7 on 7

JaspD55

42 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

Don’t have code. What went down ? 

Silsbee qualified for Division II state tourney

Silsbee qualified for the Division II State 7 on 7 Tournament over the weekend.
Houston CES State Qualifier
Pool A
Silsbee 31 Brookshire Royal 0 F
Silsbee 25 Bay City 0 F
Silsbee 26 Grand Oaks JV 19 F

7 on 7 has to be the most overrated gauge to what teams are able to accomplish going into a season or to show what they've done in the off season.  It's good for competition, don't get me wrong, but isn't there a group of Hornets that won the 7 on 7 state championship but was lucky to win 4 games the next year?

6 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Silsbee qualified for Division II state tourney

Silsbee qualified for the Division II State 7 on 7 Tournament over the weekend.
Houston CES State Qualifier
Pool A
Silsbee 31 Brookshire Royal 0 F
Silsbee 25 Bay City 0 F
Silsbee 26 Grand Oaks JV 19 F

Not surprised. I think Silsbee has a good 6’6 tight end/receiver returning. 

12 hours ago, scat_trap said:

7 on 7 has to be the most overrated gauge to what teams are able to accomplish going into a season or to show what they've done in the off season.  It's good for competition, don't get me wrong, but isn't there a group of Hornets that won the 7 on 7 state championship but was lucky to win 4 games the next year?

Hardin qualified for the D2 State Tournament in 2007, 2008 and 2010 but they did not advance to the championship game.

On 5/18/2021 at 1:22 PM, scat_trap said:

A lot of teams will run a scheme designed for 7 on 7 play, if a team is trying to stay as close as they can to what they will do on Friday night, yes it could be a gauge for the quality of the team. At least at the skill positions anyway.

6 minutes ago, JaspD55 said:

A lot of teams will run a scheme designed for 7 on 7 play, if a team is trying to stay as close as they can to what they will do on Friday night, yes it could be a gauge for the quality of the team. At least at the skill positions anyway.

I get that, but if you don't have the guys up front then 7 on 7 being a gauge for success is a moot point. 

On 5/18/2021 at 1:22 PM, scat_trap said:

Here's the list of 7on7 State Champs since 2015....seems like pretty all of them are also good at real football the following season...there are a few years when a team wins it that isn't great at real football but most of the time the teams that win the state tournament are also good at the real stuff

Austin Westlake 14-2

Navasota 12-1

The Woodlands 15-1

Kaufman 8-4

Lake Travis 13-3

Graham 14-1

College Station 9-3

Midlothian Heritage 11-2

Gunter 15-1

A&M Consolidated 11-1

Sunnyvale 12-1

Poth 11-2

8 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

Here's the list of 7on7 State Champs since 2015....seems like pretty all of them are also good at real football the following season...there are a few years when a team wins it that isn't great at real football but most of the time the teams that win the state tournament are also good at the real stuff

Austin Westlake 14-2

Navasota 12-1

The Woodlands 15-1

Kaufman 8-4

Lake Travis 13-3

Graham 14-1

College Station 9-3

Midlothian Heritage 11-2

Gunter 15-1

A&M Consolidated 11-1

Sunnyvale 12-1

Poth 11-2

And I'll point to the fact that those schools have guys up front that can play as well.

I'm just pointing out that just because a team has success in 7 on 7 it doesn't always translate into success on the field.  

You are also bringing up big schools that probably run their base offensive passing concepts in 7 on 7 which can be an extension for them.  When was the last time Jasper or Newton lined up in the fall and threw the ball 25 plus times and had success?  That means they're most likely running something they won't even put in for the season.

Again, it's a great way to get kids competing throughout the summer but when fans base what the success of their program is going to be solely on 7 on 7 it's ridiculous.  I've never seen coaches get contracts extended based off 7 on 7 success but I've seen them "reassigned" in a heartbeat for getting their teeth kicked in during the fall.

20 minutes ago, scat_trap said:

And I'll point to the fact that those schools have guys up front that can play as well.

I'm just pointing out that just because a team has success in 7 on 7 it doesn't always translate into success on the field.  

You are also bringing up big schools that probably run their base offensive passing concepts in 7 on 7 which can be an extension for them.  When was the last time Jasper or Newton lined up in the fall and threw the ball 25 plus times and had success?  That means they're most likely running something they won't even put in for the season.

Again, it's a great way to get kids competing throughout the summer but when fans base what the success of their program is going to be solely on 7 on 7 it's ridiculous.  I've never seen coaches get contracts extended based off 7 on 7 success but I've seen them "reassigned" in a heartbeat for getting their teeth kicked in during the fall.

Your original comment was 7on7 was overrated as a gauge to Friday night success, I disagree, I think for teams that run their Friday night system on both sides of the ball there's a strong correlation to success in the fall (as evidenced by the results) stated earlier. Is 7on7 the sole reason they are having success? No, but I dont think success is overrated either...I think if you go out and get eyes on who is doing what, quite a bit can be gleamed from 7on7 as an indicator in the fall. 

“The more time we put in running routes and teaching each other, the more I learn their traits and what to look for in different situations.” — Memorial High quarterback Jah’mar Sanders 

This is the hidden content, please

Memorial Titans 7on7 article.