White Privilege ?

Hagar

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Baylor is expensive.

I saw that first hand when I saw Silsbee football/track star Kalon Barnes athletic scholarship to Baylor. 4 years worth $750,000.

That’s the scholarship amount, but it doesn’t cost that much. About $70,000 a year including room and board. Tuition alone for a 4 year degree is approximately $215,000. 

22 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Here's the problem as I see it.  

You don't seem to have a problem with the fact that most NFL players are are black.  You have a problem that most qbs aren't black, too.  That is a problem in an of itself.  Why does it matter what color a player is?  It seems like you'd want the best man on the field for your team.  If Colin Kapernick had spent more time honing his craft and less time protesting, he might have had a longer career in the NFL.  

I might hurt your feelings here, but I think you need to understand.  Black athletes tend to be more explosive.  They excel in positions that require those abilities.  There are outliers.... you end up with an occassional McCaffree or whoever.  You could further ask how black athletes came about those genetics, and you'd probably get your feelings hurt because it was the result of some fine husbandry work that wrapped up in the US around 1865 or so.  Since then it's just continued in areas where those genetics are still strong.... like out around places like Belgrade, Biloxi, Sandjack, etc.... if you know, you know.  It's also not hard to recognize that most successful black qbs today aren't field generals... they're relying heavily on their athleticism.  Deshaun Watson, Rodney Peete, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson, etc.... they are guys that have tremendous athleticism, with a decent amount of critical thinking.   On the other hand you have guys like Rogers, Brady, Steve Young, the Mannings, Aikman, etc who had good arms but nowhere near the athletic abilities of the first group that I mentioned... they got it done with brain power.  The difference?  The second group are world champions and future hall of famers, while the jury is still out on the first group.   You can dig in and really do some analysis, or you could just complain that there aren't enough qbs "that look like me."

Back to businesses.... there used to be a lot of businesses that wouldn't hire based on prejudices.  The history is what the history is.  The problem is that now people actually believe that they are OWED a position based on their skin color.  That's literally doing the same thing.  There's no difference between not giving somebody a chance for a job because they're black in 1957 and not giving somebody a chance for a job because they're white in 2021.  No difference.  It doesn't matter what you're trying to correct or rectify, wrong is wrong.  Here's a scenario... sometimes we have a position to fill at my place of employment and we do our best to keep those positions under wraps because clients like to push us towards hiring people as a "favor."  Daughters, sons, nieces, whatever... the problem is that once you hire this person, you can't run them off if you need to because all you'll do is anger the person who sent the sorry employee your way.  We like to quietly find somebody who's a decent fit and go from there.  Likewise, if you have to pick between two candidates (one being white and one being black), which one is more likely to sue you if you have to let them go?  Do you owe it to the company to protect the bottom line?  It's a situation where trying to fix obvious problems has just created more problems.  It always amazes me.... somebody will sue a "racist" employer for firing them because they're black.... but I guess that they weren't too racist to hire you in the first place, huh?

I really felt like we'd made a lot of progress up until 15 or so years ago, but now it seems like the animosity has gotten worse.  It's nowhere near what it was in the 1960s, but definitely worse than I've seen in my lifetime and it's very unfortunate.  

My problem is the fact that the general consensus was that Black men were not smart enough to be a quarterback. Warren Moon wasn't initially drafted, he played in Canada. Steve Young, Fran Tarkington were mobile quarterbacks, did they have a low IQ? Lamar is a great pocket passer, and he is mobile, Russell Wilson is very accurate in the pocket.

This is the hidden content, please

14 minutes ago, Big girl said:

My problem is the fact that the general consensus was that Black men were not smart enough to be a quarterback. Warren Moon wasn't initially drafted, he played in Canada. Steve Young, Fran Tarkington were mobile quarterbacks, did they have a low IQ? Lamar is a great pocket passer, and he is mobile, Russell Wilson is very accurate in the pocket.

Unfortunately, She is correct on the bolded statement. While I don't believe that is the general consensus today, I'm old enough to remember it was in the 60's and 70's.

11 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Quarterback accuracy 

What I find interesting is pass completion and Super bowl wins don't even suggest a correlation.  It also depends on the guy receiving the pass.....  

Brady(7 rings) #19 pass completion

Montana(4 rings) #23 pass completion

Bradshaw (4 rings)  #171 pass completion  

1 hour ago, thetragichippy said:

What I find interesting is pass completion and Super bowl wins don't even suggest a correlation.  It also depends on the guy receiving the pass.....  

Like the saying goes, this isn’t a math contest.....

3 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

I would say look at the top 20 quarterbacks playoff completion percentage. The playoffs are win or go home. Pressure in the playoffs is totally different than regular season football  pressure. Who’s clutch when it really counts? Quarterbacks in the top 20 in playoff completion percentage have at least 25 Super Bowl wins. Then factor in the how many top 20 quarterbacks with playoff completion percentages made it to the Super Bowl but didn’t win it. Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, and Teddy Bridgewater are nowhere to be found. Heck..,one of my favorite quarterbacks Russell Wilson didn’t even make the top 20 but he has made it to the Super Bowl twice an won it once.

NFL Pass Completion % Career Playoffs Leaders

Players must meet the 

to show up on this leaderboard.

Leaders

• + indicates Hall of Famer
Rank Player Cmp% Years Tm
68.1% 2012-2020
67.5% 2008-2020
66.7% 2001-2020 2TM
+
66.5% 1998-2009 2TM
66.3% 1971-1986
64.6% 2005-2020
+
64.3% 1984-2000 2TM
64.2% 1987-2004 3TM
+
63.7% 1989-2000
63.5% 2017-2020
+
63.2% 1998-2015 2TM
63.0% 2004-2020
62.7% 2000-2020 2TM

+
62.7% 1979-1994 2TM
+
62.0% 1985-1999
61.9% 1997-2006 2TM
61.7% 2005-2020 2TM
61.6% 2004-2016
61.1% 2000-2010 2TM
+
61.0% 1956-1971

1 hour ago, BS Wildcats said:

How does pass completion percentage correlate to Super Bowl wins?  If you would pick Watson over Brady, you are truly delusional.  Just what point are you making with that post?

Someone tried to allude to the fact that black quaterbacks rely on their scrambling and athleticism, and white quaterbacks rely on their intellect. There are white qb's that scrabble; as well. There are black quaterbacks that are pocket passers. I am not talking about Superbowl wins.

4 hours ago, Big girl said:

Warren Moon is an exceptional example of a pocket black guy....   The point is this.... Why is it racist to say "white guys make better quarterbacks" but nobody has a problem with "black dudes make better running backs?"  My guess is that you don't have a problem with 95% of the rbs in the league being black.  Just with the lack of black qbs.  Unless you're willing to give 70% of the rb spots to white guys without further discussion, then you aren't being fair, equitable, just, etc, and your arguments about "diversity" are just thinly veiled racism.  

3 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Warren Moon is an exceptional example of a pocket black guy....   The point is this.... Why is it racist to say "white guys make better quarterbacks" but nobody has a problem with "black dudes make better running backs?"  My guess is that you don't have a problem with 95% of the rbs in the league being black.  Just with the lack of black qbs.  Unless you're willing to give 70% of the rb spots to white guys without further discussion, then you aren't being fair, equitable, just, etc, and your arguments about "diversity" are just thinly veiled racism.  

That is hard to argue.....With 74% of the NBA black and 60% of the NFL black, I think those sports are very diverse. 

Just now, thetragichippy said:

That is hard to argue.....With 74% of the NBA black and 60% of the NFL black, I think those sports are very diverse. 

True and I agree. BUT... One might pose these questions to refute your opinion:

How many black owners are there?

How many black GM’s are there?

As a percentage, how many black head coaches? (That number is increasing)

A plantation may be comprised of 85% blacks, but who reaps the rewards?...

4 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

That's my problem with the argument... How can one overlook the racial disparities for all of those multi-millionaire player positions to complain about a lack of diversity elsewhere? 

1 minute ago, SmashMouth said:

No offense, but the last time I checked, no one is forced to suit up and play ball, and they dang sure aren't indentured servants.   Unless you're willing to admit that 60% of those player spots belong to white people, then you should shut up about the color of the qb, coach, etc....

1 minute ago, CardinalBacker said:

No offense, but the last time I checked, no one is forced to suit up and play ball, and they dang sure aren't indentured servants.   Unless you're willing to admit that 60% of those player spots belong to white people, then you should shut up about the color of the qb, coach, etc....

I wasn’t refuting anything. I was just pointing out the counterpoint. 

6 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

How many Asian Coaches are there, How many Latino Coaches are there? There are other minorities that live in the United States.