Reparations 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

5GallonBucket

2 hours ago, Big girl said:

Wow, you didnt call any of them lazy. Do you think that white people on the system are lazy? That they want to sit around and collect a free check? You cannot refute the fact that systemic racism plays a part in the plight of black America. When you spoke about poor blacks you only mentioned bad decision, laziness.. When talking about whites, you mentioned bad decisions, drug abuse,, high school drop outs, one parent households, etc. Why?

Where did he use the word lazy?

15 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Sometimes it’s bad luck, occasionally a mental defect or just a little misfortune… but it generally comes down to bad choices. I mean… those guys had to squander their “privilege” somehow. 

When I see kids that are impoverished, I usually only see one parent. When I see homeless people, I see drug/alcohol use that turned into an addiction. When I see someone who can’t earn enough to support their family, I typically see someone who didn’t finish free public schooling… when I see people who aren’t employable because of prior felonies, I recognize poor life choices that put them in that position. I hate seeing kids in bad spots, but it’s almost always the result of bad choices on the part of their parents. Got a repossession, eviction, outstanding hot checks, no savings, and now you can’t get anybody to finance a house or car to you? Once again… poor choices in almost all cases. 

I can freely admit that most of the time when “my” people are in a bind, it’s of their own doing… but your argument seems to be that when a black person finds themselves in a similar predicament, it wasn’t bad choices but rather a result of slavery, oppression, systemic racism, etc… and reparations are the solution. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a person of color or a liberal acknowledge that a black person’s actions contributed at all to the realities of their life. Not even once. 

You are conflating actions with opportunities. Bad logic.

7 hours ago, Big girl said:

Wow, you didnt call any of them lazy. Do you think that white people on the system are lazy? That they want to sit around and collect a free check? You cannot refute the fact that systemic racism plays a part in the plight of black America. When you spoke about poor blacks you only mentioned bad decision, laziness.. When talking about whites, you mentioned bad decisions, drug abuse,, high school drop outs, one parent households, etc. Why?

The issue for the majority with both races is probably laziness and lack of motivation. All because our system provides enough poverty support that they don’t have to try. Free to assisted living, free food, utility assistance, public transportation, free phones, etc. People can get by with little to no effort. Our government has created this. 

Of course there are plenty of physical, mental and hardship cases but they are probably the minority.

8 hours ago, Big girl said:

Again, where was the word lazy used in CardinalBacker’s post?  I’m waiting!  

10 hours ago, Big girl said:

I didn’t use lazy for either group because I’m trying hard not to use insulting terms…. But yes, laziness is often a reason why a person of any color would be on benefits indefinitely. 

You misunderstood my post. The first few were reasons why a person might find themself on welfare through no real fault of their own.  The rest were examples of bad decisions that cause a lot of people end up in bad spots…. I didn’t attribute any of those conditions or decisions to any race… they hold true for everybody. 

6 hours ago, UT alum said:

You are conflating actions with opportunities. Bad logic.

No, it’s realistic. You say that oppression and systemic racism (lack of opportunities) are the only problems worth discussing that face the black community in 2022. 

But you also acknowledge that there are more white people on welfare than there are blacks. 

The question remains… why are there so many poor white people? Is it POSSIBLE that the same behaviors exhibited by poor whites that keep them in poverty also be the major cause of black poverty, especially considering that the behaviors are the exact same across the poor of both races?

Why do immigrants (even black ones from around the world) seem immune to this woeful racism you decry? Why does the system only affect American blacks, but not Asians, Cubans, Middle Easterners, Mexicans, etc…. All of whom arrive penniless and thrive in short order, yet the black community still remains “victimized?”

15 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

No, it’s realistic. You say that oppression and systemic racism (lack of opportunities) are the only problems worth discussing that face the black community in 2022. 

But you also acknowledge that there are more white people on welfare than there are blacks. 

The question remains… why are there so many poor white people? Is it POSSIBLE that the same behaviors exhibited by poor whites that keep them in poverty also be the major cause of black poverty, especially considering that the behaviors are the exact same across the poor of both races?

Why do immigrants (even black ones from around the world) seem immune to this woeful racism you decry? Why does the system only affect American blacks, but not Asians, Cubans, Middle Easterners, Mexicans, etc…. All of whom arrive penniless and thrive in short order, yet the black community still remains “victimized?”

They come from (usually)a worse off environment/economy to the US where there is endless opportunities and apply themselves.

they more than likely endured actual oppression in their own country as well they didn’t receive handouts.

On 12/31/2022 at 9:01 PM, CardinalBacker said:

So, you haven’t seen any of the footage or read any of the reporting of the dramatic uptick in violence against Asians since he I shall not name blamed them for Covid?  No history ever taught you about the shameful treatment of the Chinese railroad workers in the 19th century?  One other thing, none of the ethnicities you mention save African Americans ever been seen as less than 100% human by our Constitution.

1 hour ago, UT alum said:

So, you haven’t seen any of the footage or read any of the reporting of the dramatic uptick in violence against Asians since he I shall not name blamed them for Covid?  No history ever taught you about the shameful treatment of the Chinese railroad workers in the 19th century?  One other thing, none of the ethnicities you mention save African Americans ever been seen as less than 100% human by our Constitution.

You need to check a little deeper…. Most of those violent Anti-Asian hate crimes are being committed by Black people… somehow the Orange managed to get black people to attack Asians over COVID? Not hardly. It’s the dirty secret that the media is keeping quiet, but if you get into the data, it’s there. Same with the Anti-semitism that’s growing today… the people who keep crossing lines verbally aren’t skinheads this time around. 

Every person who has emigrated here arrived with less than 100% of the rights afforded under our constitution initially. 

You realize that black men got the right to vote long before women of any color, right? 1870 for black men, 1920 for women. Different groups of people have been done wrong since time immortal… we don’t have a lock on bad decisions here in the US… and black people weren’t the only recipients… they’re just the only ones that still expect reparations. 

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You need to check a little deeper…. Most of those violent Anti-Asian hate crimes are being committed by Black people… somehow the Orange managed to get black people to attack Asians over COVID? Not hardly. It’s the dirty secret that the media is keeping quiet, but if you get into the data, it’s there. Same with the Anti-semitism that’s growing today… the people who keep crossing lines verbally aren’t skinheads this time around. 

Every person who has emigrated here arrived with less than 100% of the rights afforded under our constitution initially. 

You realize that black men got the right to vote long before women of any color, right? 1870 for black men, 1920 for women. Different groups of people have been done wrong since time immortal… we don’t have a lock on bad decisions here in the US… and black people weren’t the only recipients… they’re just the only ones that still expect reparations. 

Blacks were not able to vote in 1870 because of poll taxes.

5 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Blacks were not able to vote in 1870 because of poll taxes.

That’s not true. POOR people of all races couldn’t vote… not just blacks. 

In fact, free black men were able to vote before the civil war… just not slaves. 

Everybody knows that the 3/5th compromise is what got all of the colonies to Unite. The Non-slave owning states agreed to let the slave owning states count their slaves as 3/5ths of a person for representation and federal funding purposes. Some in the north (incorrectly, obviously) thought that the idea of freeing slaves (and thereby increasing the former slaveholding states census number by an amount of 2/5ths per slave) would help encourage those states to ban slavery in short order. 

• 1 month later...

This is the hidden content, please

From the article:

San Francisco's panel on reparations explained on Tuesday how it came to its recent recommendation that qualifying Black residents should receive $5 million each.

The city's African American Reparations Advisory Committee unveiled its recommendation in January, arguing that the city owed compensation to Black residents for decades of discrimination. The committee's chair, consultant Eric McDonnell, now says the $5 million number came as a result of a "journey" rather than a "math formula."

"There wasn’t a math formula," McDonnell told The Washington Post. "It was a journey for the committee towards what could represent a significant enough investment in families to put them on this path to economic well-being, growth and vitality that chattel slavery and all the policies that flowed from it destroyed."

While slavery was never legal in San Francisco, reparations activists say the city imposed decades of racist policies that economically harmed Black residents.