Greatest Country Music Career That Never Happened?

bullets13

My wife and I were driving to East Texas last weekend and I had an old classic country station on because not much was tuning in on my radio out in the middle of nowhere.  They said that Keith Whitley would be coming on after the commercial break and I got excited, saying how when I was little my dad kept a Keith Whitley cassette in his truck and I'd always listen to it when I'd visit him.  My wife had never heard of him.  She was a little skeptical when I told her that had he not died so young he possibly could have been as big as George Straight.  Anyway, "I'm No Stranger to the Rain" comes on, and she's like "Holy crap, his voice is better than George Straight's!  He sounds like a cross between George Straight and Randy Travis!"  I'm just like "Yup, he was reaaaaaally good."  It's a shame that he drank himself to death at the age of 33.  His BAC was reportedly .477 at the time of his death.  He had 3 #1 hits on his second studio album, and 2 more on his 3rd, which came out after his death.  Who knows how many he would've had if he'd had a long career.  

8 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

My wife and I were driving to East Texas last weekend and I had an old classic country station on because not much was tuning in on my radio out in the middle of nowhere.  They said that Keith Whitley would be coming on after the commercial break and I got excited, saying how when I was little my dad kept a Keith Whitley cassette in his truck and I'd always listen to it when I'd visit him.  My wife had never heard of him.  She was a little skeptical when I told her that had he not died so young he possibly could have been as big as George Straight.  Anyway, "I'm No Stranger to the Rain" comes on, and she's like "Holy crap, his voice is better than George Straight's!  He sounds like a cross between George Straight and Randy Travis!"  I'm just like "Yup, he was reaaaaaally good."  It's a shame that he drank himself to death at the age of 33.  His BAC was reportedly .477 at the time of his death.  He had 3 #1 hits on his second studio album, and 2 more on his 3rd, which came out after his death.  Who knows how many he would've had if he'd had a long career.  

He was awesome. I blame Lori Morgan. 

Yes, the guy had a great future.  Best as I can tell, getting a shot is, for most, like hitting the Lotto.  There’s quite a few folks that can sing, but not that many get a big time chance.  I worked with a guy who’s daughter could sing (sound) just like Patsy Cline.  Had demo tapes made & played bars in Texas & Oklahoma.  Never made the big time.  I went to school with Tracy Byrd’s mom, and my son graduated with Clay Walker.  Those two young men did good.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:24 PM, bullets13 said:

I know everyone thinks George is King, and he is well deserving of that moniker.  But if not for Whitley’s demons, he definitely would have been on the same level as Stait, if not bigger.  For the record, not one Strait song on my playlist, but loaded with Keith Whitley.  Not that I dislike George, just like Whitley better.

1 hour ago, BS Wildcats said:

I know everyone thinks George is King, and he is well deserving of that moniker.  But if not for Whitley’s demons, he definitely would have been on the same level as Stait, if not bigger.  For the record, not one Strait song on my playlist, but loaded with Keith Whitley.  Not that I dislike George, just like Whitley better.

Couldn’t agree more.  That guy was amazing. 

2 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

I can’t argue with George being the king and I love Keith Whitley but Merle is my favorite!!!

13 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

Good post, I would point out when referring to “King” George, you have to be specific. 🙂

11 hours ago, Ty Cobb said:

I can’t argue with George being the king and I love Keith Whitley but Merle is my favorite!!!

All 3 are among the best ever.  I suspect we can all agree that they don’t make them like the used to anymore.  Which is why our playlists are full of those guys.  Or maybe we are just getting old. 

3 hours ago, TxHoops said:

All 3 are among the best ever.  I suspect we can all agree that they don’t make them like the used to anymore.  Which is why our playlists are full of those guys.  Or maybe we are just getting old. 

That is spot on.  Funny how music and sports are alike.  Nothing better than 80’s and 90’s professional sports, just like the music.  And we could go back further than that.  Can’t hardly stand to listen to today’s country music or watch pro sports.  Specifically the NBA, probably haven’t watched a game in 5-6 years, can’t stand it!

1 hour ago, BS Wildcats said:

That is spot on.  Funny how music and sports are alike.  Nothing better than 80’s and 90’s professional sports, just like the music.  And we could go back further than that.  Can’t hardly stand to listen to today’s country music or watch pro sports.  Specifically the NBA, probably haven’t watched a game in 5-6 years, can’t stand it!

You hit the nail on the head.  Nothing was better than 80s basketball.   I still watch college but can’t remember the last nba game I watched start to finish on tv.   I will go occasionally with one of my sons but even live it’s not what it was. 

8 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

The Possum was great as well!

Perhaps he had a foreboding of the future when he sang, Who’s Gonna Fill Their Shoes.  Can’t any young singers today that I know of.  Most of today’s country would’ve been rock songs in my youth.

12 hours ago, Hagar said:

Perhaps he had a foreboding of the future when he sang, Who’s Gonna Fill Their Shoes.  Can’t any young singers today that I know of.  Most of today’s country would’ve been rock songs in my youth.

I like Tyler Childers and Coulter Wall. A few other yungins too.