2021 SETXsports.com TEAM PREVIEWS - TIMPSON BEARS

small.jpg.01e26211289b94a5e809283d015d57

2021 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PREVIEW

Timpson-22862127.png

TIMPSON BEARS

2020 INFORMATION

District: UIL 10-2A-I

2020 Overall Record: 14-1

2020 District Record: 6-0 (Class 2A Division I State Semifinalist)

STADIUM INFORMATION

Name: John Herbert Eakin Stadium

Address: 836 Bear Dr., Timpson, TX 

Capacity: 2,503

Turf: Artificial

OVERVIEW

The Timpson Bears simply had things going in 2020, posting a 14-1 record, an undefeated district slate and earning a trip to the Class 2A, Division I State Semifinals.  As good as 2020 was for the Bears, 2021 is primed to be even better as Coach Kerry Therwhanger returns nine starters on offense and seven on defense, all of whom now possess a whole load of playoff experience in attempt to be in AT&T Stadium this December.  

COACHING

Head Coach: Kerry Therwhanger

Assistant Coaches: Taylor Therwhanger (Offensive Coordinator), Patrick Gandy (Defensive Coordinator), Alex Cloudy. Patrick Pickens, Robert Perez, Victor Villarreal, Jake Tondreau, Chandler Burgay

OFFENSE 

Nine starters return to the Timpson spread offense in 2021.  The 10-2A-I  Offensive MVP, sophomore quarterback Terry Bussey, returns to guide the Bear offense.  The 10-2A-I MVP, senior running back Braden Courtney, returns to lead the Bear rushing attack.  The youngest unit on the offense could well be the receiver corp as senior slot receiver Malachi Blanton (2nd team all-district) and sophomore wide out Shaheed Cross return to be joined by senior wide out Hunter Tipton and sophomore receiver JaVoskie Howard.  A veteran offensive line senior Adrian Caraway (2nd team all-district), junior Jacorian Grace (2nd team all-district) and Xander Stephens (1st team all-district), Ernan Venegas (1st team all-district) and Briar Sample (2nd team all-district) all return.

DEFENSE

Seven starters return to the Timpson 3-3 defense in 2021.  Senior linemen Logan Depaepe (2nd team all-district) and Isaac Mathis (1st team all-district) return to the Bear front line.  Courtney (at inside linebacker), sophomore linebacker Tyler Lane (1st team all-district), and senior outside linebacker K.T. Washington (2nd team all-district) return to a linebacker unit which will also feature inside linebacker Cam Bennett and Tipton (outside linebacker).  Bussey and Blanton return to anchor a secondary which will  also include Howard.     

SPECIAL TEAMS

Special teams duties will be finalized during summer practice.

SCHEDULE

Aug. 27 - at Frankston, 7:30 pm

Sept. 3 - Alto, 7:30 pm

Sept. 10 - at Mt. Enterprise, 7:30 pm

Sept. 17 - Price Carlisle (HC), 7:30 pm

Sept. 24 - at Simms Bowie, 7:30 pm

Oct. 1 - OPEN

Oct. 8 - Garrison, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 15 - at San Augustine, 7:30 pm*

Oct. 22 - OPEN

Oct. 29 - at Joaquin 7:30 pm*

Nov. 5 - Shelbyville, 7:30 pm*