner was in the 5A-D1 semis against Shadow Creek running it in 2019. So there's precedent for running it with success in the higher classifications. BH definitely has better overall athletes than LH does. 

No disrespect to Walker at Liberty Hill but Jerry Vance is the coach who turned LH into the program it is now. Walker has done a great job of maintaining it.....FYI Jerry Vance was in the hat when PNG hired Fairclothe.

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Well, kinda. Crosby may be too close to BH for those "family reasons" not to resurface. Plus, if he puts together another solid season or two at CH he's probably in line for one of the big time DFW jobs which he probably prefers. 

I thought he left because of the administration at Crosby/financial mess/they fired his wife?

4 hours ago, TWH99 said:

The bit about the buying land to avoid having apartments is something that has been going around from multiple people.  Too many disparate sources that said the exact same thing, tend to believe that statement. 

That is what was reported in The Barbers Hill Sun and was quoted by a member of the committee if I remember correctly. 

On 5/25/2021 at 8:44 PM, BHFAN said:

Traden you know your wasting your breath. Everyone outside of BH always know what’s going on, what we should do and how stupid we were for making decisions. It’s like the housewife’s of SETX after a couple of bottles of wine😂.  Glad TW was here and hope they spend a million on the next one just to piss everyone off! We have a good class coming back this year, just hope the spread stays and we don’t start completely over.

Hahaha -- All joke's aside, I can't see BH going cheap on their next coach. 

• WOSgrad changed the title to CARL ABSECK NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT BARBERS HILL