Daunte Wright shot dead by officer - she thought she was using a taser

SmashMouth

• SmashMouth changed the title to Daunte Wright shot dead by officer - she thought she was using a taser
8 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

This is the hidden content, please

Kind of remarkable. She was a 25+ year veteran. 

I agree.  When I first heard about it, I figured she was a relative newbie.  But as I told someone else, in the heat of the moment, shot happens.  

Folks like to talk about root cause.   If you look back at virtually every national incident of an officer killing a black person, they’re invariably not obeying the Police.  Guess that’s the root cause.

A criminal made an incredibly stupid decision, and an officer made an incredibly stupid mistake.  Had Wright simply followed orders none of this would've happened, but the officer still screwed up on a monumental scale.  One of the points I used to try to make when we could still have conversations about these things without being called racist anytime you side with the police is this: when you resist arrest or fight the police, you put them in a  situation where they're more likely to have to make a split decision, and thus in a situation where they're more likely to make a mistake.  It's a vicious cycle, honestly.  People in the black community have seen enough legitimately bad acts against them from law enforcement to have a reasonable fear and distrust of police.  But that fear and distrust leads young black men to do moronic things when they encounter police, which leads to many more police shootings.  This case is a perfect example.  Had this kid cooperated, the female cop would've never mistakenly pulled her gun, thinking it was her tazer.  If the kid hadn't tried to drive off, she would not have pulled the trigger, thinking she was tasing him, while instead shooting him.  It's not Wright's fault that the officer made a huge mistake, but his actions led to her being put in the position to make the mistake.  

38 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

A criminal made an incredibly stupid decision, and an officer made an incredibly stupid mistake.  Had Wright simply followed orders none of this would've happened, but the officer still screwed up on a monumental scale.  One of the points I used to try to make when we could still have conversations about these things without being called racist anytime you side with the police is this: when you resist arrest or fight the police, you put them in a  situation where they're more likely to have to make a split decision, and thus in a situation where they're more likely to make a mistake.  It's a vicious cycle, honestly.  People in the black community have seen enough legitimately bad acts against them from law enforcement to have a reasonable fear and distrust of police.  But that fear and distrust leads young black men to do moronic things when they encounter police, which leads to many more police shootings.  This case is a perfect example.  Had this kid cooperated, the female cop would've never mistakenly pulled her gun, thinking it was her tazer.  If the kid hadn't tried to drive off, she would not have pulled the trigger, thinking she was tasing him, while instead shooting him.  It's not Wright's fault that the officer made a huge mistake, but his actions led to her being put in the position to make the mistake.  

Yeah, I wasn’t even speaking on a racial level. I was just amazed that a seasoned cop made such a huge life changing and life ending decision. We are all human, I know. But no matter how we got there, she killed him dead as a wedge. I bet that lady feels as bad as she ever will. 

4 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Yeah, I wasn’t even speaking on a racial level. I was just amazed that a seasoned cop made such a huge life changing and life ending decision. We are all human, I know. But no matter how we got there, she killed him dead as a wedge. I bet that lady feels as bad as she ever will. 

Yep, an she just resigned along with the Police Chief. Sure there was pressure from above. Sad situation. Police have a incredibly difficult job. 

51 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Absolutely agree.  The thing about it is when most people screw up at their job, there aren't any consequences.  The person at Sonic put mustard on my burger, they give me a new burger.  The cashier accidently rang my new shoes up twice, she can take one of them off the receipt.  There aren't any do-overs when you fire a bullet, whether you're justified or not, or if it was a complete accident as it was in this case.  

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

This has been posted before, but not in quite a while.  A prominent demonstrator against Police shootings, was allowed (ask?) to go thru a shoot or don’t shoot scenario.   Very interesting.

Compliance is everything when interacting with Police. People do not submit to authority like they use too. Break down of the family structure is a huge factor. 

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Why wouldn't you resist if everybody from the Reverend to the Mayor to your teacher to you parents taught you that the system is racist?

I want disagree with that statement but regardless of your race if your stupid enough to resist arrest then you must know your about to be put down by force an sometimes it’s deadly. 

It’s just idiotic. If you’re in a car and think about fleeing, it’s like “get arrested or run... worst case scenario I get arrested if they catch me, right?” Except instead you catch a felony for fleeing and even worse if somebody gets hurt. 
The same mindset comes along with resisting. “Maybe I get away, but I was going to jail anyways. What do I have to lose.” There are cops that deserve to be punched... but understand that the consequences that come from fighting don’t just end with getting arrested. You might get your butt whipped. You might get in serious trouble if you actually injure the cop. Heck, he or she might shoot you, accidentally or not. There’s a mindset that goes “sure, I was breaking the law, but that cop wasn’t supposed to x,y, or z me... I know the rules.” Don’t put your life in somebody else’s hands by depending on their good judgement to save your life. It’s just dumb. 

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

It’s just idiotic. If you’re in a car and think about fleeing, it’s like “get arrested or run... worst case scenario I get arrested if they catch me, right?” Except instead you catch a felony for fleeing and even worse if somebody gets hurt. 
The same mindset comes along with resisting. “Maybe I get away, but I was going to jail anyways. What do I have to lose.” There are cops that deserve to be punched... but understand that the consequences that come from fighting don’t just end with getting arrested. You might get your butt whipped. You might get in serious trouble if you actually injure the cop. Heck, he or she might shoot you, accidentally or not. There’s a mindset that goes “sure, I was breaking the law, but that cop wasn’t supposed to x,y, or z me... I know the rules.” Don’t put your life in somebody else’s hands by depending on their good judgement to save your life. It’s just dumb. 

... And the problem is that they don’t know the law or the rules. If the police used the lawful use of force that they are authorized to use every day, many more people would be injured or killed.

I am fairly certain that most police officers who put in a 25 or 30 year career could have lawfully shot more than one person. I can think of three or four times at least that I could have shot someone and would have been cleared of any wrongdoing. 

I could name plenty of laws that people routinely say that  do not exist or misunderstand. All you have to do is watch YouTube for some of the most bogus legal advice available.

On 4/13/2021 at 3:45 PM, Realville said:

Yep, an she just resigned along with the Police Chief. Sure there was pressure from above. Sad situation. Police have a incredibly difficult job. 

I know it is but one instance as an example but Bullets13 was doing a ride along with me on patrol one day. We went to a loud disturbance that had happened more than once and the neighbors were complaining. Due to the size of the disturbance/crowd and the repeated nature of the call, 5-6 officers showed up including me.

We did everything we could to peaceably quiet things down and try to do so without making any arrests. The officers were going to write one man a citation for disorderly conduct (disturbing the peace) and going to let the rest of them go. That’s it, please sign this citation and we are out of here. Nope, it broke out into a fight, resisting arrest and officers being assaulted. I was hit several times by a female who was trying to keep me from arresting her father who ran into the garage, possibly to grab a weapon. I just shove her away and did not arrest her but she could have faced time in jail or possibly even prison.

Then as we thought we had things calmed down I believe with only one arrest after that big fight and disturbance, it started again with claims of racism by the police. One guy then charged at the officers who were trying to leave when he wanted to confront them. He was taken to the ground and arrested.  

That brought out more verbal claims of racism by the police.

As soon as I got back in the car Bullets13 talked about how the police caused none of that and I don’t want to speak for him but he probably felt the police handled it fairly well considering we were being threatened, had people resist arrest, fleeing from arrests and in a couple of cases like me, assaulted... yet we were the bad guys. I can assure you that we could have used a lot more force lawfully and taken a lot a lot more people to jail.

I know it is been one situation and it does not exonerate officers that make stupid mistakes. These kinds of things happen every day however because people think they know the law when they do not or they feel that once they are in a group they will not be held accountable with the relative safety of numbers.