Officer Suspended For This ?

Hagar

12 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Yeah, but you can’t do that in your uniform. I have the right to protest. I do not have the right to protest in my police department’s uniform.

I know (figured/assumed).  Still, it was hilarious, and made a valid point.  Personally, I hope he just gets off with a hand slap.

Would be interested in your “best guess” on the outcome.  Could he be fired?

4 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I don’t find any of it political.

now media and the stupidity of Lebron has tried to make it political.

it’s more about procedure/protocol to the situation 

It doesn’t matter what you wish to call it. The police cannot make personal opinion comments in while in their department uniform. 

6 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

It doesn’t matter what you wish to call it. The police cannot make personal opinion comments in while in their department uniform. 

I understand that.

I m around LEOs on a daily basis (in uniform) and I hear personal opinion in “small talk” a lot of the time.  IMO it’s because this guy used media to share it and the fact he was spot on so it was viewed nation wide. 
I just hope it doesn’t cost him his job.

6 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I understand that.

I m around LEOs on a daily basis (in uniform) and I hear personal opinion in “small talk” a lot of the time.  IMO it’s because this guy used media to share it and the fact he was spot on so it was viewed nation wide. 
I just hope it doesn’t cost him his job.

It is absolutely because he put it out to the public in the media. Small talk can I also get you in trouble if someone records your statement and it becomes public. It is called conduct unbecoming or conduct that might shed a bad light on the police agency. Many or most police agencies (and many private companies)  have rules they say you could not have a picture on your Facebook page in your uniform. The rules also states that if you’re making political statements or opinions or anything of that nature, you cannot identify the agency that you work for. An officer has a right to free speech but he does not have a right to make his agency look bad. That is why most people in such public professions that  want to make political statements, do so under a disguised profile.

A Walmart employee has the right to his opinion also.  He still can’t wear a Walmart smock on a video and make a comment that makes Walmart look bad without facing consequences which will likely be termination. 

13 hours ago, tvc184 said:

It is absolutely because he put it out to the public in the media. Small talk can I also get you in trouble if someone records your statement and it becomes public. It is called conduct unbecoming or conduct that might shed a bad light on the police agency. Many or most police agencies (and many private companies)  have rules they say you could not have a picture on your Facebook page in your uniform. The rules also states that if you’re making political statements or opinions or anything of that nature, you cannot identify the agency that you work for. An officer has a right to free speech but he does not have a right to make his agency look bad. That is why most people in such public professions that  want to make political statements, do so under a disguised profile.

A Walmart employee has the right to his opinion also.  He still can’t wear a Walmart smock on a video and make a comment that makes Walmart look bad without facing consequences which will likely be termination. 

Not trying to be confrontational, just curious.  If to do this, he’d gotten a Security Guard uniform, and used his own car with a fake mike, would he still be subject to consequences?  I suppose the answer may depend on his Dept rules, but say it was someone in your Dept.  

2 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Just for context: If a school teacher is seen in a Facebook post drinking alcohol, that teacher can face termination...even if it appears on someone else’s post. 

Ridiculous.  I could understand if smoking a joint, but alcohol is legal.  I’d much rather they’re having a drink than teaching counter culture.

8 hours ago, Hagar said:

Not trying to be confrontational, just curious.  If to do this, he’d gotten a Security Guard uniform, and used his own car with a fake mike, would he still be subject to consequences?  I suppose the answer may depend on his Dept rules, but say it was someone in your Dept.  

It isn’t the opinion/joke/statement, it is the ability to link it to a police agency.

And yes, department rules but conduct unbecoming has a far reach.