Playoff Thoughts

The greatest time of the year is upon us, Texas HS baseball playoff time.  There has not been a lot of talk from the fans this year.  A few questions to think about:

1). Who will go the deepest this year?

2). Who will get surprised and knocked out the first round?

3). Do we have any teams locally that can make a legitimate push for Austin / Round Rock and a state title?

I think Barbers Hill is the highest ranked team we have in the area.  Orangefield has played solid ball, as has PN-G. Silsbee always makes noise come playoff time.  Evadale has quietly put together a solid season as has West Sabine, Colmesneil and Big Sandy.  BC had people wondering if they would miss the playoffs but rallied in the second half of the season - could they be peaking at the right time.  HF is in the top 25 and they always are competitive.  What about Woodville - the Eagles are solid from top to bottom - could they make some noise?  

Let’s hear what you have to say.  We should have more chatter on the baseball forum. Keep us updated on your team, your city and your kids.  Beat of luck to all the players and the coaches who have put in long hours.  Enjoy every minute because it’ll be over in a flash.

5A Region 3 is always one of the best in Texas, it is loaded with these strong teams this year. Friendswood, Kingwood Park, Magnolia, Austin McCallum, Austin Anderson, Brenham, Elgin, Pflugerville Hendrickson, Montgomery Lake Creek.

Barbers Hill, PNG, Crosby & Nederland will have a tough road to get thru the 3rd round or win this region. 

B.H. probably has the pitching & defense to make a run & PNG probably has the coaching & strongest hitting team to make a run in 5A from the setx area.    

22-4A v 21-4A, flip a coin these teams are so close together. All these teams have playoff experience and given that "what team shows up" and "on any given day" attitude, on paper I don't see one team totally dominating another. If it's a three game series I see a lot of third games. All four games should be good. Good luck. 

27 minutes ago, STiger85 said:

22-4A v 21-4A, flip a coin these teams are so close together. All these teams have playoff experience and given that "what team shows up" and "on any given day" attitude, on paper I don't see one team totally dominating another. If it's a three game series I see a lot of third games. All four games should be good. Good luck. 

That was my thoughts to. May have to catch HJ vs Bridge City at some point this weekend when I’m in town visiting family 

• 3 weeks later...

Barbers Hills, Orangefield, Woodville and Evadale remain - as does Buna (the only team I didn’t mention when I originally posted).  When the season started Buna was on fire, but then cooled down a little bit.  Man did they pick the right time to catch fire.  Best of luck to all our teams remaining in the playoffs.  Pitching is great, and it keeps you in games but you will never win a 0-0 game.  You gotta score runs so spend time working on scenarios, hit-hit and then hit again, and you gotta lay the bunt down when coach calls for it.  Enjoy every minute players AND parents!