Longhorns Leaving Field for Eyes of Texas

Hagar

Guess I’d be interested to hear what any of y’all think.  Is the reason I find this unbelievable, and would drop their scholarships because of my age?  Hey, if you don’t like The Eyes of Texas, if you find it offensive because some yahoos many years ago sang it in blackface, don’t freaking go to UT.  It’s not rocket science.  

8 hours ago, Hagar said:

Guess I’d be interested to hear what any of y’all think.  Is the reason I find this unbelievable, and would drop their scholarships because of my age?  Hey, if you don’t like The Eyes of Texas, if you find it offensive because some yahoos many years ago sang it in blackface, don’t freaking go to UT.  It’s not rocket science.  

Agree, this is political correctness run amuck...go somewhere where people will appreciate a snowflake.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 6:28 PM, BS Wildcats said:

How about Baylor?  I believe, according to one of our posters, they had a snowflake cry-in there after Trump won.

Dad, a Baptist preacher, always called Baylor - “Sodom on the Brazos.”  He’s gone now, but that always cracked me up.  The Christian principles that used to dominate the university are hard to find now days.

6 hours ago, Chester86 said:

Dad, a Baptist preacher, always called Baylor - “Sodom on the Brazos.”  He’s gone now, but that always cracked me up.  The Christian principles that used to dominate the university are hard to find now days.

My dad was a Baptist minister as well.  Had a similar attitude towards Baylor.  

As for the original post, that was from last fall and I think (hopefully) we are past that nonsense now. 

19 hours ago, TxHoops said:

My dad was a Baptist minister as well.  Had a similar attitude towards Baylor.  

As for the original post, that was from last fall and I think (hopefully) we are past that nonsense now. 

Unfortunately, they are not. The Longhorn band will have one band that will play the Eyes and the other will not. IMO I would not allow anyone in the band that was offended by the school song. Use their scholarship for someone else.

I hope the players under Sark will stay on the field. He does not seem like the type to play those games.

1 hour ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Unfortunately, they are not. The Longhorn band will have one band that will play the Eyes and the other will not. IMO I would not allow anyone in the band that was offended by the school song. Use their scholarship for someone else.

I hope the players under Sark will stay on the field. He does not seem like the type to play those games.

Agreed.  Go play in another band if you don’t like it.  One of the worst visuals I’ve seen was Sam standing by himself after a game last year with his horns up during the Eyes.  I was officially done with Herman as of that moment.  

23 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Agreed.  Go play in another band if you don’t like it.  One of the worst visuals I’ve seen was Sam standing by himself after a game last year with his horns up during the Eyes.  I was officially done with Herman as of that moment.  

I just don't get it. I know the school is quite liberal but this situation is completely ridiculous. It's the school song for crying out loud.

I agree, don't be in the band and don't attend the games if you don't like it.

31 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Yep. Herman was done after that one with the people who pay the bills. 

• 1 month later...

Had an observation I meant to post last week; draw your own conclusions.  After UT won their super-regional in baseball the team stayed out on the field, horns raised in celebration of the victory with their fans.  Is it just football team that has a problems with it?  Don’t really care for or follow basketball until March madness so I don’t know about the on-court traditions.  Just found it interesting in light of the “controversy” (heavy emphasis on air-quotes).