candidates for the HF basketball Job

35 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

Yes. You have TWO pure basketball guys with head coaching experience, and you hire an assistant from Crosby with no head coaching experience? Its clear what they were after. A football guy.

It’s been that way pretty much since the beginning.....with the exception of maybe 2 past coaches

56 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

Yes. You have TWO pure basketball guys with head coaching experience, and you hire an assistant from Crosby with no head coaching experience? Its clear what they were after. A football guy.

Kind of a head scratcher here. They had 2 great basketball applicants and a great former head coach on the staff already and a young assistant the community wanted. I wonder what his other coaching duties will be? 

24 minutes ago, Bird33 said:

What position does he coach in football, Jay Bilas????

Not sure exactly, but this is 100% a football hire based off the info that I have received.  That guy did NOT want the basketball program to win the way they have, because it makes the football program look that much worse.  The AD brought in basketball guys with the help of a committee, but pushed a football guy that was found late.  Shame for those HF kids, but this is a fact.

45 minutes ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

That’s a good a hire, coming from a good program and great coach that has groomed him, congrats coach 

Gotta be clear on my point. I know nothing at all about the new coach. I do know there were some great basketball guys in the mix. I wish the kids and the coach the best.

4 hours ago, whsalum said:

What’s your opinion of the new coach? 

I don't have one, don't know him personally. From what I hear he knows his stuff and and is a solid guy, also he is coming from a good program at Crosby so that's plus. I'm sure he'll introduce himself to the players and parents as soon as he can. 

20 hours ago, JayBilas said:

Not sure exactly, but this is 100% a football hire based off the info that I have received.  That guy did NOT want the basketball program to win the way they have, because it makes the football program look that much worse.  The AD brought in basketball guys with the help of a committee, but pushed a football guy that was found late.  Shame for those HF kids, but this is a fact.

He coached middle school basketball at Crosby. His brothers are football coaches. 

I just got to the Hamshire-Fannett football preview questionnaire answers, which was submitted before Coach Rideaux took the job in Aldine, in preparation of the 2021 football season. 

When I saw a particular name in the assistant coaches section of that questionnaire, I thought of this topic, particularly given the criticism of Coach Kenebrew as a "football hire."

Curiosity got the best of me, so I went into our archives section and sought out the previews I had prepared for the 2019 and 2020 Longhorns as well as the 2019 and 2020 Crosby Cougars.  I again found that interesting name that was in the Hamshire-Fannett previews and, by happenstance, found a name absent from the Crosby previews.

Here are the Hamshire-Fannett previews:

2019: 

2020:

Here are the Crosby previews: 

2019:

2020: 

Can anyone tell me which "basketball guy" I found on Mark Waggoner's football staff at Hamshire-Fannett the last 2 seasons (and who would have been on that staff this year had he stayed at Hamshire-Fannett) and which "football guy" I did not find on Jerry Prieto's staff at Crosby?

On his coaches bio, it says he played  basketball at the college level at ETBU, I believe.  Why wouldn’t he want to coach at what got him to where he’s at?  HF is a small school and generally any coach hired does multiple sports.  They don’t have the financial support of the plants in the area to be able to afford just a sport specific coach like many of the other schools in the area so having a background in multiple sports is a must.  We have had ADs in the past that only cared about football and it was one of the reasons our other programs such as basketball suffered.  Wagner isn’t like that or Rideaux wouldn’t have been hired in the first place.  He wants all the programs to succeed.  It shows because multiple teams at HF have made the playoffs since he has been AD so to say this is a football hire isn’t true.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:36 PM, JayBilas said:

This is the absolute definition of hating. It's interesting to me, there once was a poster who frequented the basketball board by the name of DickieV. DickieV was a well known basketball coach from the SETX area who was quite vocal about his opinions on many things, but announced his identity and intention to leave the board after being hired as an assistant at a West Texas college. DickieV hasn't really been heard from since, except for the one time he popped in to criticize Dave Bliss receiving another job in college basketball after the Baylor debacle. DickieV argued that others deserved that second change rather than Bliss, and even pointed out that DickieV had been chosen as coach of the year over Bliss when they both coached in TCAL. After those comments, he vanished again.

Fast forward to now. JayBilas arrives on the board, seemingly out of the blue, with a major interest in the HF coaching position. JayBilas' sentence structure and overall disposition of his posts is almost identical to DickieV. JayBilas even displays his passion toward subject matter that DickieV was passionate about. After reading the list of finalists for the HF job that was posted here, my interest is piqued regarding these two contributors. Who knows, what's really going on. 

I'd hate to think that one of the other finalists for the job was on a public message board disparaging the finalist that was awarded the position, especially since all of the criticism is an assumption and has been proven wrong. That would be a tragedy.  

22 hours ago, 2wedge said:

This is the absolute definition of hating. It's interesting to me, there once was a poster who frequented the basketball board by the name of DickieV. DickieV was a well known basketball coach from the SETX area who was quite vocal about his opinions on many things, but announced his identity and intention to leave the board after being hired as an assistant at a West Texas college. DickieV hasn't really been heard from since, except for the one time he popped in to criticize Dave Bliss receiving another job in college basketball after the Baylor debacle. DickieV argued that others deserved that second change rather than Bliss, and even pointed out that DickieV had been chosen as coach of the year over Bliss when they both coached in TCAL. After those comments, he vanished again.

Fast forward to now. JayBilas arrives on the board, seemingly out of the blue, with a major interest in the HF coaching position. JayBilas' sentence structure and overall disposition of his posts is almost identical to DickieV. JayBilas even displays his passion toward subject matter that DickieV was passionate about. After reading the list of finalists for the HF job that was posted here, my interest is piqued regarding these two contributors. Who knows, what's really going on. 

I'd hate to think that one of the other finalists for the job was on a public message board disparaging the finalist that was awarded the position, especially since all of the criticism is an assumption and has been proven wrong. That would be a tragedy.  

I have no clue where you are going with this post, but  there is no "hate" involved, merely an opinion, which is what everyone has that posts on here from time to time. I knew a couple of the candidates for that job, as well as a few former parents of HF kids, and we have had conversations about it.  I hope that the new coach does a good job, I just heard he was football guy that only coached middle school basketball before this. I could be wrong but it is what was said.  I will never bash a coach, because he deserves a chance like anyone else to prove who he is as a coach without bias.  I thought it may have been a football hire, but again, I could be mistaken.  I have no dog in the fight, and the hire is completed, and I wish him well. Now we move on to the next topic. Isn't that how this is supposed to go?

23 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Kind of makes you wonder what the post would've looked like if the wrong one of the TWO pure basketball coaches had been hired.  What criticism would've been used in that case?  

3 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Kind of makes you wonder what the post would've looked like if the wrong one of the TWO pure basketball coaches had been hired.  What criticism would've been used in that case?  

I never criticized the COACH, I thought the reason for the hire was football driven. That's all. I could be wrong, but that was my thought based on conversation about the hire. I repeat, I could be wrong, however.  Had one of the other guys had been hired, it would have been more expected. They could have been criticized too, but I certainly had nothing bad to say about  the candidate that got the job.

30 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

I never criticized the COACH, I thought the reason for the hire was football driven. That's all. I could be wrong, but that was my thought based on conversation about the hire. I repeat, I could be wrong, however.  Had one of the other guys had been hired, it would have been more expected. They could have been criticized too, but I certainly had nothing bad to say about  the candidate that got the job.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  If you'd been hired, and I came on here saying "This hire is the sign of a football coach and AD that does NOT want the basketball program to prosper", would you consider that only a criticism directed at the AD, or would you feel like your coaching ability was being questioned as well?  

1 minute ago, bullets13 said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  If you'd been hired, and I came on here saying "This hire is the sign of a football coach and AD that does NOT want the basketball program to prosper", would you consider that only a criticism directed at the AD, or would you feel like your coaching ability was being questioned as well?  

I can see that logic, but it was not my intention to criticize the coach.