Ridiculously Early 5AD2 '21 Playoff Prediction

AledoAlumni

regarding live tackling, my guess is that the exact opposite is true and png's stance is not that rare...from what I hear and know, most teams avoid much heavy hitting in practices as it too often had resulted in injuries that kept players out of games...this is not different from nfl teams either...go to a live practice or training camp and you will not see players hitting the ground...heck, I've actually witnessed a player get yelled at for putting a player on the ground in an nfl practice...does it lead to poorer tackling?  I certainly believe it does, but it does lead to fewer practice injuries, which I think is a huge plus...coaches just don't want players hurt in any circumstance, but losing them in practice drives them nuts.

So rest easy, png fans...your lack of tackling and hitting in practice is not that rare

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 8:31 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Everybody in the district pretty much lost all of their offensive production from last year, of the playoff teams Crosby probably took it the worst on the defensive side of the ball. Transfers are always welcome but we won't be looking for players for the next 5 or 6 years, we'll just be reloading. Crosby is going to field one of the more inexperienced teams I can remember but they have a bunch of talent on both sides of the ball and three games against Carthage, Manvel and PAM to get ready for district play. The biggest key for Crosby will be the development of some of the younger linemen. If Crosby's staff gets it figured out early then watch out, the Cougars may be Buffalo hunting for another shot at the title game. 

As for PNG, every year the talk is about the new quarterback. You absolutely need one to have a legitimate shot at a deep run but if feels like Indian fans are more concerned with passing yards than running the ball, controlling the line of scrimmage and playing defense which is how you go deep in the playoffs. Figured PNG would've seen that with the way RJ controlled games with his running ability. Defense may have 9 starters back but they'll still be at a disadvantage the way PNG plays offense. Even when Riordan had great athletes on the defensive side of the ball we struggled to keep team off the scoreboard due to the sheer number of opportunities the opposing offenses got. 

I don't agree with you often , but you are on the money with the statement in bold.

On 4/29/2021 at 3:16 PM, Razor said:

regarding live tackling, my guess is that the exact opposite is true and png's stance is not that rare...from what I hear and know, most teams avoid much heavy hitting in practices as it too often had resulted in injuries that kept players out of games...this is not different from nfl teams either...go to a live practice or training camp and you will not see players hitting the ground...heck, I've actually witnessed a player get yelled at for putting a player on the ground in an nfl practice...does it lead to poorer tackling?  I certainly believe it does, but it does lead to fewer practice injuries, which I think is a huge plus...coaches just don't want players hurt in any circumstance, but losing them in practice drives them nuts.

So rest easy, png fans...your lack of tackling and hitting in practice is not that rare

I've seen plenty of old film, and I hate to break it to you Uncle Rico's living in 1985 (1975 for PNG fans), but tackling wasn't that great back in the day. Some down right atrocious at times. Offense didn't use space like the offensives of today. More space = advantage offense. Offensive athletes are starting in that at the position because guess what, they can make the big play. Good offensive players are going to make people miss. Bad offensive players don’t get the ball. Every school at every level has guys that can run through tackles or make people miss.  

On 5/12/2021 at 11:19 AM, Pot Stirrer said:

I've seen plenty of old film, and I hate to break it to you Uncle Rico's living in 1985 (1975 for PNG fans), but tackling wasn't that great back in the day. Some down right atrocious at times. Offense didn't use space like the offensives of today. More space = advantage offense. Offensive athletes are starting in that at the position because guess what, they can make the big play. Good offensive players are going to make people miss. Bad offensive players don’t get the ball. Every school at every level has guys that can run through tackles or make people miss.  

Tackling against Stephenville was absolute garbage in PNG’s 1999 state game. 

On 5/10/2021 at 4:03 PM, Bigdog said:

I don't agree with you often , but you are on the money with the statement in bold.

PNG’s o-line is always good. Maybe one or two off years in the faircloth era. The qb always has loads of time in the pocket. It was a main piece of PNG’s comeback against Nederland.