White Privilege ?

Hagar

Another great meme.  Says volumes.

I’LL BELIEVE WHITE PRIVILEGE EXIST WHEN.......

America Has All Of The Following:

White Caucus

White Entertainment TV

White Only Scholarships 

NAAWP

White History Month

White Lives Matter

White Only Clubs, Organizations, ETC.

Until then, the only privilege that exist is Liberal Privilege.

12 hours ago, Hagar said:

White Caucus

White Entertainment TV

White Only Scholarships 

NAAWP

White History Month

White Lives Matter

I disagree with you.  I believe that there is a privilege that exists by virtue of being white.  Also by virtue of being Asian, Hispanic, African-American, or just about any other way we can choose to differentiate ourselves.  

If you really think that there's not a genetic component to the well-documented Asian intellect, you're kidding yourself.   A large percentage of Asians and Hispanics also have the "privilege" of coming from a traditional nuclear family, believe it or not.  Those two groups typically have a much better than average credit ratings as well... even better than whites on average.  Don't even get me started on the physical gifts that seem to grace those of African American descent, or even the strongly held faith that seems to be present more often in the black community.

But I do believe that white privilege, oppression, and systemic racism exist...and they account for about 2% of the problems facing the black community today... but that's all anybody wants to talk about.  

10 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I agree with a lot of what you said. But what are some examples of “systemic racism”?

When a candidate for a job is given preference because of his race.... there is systemic racism.  Unless we call it "affirmative action."  You know, where two wrongs make a right.

Or, if the Federal Government decides to disperse 25% of their PPP loans to farmers based on the borrower's skin color, despite that "color" of farmer making up only 1% of total farmers in the US... you have systemic racism.

When people pay a federal tax for going to a tanning bed, they're experiencing "systemic" racism."  Because there aren't a lot of browns/blacks paying that tax. 

There's plenty of racism to go around. 

39 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I disagree with you.  I believe that there is a privilege that exists by virtue of being white.  Also by virtue of being Asian, Hispanic, African-American, or just about any other way we can choose to differentiate ourselves.  

If you really think that there's not a genetic component to the well-documented Asian intellect, you're kidding yourself.   A large percentage of Asians and Hispanics also have the "privilege" of coming from a traditional nuclear family, believe it or not.  Those two groups typically have a much better than average credit ratings as well... even better than whites on average.  Don't even get me started on the physical gifts that seem to grace those of African American descent, or even the strongly held faith that seems to be present more often in the black community.

But I do believe that white privilege, oppression, and systemic racism exist...and they account for about 2% of the problems facing the black community today... but that's all anybody wants to talk about.  

I agree with much of this, but those things in the meme do not exist, and if they did, the wailing & gnashing of teeth would be heard around the world.  You make points that are considered racism now.  It’s okay if you say blacks are superior in athletics, but you’re racist if you say whites are smarter than blacks, although most whites easily admit that asians are smarter than whites.   But to add to your post, each race brings something to the table to augment humanity.   The fact that the US is the greatest country on earth, and to my knowledge, with the most racially mixed population, is an indication of that.  Jmo

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

When a candidate for a job is given preference because of his race.... there is systemic racism.  Unless we call it "affirmative action."  You know, where two wrongs make a right.

Or, if the Federal Government decides to disperse 25% of their PPP loans to farmers based on the borrower's skin color, despite that "color" of farmer making up only 1% of total farmers in the US... you have systemic racism.

When people pay a federal tax for going to a tanning bed, they're experiencing "systemic" racism."  Because there aren't a lot of browns/blacks paying that tax. 

There's plenty of racism to go around. 

I knew that’s what you meant. I just thought it would be fruitful to explain it. 

On 5/10/2021 at 9:12 PM, Hagar said:

White Caucus

White Entertainment TV

White Only Scholarships 

NAAWP

White History Month

White Lives Matter

Whe have those things, because we weren't well represented. How many shows do you know of that are centered around black families? I have never heard of a black only club. White history is celebrated every month. My son majored in history at Baylor. He said that he only learned about 3 black people in those traditional classes. He learned about a lot of African Americans in his African American studies class.

12 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Whe have those things, because we weren't well represented. How many shows do you know of that are centered around black families? I have never heard of a black only club. White history is celebrated every month. My son majored in history at Baylor. He said that he only learned about 3 black people in those traditional classes. He learned about a lot of African Americans in his African American studies class.

So black people made black books about black people? 
You can’t see that white anything has to contain black? Are you blind? There is no white only TV network. Whites don’t get bonus points on civil service exams. Black business owners aren’t required to hire a certain percentage of whites. You have done well for yourself. You look the proverbial gift horse  in the mouth. 
Black only club..... Compro on Cardinal Drive

35 minutes ago, Big girl said:

If you’re using sins of the past to justify more sins today, that’s ludicrous. There’s not a race, or group of people on earth that hasn’t committed atrocities.  Do you think pushing racial division is right or good for the country?  How do you think people feel when blacks insist that only black lives matter?

49 minutes ago, Big girl said:

C'mon... The Cosby Show, the show that had Erkel, 227, Jackee', the Fresh Prince, Good Times, The Jeffersons, have all been around for decades.  I don't watch TV anymore, but I have caught an episode or two of Blackish and Empire.  

White History isn't "celebrated" every month... in fact, it's not celebrated at all.  

Your kid wasn't paying attention if that's all he learned about.  All I have is my high school diploma and a junky ol' business degree from Lamar and I can tell you all about Frederick Douglass, the Tuskegee Airmen, Harriet Tubman, Booker T Washington, Plessy vs. Ferguson, Brown vs the Board of Education of Topeka, Martin Luther King, Jr, Thurgood Marshall, Jesse Jackson, Rosa Parks, etc, etc, etc.... stop pretending that black History has been somehow ignored.  

My problem is this... If you want to have a Congressional Black Caucus, go right ahead.  But you can't be upset if somebody wants to have a group of White congressman.  That's just an example, but it's representative of the problem as a whole.  If somebody wants to form a black student union, it's all fine and dandy... but the instant that someone proposes a group to support white people, they're immediately branded as supremacists, white nationalists, racists, etc..... the double standard is appalling.  The idea that it's okay to celebrate your heritage only if you're black is preposterous and will ultimately lead to worse relations between the races.  I firmly believe that the constant demonization of the white segment of our society by the left is going to lead to results that none of us want.  

Serious question, though... how did your kid get into Baylor?  I'd have liked to send mine, but it wasn't in the cards.  You either a) have a lot more money than I do or b) have athletic gifts that enabled him to get an athletic scholarship or c) he's a preacher's kid or perhaps even got admission to fill some sort of quota based on his skin color. Either way, your kid got an opportunity that mine didn't.  That's just how it goes, though.... I'm glad that your kid got that chance and I hope he's taken full advantage of it.  Don't you think it's ironic that a kid who has had "privileges" that my kids didn't is still lying about how "he only learned about 3 black people in those traditional classes" as if he's somehow been oppressed?  

On 5/13/2021 at 12:38 PM, CardinalBacker said:

C'mon... The Cosby Show, the show that had Erkel, 227, Jackee', the Fresh Prince, Good Times, The Jeffersons, have all been around for decades.  I don't watch TV anymore, but I have caught an episode or two of Blackish and Empire.  

White History isn't "celebrated" every month... in fact, it's not celebrated at all.  

Your kid wasn't paying attention if that's all he learned about.  All I have is my high school diploma and a junky ol' business degree from Lamar and I can tell you all about Frederick Douglass, the Tuskegee Airmen, Harriet Tubman, Booker T Washington, Plessy vs. Ferguson, Brown vs the Board of Education of Topeka, Martin Luther King, Jr, Thurgood Marshall, Jesse Jackson, Rosa Parks, etc, etc, etc.... stop pretending that black History has been somehow ignored.  

My problem is this... If you want to have a Congressional Black Caucus, go right ahead.  But you can't be upset if somebody wants to have a group of White congressman.  That's just an example, but it's representative of the problem as a whole.  If somebody wants to form a black student union, it's all fine and dandy... but the instant that someone proposes a group to support white people, they're immediately branded as supremacists, white nationalists, racists, etc..... the double standard is appalling.  The idea that it's okay to celebrate your heritage only if you're black is preposterous and will ultimately lead to worse relations between the races.  I firmly believe that the constant demonization of the white segment of our society by the left is going to lead to results that none of us want.  

Serious question, though... how did your kid get into Baylor?  I'd have liked to send mine, but it wasn't in the cards.  You either a) have a lot more money than I do or b) have athletic gifts that enabled him to get an athletic scholarship or c) he's a preacher's kid or perhaps even got admission to fill some sort of quota based on his skin color. Either way, your kid got an opportunity that mine didn't.  That's just how it goes, though.... I'm glad that your kid got that chance and I hope he's taken full advantage of it.  Don't you think it's ironic that a kid who has had "privileges" that my kids didn't is still lying about how "he only learned about 3 black people in those traditional classes" as if he's somehow been oppressed?  

Guess she didn’t want to see that 

On 5/13/2021 at 11:43 AM, baddog said:

So black people made black books about black people? 
You can’t see that white anything has to contain black? Are you blind? There is no white only TV network. Whites don’t get bonus points on civil service exams. Black business owners aren’t required to hire a certain percentage of whites. You have done well for yourself. You look the proverbial gift horse  in the mouth. 
Black only club..... Compro on Cardinal Drive

Why? Because, qualified black people were not being included. If there wasn't a criteria, some businesses wouldn't hire any blacks. Black owned businesses hire white people, and I dont think that black people get bonus points on civil service exams. How many people got jobs merely because they are white? Black only clubs are not legal. At one point, he general consensus amongst publishers was the notion that black people dont read. Growing up, I dont remember reading any fiction novels written  by a  black author, and there are books where every character is white. "Waiting to Exhale" was the first book that I read that had a black author. I was 24, at the time. I didnt learn about Medgar Evers, the Tuskegee Airman, Malcolm X, etc in traditional history classes. My youngest son, who graduated from High School, 2 years ago, didn't know who any of these people were until I told him. I didnt know about the women depicted in the movie "Hidden Figures". They were called human calculators, until last year. How many family friendly shows are on network tv, now? Blackish is the only one I can think of at this time. At one time, some thought that black men weren't smart enough to play quarterback in the NFL. That was only about 30 years ago.

12 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Why? Because, qualified black people were not being included. If there wasn't a criteria, some businesses wouldn't hire any blacks. Black owned businesses hire white people, and I dont think that black people get bonus points on civil service exams. How many people got jobs merely because they are white? Black only clubs are not legal. At one point, he general consensus amongst publishers was the notion that black people dont read. Growing up, I dont remember reading any fiction novels written  by a  black author, and there are books where every character is white. "Waiting to Exhale" was the first book that I read that had a black author. I was 24, at the time. I didnt learn about Medgar Evers, the Tuskegee Airman, Malcolm X, etc in traditional history classes. My youngest son, who graduated from High School, 2 years ago, didn't know who any of these people were until I told him. I didnt know about the women depicted in the movie "Hidden Figures". They were called human calculators, until last year. How many family friendly shows are on network tv, now? Blackish is the only one I can think of at this time. At one time, some thought that black men weren't smart enough to play quarterback in the NFL. That was only about 30 years ago.

Man you led a sheltered life. You can probably count on one hand the number of whites at the post office. I would expound but I’m not talking to Big Girl. Too many words in one post for her. 

7 minutes ago, Big girl said:

You are correct on civil service tests, however..... other criteria are taken into account that may include race. 

Hidden Figures was a great movie.

I didn’t learn about Evers, King and others, because I was alive during their “history”. History class didn’t teach current events. 

I actually met, took pictures with and got a book signed by one of the original Tuskegee Airmen while at the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. I told him what a true honor it was to meet him. 

24 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

You are correct on civil service tests, however..... other criteria are taken into account that may include race. 

Hidden Figures was a great movie.

I didn’t learn about Evers, King and others, because I was alive during their “history”. History class didn’t teach current events. 

I actually met, took pictures with and got a book signed by one of the original Tuskegee Airmen while at the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. I told him what a true honor it was to meet him. 

Excuse me. They lowered the hiring score. What’s the difference?

2 hours ago, Big girl said:

Here's the problem as I see it.  

You don't seem to have a problem with the fact that most NFL players are are black.  You have a problem that most qbs aren't black, too.  That is a problem in an of itself.  Why does it matter what color a player is?  It seems like you'd want the best man on the field for your team.  If Colin Kapernick had spent more time honing his craft and less time protesting, he might have had a longer career in the NFL.  

I might hurt your feelings here, but I think you need to understand.  Black athletes tend to be more explosive.  They excel in positions that require those abilities.  There are outliers.... you end up with an occassional McCaffree or whoever.  You could further ask how black athletes came about those genetics, and you'd probably get your feelings hurt because it was the result of some fine husbandry work that wrapped up in the US around 1865 or so.  Since then it's just continued in areas where those genetics are still strong.... like out around places like Belgrade, Biloxi, Sandjack, etc.... if you know, you know.  It's also not hard to recognize that most successful black qbs today aren't field generals... they're relying heavily on their athleticism.  Deshaun Watson, Rodney Peete, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson, etc.... they are guys that have tremendous athleticism, with a decent amount of critical thinking.   On the other hand you have guys like Rogers, Brady, Steve Young, the Mannings, Aikman, etc who had good arms but nowhere near the athletic abilities of the first group that I mentioned... they got it done with brain power.  The difference?  The second group are world champions and future hall of famers, while the jury is still out on the first group.   You can dig in and really do some analysis, or you could just complain that there aren't enough qbs "that look like me."

Back to businesses.... there used to be a lot of businesses that wouldn't hire based on prejudices.  The history is what the history is.  The problem is that now people actually believe that they are OWED a position based on their skin color.  That's literally doing the same thing.  There's no difference between not giving somebody a chance for a job because they're black in 1957 and not giving somebody a chance for a job because they're white in 2021.  No difference.  It doesn't matter what you're trying to correct or rectify, wrong is wrong.  Here's a scenario... sometimes we have a position to fill at my place of employment and we do our best to keep those positions under wraps because clients like to push us towards hiring people as a "favor."  Daughters, sons, nieces, whatever... the problem is that once you hire this person, you can't run them off if you need to because all you'll do is anger the person who sent the sorry employee your way.  We like to quietly find somebody who's a decent fit and go from there.  Likewise, if you have to pick between two candidates (one being white and one being black), which one is more likely to sue you if you have to let them go?  Do you owe it to the company to protect the bottom line?  It's a situation where trying to fix obvious problems has just created more problems.  It always amazes me.... somebody will sue a "racist" employer for firing them because they're black.... but I guess that they weren't too racist to hire you in the first place, huh?

I really felt like we'd made a lot of progress up until 15 or so years ago, but now it seems like the animosity has gotten worse.  It's nowhere near what it was in the 1960s, but definitely worse than I've seen in my lifetime and it's very unfortunate.  

17 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Here's the problem as I see it.  

You don't seem to have a problem with the fact that most NFL players are are black.  You have a problem that most qbs aren't black, too.  That is a problem in an of itself.  Why does it matter what color a player is?  It seems like you'd want the best man on the field for your team.  If Colin Kapernick had spent more time honing his craft and less time protesting, he might have had a longer career in the NFL.  

I might hurt your feelings here, but I think you need to understand.  Black athletes tend to be more explosive.  They excel in positions that require those abilities.  There are outliers.... you end up with an occassional McCaffree or whoever.  You could further ask how black athletes came about those genetics, and you'd probably get your feelings hurt because it was the result of some fine husbandry work that wrapped up in the US around 1865 or so.  Since then it's just continued in areas where those genetics are still strong.... like out around places like Belgrade, Biloxi, Sandjack, etc.... if you know, you know.  It's also not hard to recognize that most successful black qbs today aren't field generals... they're relying heavily on their athleticism.  Deshaun Watson, Rodney Peete, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson, etc.... they are guys that have tremendous athleticism, with a decent amount of critical thinking.   On the other hand you have guys like Rogers, Brady, Steve Young, the Mannings, Aikman, etc who had good arms but nowhere near the athletic abilities of the first group that I mentioned... they got it done with brain power.  The difference?  The second group are world champions and future hall of famers, while the jury is still out on the first group.   You can dig in and really do some analysis, or you could just complain that there aren't enough qbs "that look like me."

Back to businesses.... there used to be a lot of businesses that wouldn't hire based on prejudices.  The history is what the history is.  The problem is that now people actually believe that they are OWED a position based on their skin color.  That's literally doing the same thing.  There's no difference between not giving somebody a chance for a job because they're black in 1957 and not giving somebody a chance for a job because they're white in 2021.  No difference.  It doesn't matter what you're trying to correct or rectify, wrong is wrong.  Here's a scenario... sometimes we have a position to fill at my place of employment and we do our best to keep those positions under wraps because clients like to push us towards hiring people as a "favor."  Daughters, sons, nieces, whatever... the problem is that once you hire this person, you can't run them off if you need to because all you'll do is anger the person who sent the sorry employee your way.  We like to quietly find somebody who's a decent fit and go from there.  Likewise, if you have to pick between two candidates (one being white and one being black), which one is more likely to sue you if you have to let them go?  Do you owe it to the company to protect the bottom line?  It's a situation where trying to fix obvious problems has just created more problems.  It always amazes me.... somebody will sue a "racist" employer for firing them because they're black.... but I guess that they weren't too racist to hire you in the first place, huh?

I really felt like we'd made a lot of progress up until 15 or so years ago, but now it seems like the animosity has gotten worse.  It's nowhere near what it was in the 1960s, but definitely worse than I've seen in my lifetime and it's very unfortunate.  

I wonder who they would pick to lead their team if they had a choice between Brady or (kapwrnick, rg3, Cunningham, Newton, Jackson)

we all know who they would pick.

enough said

On 5/13/2021 at 12:38 PM, CardinalBacker said:

He had a 4.9 on a 4.0 scale. He graduated 12th in class out of 600+ students. He also was an AP scholar. He took the AP test and tested out of 6 college courses. Are you trying to insulate that he didnt deserve it? It's amazing that you assumed that he was admitted to meet " some quota". He received 140,000 in academic schlorships. We paid the rest. 

8 minutes ago, Big girl said:

He had a 4.9 on a 4.0 scale. He graduated 12th in class out of 600+ students. He also was an AP scholar. He took the AP test and tested out of 6 college courses. Are you trying to insulate that he didnt deserve it? It's amazing that you assumed that he was admitted to meet " some quota". He received 140,000 in academic schlorships. We paid the rest. 

He sounds like a really good kid... you should be proud.  Seriously, though... how does that feel when somebody insinuates that he just got that opportunity because of his skin color?

Because that's exactly what you do every time you accuse somebody of benefitting from so-called "white privilege."

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

He sounds like a really good kid... you should be proud.  Seriously, though... how does that feel when somebody insinuates that he just got that opportunity because of his skin color?

Because that's exactly what you do every time you accuse somebody of benefitting from so-called "white privilege."

Baylor is a private college and very difficult to obtain admittance. May be one of the most expensive, too. Your grades have to be up there, but you will need assistance with the dough. $140,000 will get you 3 semesters at Baylor, if not less. She has absolutely nothing to cry about race issues yet, here she is. What a blowhard. 

58 minutes ago, baddog said:

Baylor is a private college and very difficult to obtain admittance. May be one of the most expensive, too. Your grades have to be up there, but you will need assistance with the dough. $140,000 will get you 3 semesters at Baylor, if not less. She has absolutely nothing to cry about race issues yet, here she is. What a blowhard. 

Baylor is expensive.

I saw that first hand when I saw Silsbee football/track star Kalon Barnes athletic scholarship to Baylor. 4 years worth $750,000.