CARL ABSECK NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT BARBERS HILL

12 minutes ago, Steven Avery said:

I think that was TWs plan not BH's plan. Sonny boy caught heat this year because his offense wasnt performing and he bailed. I saw zero magic in the play calling this year, in fact QB sneak to the right, left and up the middle was about 80% of the play calls. For TW and his son, it sure looked like they didnt have a clue in how to put a good offense on the field. Poor QB was beat to the ground. 

QB Sneak? So you're saying the QB lined up under center 80% of the time? I will disregard and ignore all your comments for lack of football knowledge. 

On 5/24/2021 at 2:51 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

Keotting coaches at a lower level but he's pretty much what they've already been hiring. Koetting is already older like Westerberg and Gage were and they have talent near the top of their class. After seeing how it went for TW I think the biggest name they could potentially get is a guy like Carl Abseck at Cedar Park. If I was BH I would look hard in Central Texas where a bunch of winning teams do it with not much more than average talent. 

If they're not going to go the Riordan-type route then IMO a guy like Trey Sissom at FB Travis would be the perfect fit. BH doesn't produce rbs so a system like Sissom's would be ideal if they continue to play relative decent defense. I also like a guy like Brandon Schmidt at Prosper who does it against tough competition with slightly above average talent.  

I'd be interested to see Barbers Hill with one of the coaches from Liberty Hill. 

On 5/24/2021 at 5:10 PM, TradenupBH said:

I’ve been here 10 years with multiple kids in the sports program. I’ve never heard anyone say BH was going to win state championships because of the hiring of TW. Only outsiders mocking our district for spending what they thought was a lot of money. Not sure where your information is coming from. You sound bitter though with your smart••• replies.

I’ve been in this area for way longer than 10 years. Multiple kids, lots of sports, theatre, band, all the great stuff. Known kids and coaches all over.

I’ve never questioned TWs pedigree or talent.

There were plenty of people on this board and other forums/social media that talked about this hire being part of the plan to make BH a contender for titles. Nobody guaranteed it. But it was discussed.

When Riordan left Crosby, the chatter was about how many years until Crosby was competitive again.

Buncha wise guys will tell you “I knew they would come back fast and stronger than ever!”  Yeah. Ok. 

(Well…except that one guy.)

Crosby overperformed.

TW was a splash hire for good money (that’s the market, he earned it).

Nobody was talking about indoor facilities, S/C programs 5 years ago. It was about wins. Coaches don’t get hired for “moral victories”.

I’m finding it difficult to generate any bitterness around the fact TW underperformed and left.

6 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

I’ve been in this area for way longer than 10 years. Multiple kids, lots of sports, theatre, band, all the great stuff. Known kids and coaches all over.

There were plenty of people on this board and other forums/social media that talked about this hire being part of the plan to make BH a contender for titles. Nobody guaranteed it. But it was discussed.

When Riordan left Crosby, the chatter was about how many years until Crosby was competitive again.

Buncha wise guys will tell you “I knew they would come back fast and stronger than ever!”  Yeah. Ok. 

Crosby overperformed.

Nobody was talking about indoor facilities, S/C programs 5 years ago. It was about wins. Coaches don’t get hired for “moral victories”.

I’m finding it difficult to generate any bitterness around the fact TW underperformed and left.

No Kyler Murry's et al for TW to coach up.  And, maybe he left because BH will be 6A next go round and he had no shot competing with the likes of NS and Tascosita and he knew it.....

Just now, Austin1985 said:

No Kyler Murry's et al for TW to coach up.  And, maybe he left because BH will be 6A next go round and he had no shot competing with the likes of NS and Tascosita and he knew it.....

That stuff is so complicated and personal I wouldn’t want to guess why he took the other position. Closer to family, time with grandkids, health reasons.

I think all the great coaches want to compete with the best. I don’t think TW would shy away from that kind of thing. 

3 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

And the next Kyler Murray is one “new job for Dad at the plant” away from moving to BH, Deer Park, or even LaPorte.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

just kidding. Not LaPorte. 😀

1 minute ago, texbuzz said:

That stuff is so complicated and personal I wouldn’t want to guess why he took the other position. Closer to family, time with grandkids, health reasons.

I think all the great coaches want to compete with the best. I don’t think TW would shy away from that kind of thing. 

How many times did St Urban Mayer invoke his health, family, etc when he quit a major job.  Like I said, BH barely made a dent in 5A D2 and their numbers at the lower levels suggest that 6A is that white dot in that tunnel heading their way fast

Just now, texbuzz said:

And the next Kyler Murray is one “new job for Dad at the plant” away from moving to BH, Deer Park, or even LaPorte.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

just kidding. Not LaPorte. 😀

KM was special.  TW won 3 with him.  Before and after that, not being able to get out of Reg 1.  If it was Euless Trinity, it was SLC or somebody else knee capping Allen with all those kids, etc

Just now, Austin1985 said:

KM was special.  TW won 3 with him.  Before and after that, not being able to get out of Reg 1.  If it was Euless Trinity, it was SLC or somebody else knee capping Allen with all those kids, etc

That’s true about Kyler Murray. Maybe that’s not the best example.

20 minutes ago, Austin1985 said:

Thats right. I am sure TW is an decent coach but the powers that be at BH completely failed to realize he was not going to have a Kyler Murray & co. to coach when they made the hiring decision 5 years ago. When that hire was made, I had this very discussion with a co-worker from BH and I told him that very thing. TW without Murray & co. is just an ordinary coach, but got paid an extraordinary price simply due to the perception of being elite. 

An ideal candidate for BH would be someone similar to the late Jeff Walker from Liberty Hill. That was truly a great coach that over-performed with only average talent to work with. I hope BH has learned from this very expensive lesson, and will make a great, thoughtful hire.   

33 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:
1 hour ago, texbuzz said:

Crosby overperformed.

since you know everything about BH, and more knowledge of our school district then the people that actually live here, I’ll let you break everything down for the forum. Wow

Traden you know your wasting your breath. Everyone outside of BH always know what’s going on, what we should do and how stupid we were for making decisions. It’s like the housewife’s of SETX after a couple of bottles of wine😂.  Glad TW was here and hope they spend a million on the next one just to piss everyone off! We have a good class coming back this year, just hope the spread stays and we don’t start completely over.

13 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Thats exactly right. He underperformed. 

I don't blame BH for swinging for the fences 5 years ago. BH wanted to make a "big splash" with the hire and they did. The Westerberg hire did put BH on the statewide football map for all of 15 minutes of fame, but it ended there. Their intention was good but their thought process was quite flawed. Apparently they did not comprehend Westerberg was basically an illusion, without Kyler Murray surrounded by other move in talent at Allen, Westerberg would not have had a prayer of winning state.   

On the other side of the equation, it has been a bonanza for Westerberg. He came for the money and wow did he rake it in. Someone said 2 million in total compensation for the Westerbergs, with $666,667 per playoff win. Tell that result to BH five years ago and they would have run from Westerberg. Its time to move on for BH. They can't un-spend the money or undo the hire, so all they can do is move on and make wiser choices in the future. BH should focus on "bang for the buck", and not let themselves be infatuated with overhyped candidates with glitzy resumes.

+1,000

1 hour ago, BHFAN said:

Traden you know your wasting your breath. Everyone outside of BH always know what’s going on, what we should do and how stupid we were for making decisions. It’s like the housewife’s of SETX after a couple of bottles of wine😂.  Glad TW was here and hope they spend a million on the next one just to piss everyone off! We have a good class coming back this year, just hope the spread stays and we don’t start completely over.

Keep in mind this is an open forum for all fans, not limited to any particular schools insiders. Expect anyone to talk about anything, don't take it personal, its just how these work. TW was a high profile hire that made news around the whole state, and his subsequent performance and eventual leaving is just as news worthy, too. As I said, I hope BH makes a wiser hire this time, and brings someone in who can develop the program to the max.      

10 hours ago, BHFAN said:

I think you heard what I heard. Everyone is excited for The Friends Reunion, why wouldn't Barbers Hill fans be excited for an early 90s offense?

12 hours ago, texbuzz said:

Crosby overperformed.

The only teams we lined up with last year that had better personnel than us were Manvel and Aledo. That may have not been the case if Chris Marshall doesn't get ejected in the FB Marshall game but we'll never know. How did Crosby overperform by beating teams they had better personnel than? 

The only chatter you're talking about was coming from outside of Crosby. With the kids we put on the field every year we never expect not to be competitive. All you have to do is sit in the stands at one of our games and listen to the "chatter". We hated Riordan left but we also hated giving up 50ppg in playoff losses under him too. Coach P coached to his talent instead of trying to make the talent fit his coaching and these were the results. 

Crosby is probably one of the five biggest schools in 5A-D2 so we should be towards the top of the class talent wise. I think you're confusing years of Crosby underperforming with this year and us actually playing up to our ability. If you think Crosby overperformed this year, wait until Coach P gets one of those uber-talented teams like Rio had in '13 or '17. 

* Didn't mean to derail the discussion but after a decade of being accused of underperforming it's extremely odd to be accused of overperforming. 

• WOSgrad changed the title to CARL ABSECK NAMED NEW AD/HFC AT BARBERS HILL