Summer Creek

6 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Do you really want to do that?  Especially since PAM made it just as far in the playoffs as United did...  🐸

We're not talking about playoffs dumbarse. Apparently you trying to stir a pot that doesn't exist.

Need i remind you:

Port Arthur Memorial 20

Beaumont United 0. Final.

And that was just 1st half.

Shut your JV football program arse up. Same bs program that wanted to scrimmage WB instead of playing em. Scary arses. 

1 hour ago, scat_trap said:

And just because you have speed it doesn't mean you have the other pieces that go to the puzzle.  You've got to have the kids up front to be able to open things up or shut things down and I don't think they do especially for what they're going against in their district.

I'll start off by asking:  So, you don't think that over the past 3 years SC hasn't had the talent to be a championship-type ball club?

58 minutes ago, dayton said:

Elite track and field takes tons of skill. 6A track and field in Texas is elite. Period. 

It does take major talent, but those sport coaches that don't take track coaching seriously, rarely have a TEAM at the state meet.

I assume you saw DK Metcalf get an extremely respectable 15th out of 17 against those "unskilled" track athletes yesterday. He's a beast, but nowhere close in terms of track skill, just as those sprinters would be on a football field. The country's top few sprinters weren't even in that 100m field. Track should not be compared to football.

Also, some of those SC kids are track only.

If DK Metcalf trained to be a professional sprinter he would weigh less than 210 lbs. He’s 6’3 235 right now. Bolt was 6’5 207 for reference. Fred Kerley 6’3 205 is a good comparison.

You are right, track athletes have “physical” skill or athletic ability. But I classify skill as in hitting, shooting, catching, defending, and passing/throwing to name a few. Anything that requires adjustment, reaction, adaptation, and combination of different body functions to perform a task. I see track as a continuous replication of physical activity with the skill level being low because of limited adjustments, reaction, and adaptation. 

WE CAN AGREE TO DISAGREE ON THE SKILL LEVEL OF TRACK.

I once knew a 3x state champion track coach and his coaching point was to “run fast and turn left.” But many athletes would run through a wall for that coach.

Good points. We definitely disagree on the skill level required for T&F. Many of those claiming that DK could make an Olympic team at his current size, are likely in the same boat with you, as far as that's concerned. All good though, because one thing is for sure, he probably did more good for track and field than anyone since Bolt.

Lots of good old track coaches like that. I had one myself. SC coaches are definitely teaching the continuous replication of physical activity required by elite T&F though and it shows.

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

I'll start off by asking:  So, you don't think that over the past 3 years SC hasn't had the talent to be a championship-type ball club?

I've only watched one of their games so I'm not going to say yes or no.  I know who they play against and have watched those clubs.

I've also witnessed schools that have had really good track programs not win in football and those kids are playing football too.

There was a stretch in the late 90s/early 00s that Madisonville was sending kids to the state track meet left and right but couldn't get out of the 1st round of the playoffs.

All I'm pointing out is it takes more than just a fast track kid or two to make teams successful.  If that was the case, why aren't the Pflugerville schools and Elgin not winning more?

1 hour ago, scat_trap said:

I've only watched one of their games so I'm not going to say yes or no.  I know who they play against and have watched those clubs.

I've also witnessed schools that have had really good track programs not win in football and those kids are playing football too.

There was a stretch in the late 90s/early 00s that Madisonville was sending kids to the state track meet left and right but couldn't get out of the 1st round of the playoffs.

All I'm pointing out is it takes more than just a fast track kid or two to make teams successful.  If that was the case, why aren't the Pflugerville schools and Elgin not winning more?

I wonder, just wonder -- if we'd be having this conversation if T. Buchanan or S. Surrett was SC's coach.  Hense, again, it may not be about the talent.

Football coaches stress, usually, that they want their players to participate in track.  It helps the football team.

The last bold section:  Answer -- may be the coaching?!

That 1st year, Xbox feasted on Pasadena ISD and was able to win the district.  Then the UIL put them with NS and WB plus Humble got better quickly.  Didn't understand why he left PA to all places, SC which you are one of 5 schools in a district......

Anyway,

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lancaster win state meets with a subpar football team until the last 6 or so years.  Having fast kids in the spring doesn't equate success in the fall.  As a contrast, what did BH do at the state meet since they scored a bazillion points at the district meet?

17 hours ago, Reagan said:

I wonder, just wonder -- if we'd be having this conversation if T. Buchanan or S. Surrett was SC's coach.  Hense, again, it may not be about the talent.

Football coaches stress, usually, that they want their players to participate in track.  It helps the football team.

So you went with Buchanan and Surratt (check the spelling btw)?  That's interesting you'd bring those guys up in conversation.  Let me bring some other "big names" up and you tell me if they've won outside of the places that weren't already winning.  I'll even give you the schools they've been recently at.

Tom Westerburg (Barbers Hill via Allen)

Todd Dodge (SLC, College, Marble Falls, Westlake)

Rusty Nail (Mart [which is still winning state championships], Madisonville)

Don Willis (Won several state championships in Oklahoma, Garland Lake View Centennial)

Mike Spradlin (Temple, AD Magnolia, Rockwall Heath)

I'll even give you this one.  Michael Wall won state championships at Lake Travis and Temple as the offensive coordinator and he's the head coach at Willis right now.  He was even on staff at Lake Travis when they won the 1st state championship and he'll tell you (as well as the other guys on that staff) that it was the senior class that year that changed the dynamic of the culture there.  Look his record up at Willis and please tell me it's solely on coaching.  They got rid of a guy that somewhat kept Willis competitive to hire Wall too.

By your logic, or at least the things you're posting, winning is on coaching.  Why do you think the NFL and other professional sports leagues have "tanking" years?  They reinvest in their talent levels.  If it didn't come down to Jimmys and Joes why in the world do NFL executives make the comments they do about infusing their rosters with talent? 

Sounds to me like someone needs to get into administration at Summer Creek so that they can be involved with the hiring and firing process.

21 hours ago, Reagan said:

Not no, but heck no. They haven't even had the most talent in their own school district during that period, Atascocita has. Not to mention, most years you'll have to get through Katy in 6A region 3-D2. As far as 6As go in this northeast Harris County area I would probably rank them behind even CE King over the last few years.  

20 hours ago, Reagan said:

Probably so. People are having the same conversations about Rhoades and Westerberg after leaving Cameron Yoe and Allen. 

On 5/10/2021 at 10:06 AM, Pot Stirrer said:

Nothing to see here. Run fast and turn left, jump over anything in the way. That takes a lot of skill (sarcasm). Football should not be compared to track.

Devils Advocate:

Track requires the least amount of coaching and team cohesion. 99% of high school track coaches are all football coaches 1st. 

I would have to say this may be the most back wood - none athletic competing - hold my beer "then bust his ARSE" statement I have read in a long time. Track & Field and Elite Track & Field takes more coaching than most sports including football. You show me a coach who can teach proper vertical or horizonal jumps technique and I will also show you a football coach who relies on just given the ball to the best athlete (which takes no coaching). A good track and field coach has to understand how to set up an actual training program for all athletes (runners, jumpers, throwers, distance, sprinters, hurdlers...) When you get into the major metroplex cities outside of SETX most HS only hire non football coaches as their Cross Country / Head Track Coaches, its very rare that you have football coaches as the Head Track/ Cross Country coach.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:43 AM, Go-rilla said:

1. Summer Creek

2. Cedar Hill- Anyone want to say this aint a good HS football program????

3. Woodlands CP- Playoffs

4.Lake Travis- Anyone want to say this isn't a good HS football program????

5. Harlingen- Playoffs

6. Alief Taylor- Anyone want to say these guys aint got football players???

Not putting down SC but your comment on top teams not making the playoffs was wrong.

What did I say wrong? 2 didn’t make playoffs, 2 knocked out in first round, 1 knocked out in second , Cedar Hill runner-up! All facts that you also posted!

2 hours ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

What did I say wrong? 2 didn’t make playoffs, 2 knocked out in first round, 1 knocked out in second , Cedar Hill runner-up! All facts that you also posted!

I think he’s talking on more of a historical basis..like over past 5-10 years 

On 5/11/2021 at 11:01 AM, ozens fastest@1906 said:

I would have to say this may be the most back wood - none athletic competing - hold my beer "then bust his ARSE" statement I have read in a long time. Track & Field and Elite Track & Field takes more coaching than most sports including football. You show me a coach who can teach proper vertical or horizonal jumps technique and I will also show you a football coach who relies on just given the ball to the best athlete (which takes no coaching). A good track and field coach has to understand how to set up an actual training program for all athletes (runners, jumpers, throwers, distance, sprinters, hurdlers...) When you get into the major metroplex cities outside of SETX most HS only hire non football coaches as their Cross Country / Head Track Coaches, its very rare that you have football coaches as the Head Track/ Cross Country coach.

Cross Country coaches are not football coaches because it's during the same season. Only knew a few football coaches who coached cross country and they were doing the AD a favor because they couldn’t find another coach. 

Like I said to Dayton, we can agree to disagree on the skill level of T&F.

My point about track was they reproduce the same physical movement over and over in competition. Other sports have more variants that require continuous adjustments, adaptations and reactions (relays have some). 100m will always be 100m and so on with every running event. All vertical and horizontal jumps, you replicate the same number of steps and jump off the same leg every time (when it doesn’t feel right, don’t put your pole in the hole or touch the mat or throw the object and you can redo). 

I’ll refrain from comparing training for track and power-lifting and how similar they are. 

I enjoy watching elite T&F. The Texas State Championships should be on everyone’s sports bucket list. 

Let's get back to underachieving Summer Creek Football.

I will never put down the coaches of another sport, never.

And to be honest, yes an elite track and field coach has to be a master at a number of different techniques, especially in the field events and be able to train different athletes differently to ensure success.

However, to put down football coaches and say track and field coaches have to do more coaching is completely asinine. The last time I checked the track or the pit didn't play defense. Or the opponents you were competing against weren't trying to score on you. Football coaches have to teach the same intricate techniques that track coaches teach, all while putting in a game plan against an opponent and including the factors of teamwork and collisions and opposing coaches planning to stop what you are doing.

You are obviously not a high level football coach if you think track and field coaches have a more difficult job than football coaches.

I've been to a handful of DFW track meets this year and I can tell you the only male coaches I ran into that weren't tied to football were the distance guys and the retired coaches that did pole vault.

I may have been on the wrong side of the DFW to witness that which you speak of.  

13 hours ago, The Icon said:

Seems to be a make or break year of sorts over there for Harrison 

I would imagine this is one of the jobs North Shore offensive coordinator Willie Gaston is waiting to come open? He's one of the most sought after assistants in Houston and I'm pretty sure the brass in Humble ISD's athletic department would do anything it could to disrupt the juggernaut down the beltway. 

• 2 weeks later...