Shooting in Bryan

Hagar

7 hours ago, baddog said:

Apples to lawnmowers? So, if this same dead woman had breached (terminology has no effect on me) the D.C. Wal Mart she would have survived, with no shots even being fired. Same mayor. 
I don’t care much for the officer’s name being revealed. 

Because terminology matters.... in your first post you question why a breach of one location authorizes deadly force without consequences and a breach of another location does not even have the use of force to just stop it.

Force could absolutely be used to stop a theft such as at Walmart during looting but that is usually a local politicians call, not the police. That is where a mayor might call the police chief and say pull the police out. Also what do you call the breach of a store it’s just a theft. It’s no different than shoplifting even though it was several people. Entry into someplace like the capital building is probably listed as a burglary and deadly force could be used to stop a burglary in progress. There is also the direct threat to the officers and the people are trying to protect, again giving the authority to use deadly force.

So misdemeanor theft as opposed to a felony burglary which may also entail the threat of force against the defenders. It sure is not apples and oranges. They are both crimes to be sure but so is not  using your turn signal to change lanes in a car.

8 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Because terminology matters.... in your first post you question why a breach of one location authorizes deadly force without consequences and a breach of another location does not even have the use of force to just stop it.

Force could absolutely be used to stop a theft such as at Walmart during looting but that is usually a local politicians call, not the police. That is where a mayor might call the police chief and say pull the police out. Also what do you call the breach of a store it’s just a theft. It’s no different than shoplifting even though it was several people. Entry into someplace like the capital building is probably listed as a burglary and deadly force could be used to stop a burglary in progress. There is also the direct threat to the officers and the people are trying to protect, again giving the authority to use deadly force.

So misdemeanor theft as opposed to a felony burglary which may also entail the threat of force against the defenders. It sure is not apples and oranges. They are both crimes to be sure but so is not  using your turn signal to change lanes in a car.

Interesting. Now terminology does have some meaning. Entering a capitol building is burglary and deadly force can be used, whereas theft and looting at Wal Mart is misdemeanor theft and not burglary? Of course it is burglary and deadly force should be used defending it. This is the point I was trying to make.

15 hours ago, baddog said:

Interesting. Now terminology does have some meaning. Entering a capitol building is burglary and deadly force can be used, whereas theft and looting at Wal Mart is misdemeanor theft and not burglary? Of course it is burglary and deadly force should be used defending it. This is the point I was trying to make.

It may or may not be burglary. Depending on location and conditions, for example a 24 hour Walmart it would almost never be burglary. 

There are likely no police inside the Walmart to use deadly force even if it was lawful.

You were asking a question how about a place where police were protecting themselves and other people to another location where they were likely no police at all whether or not deadly force would be justified.

And the terminology (legal definitions) and laws absolutely matters. In Texas if it is the nighttime, you could possibly use deadly force to protect property only and in other state is almost never legal. I 

2 hours ago, baddog said:

I used Wal Mart as an example. If they smash the windows and kick down the door, would this not tell me they are not open for business? During the LA riots, there was video of an Asian man shooting looters in his business and he was open for business. 

A perfect example. Yes the Koreans were noted in the LA/Rodney King riots for defending their property with firearms.  Some states have a must retreat law and others have stand your ground.  Also (again location laws matter) like in Texas you can’t use deadly force for theft in the daytime you can at any time to stop arson. In LA where they were burning businesses it might have been murder to protect from theft but lawful defense to stop arson.

I see on almost every forum that I read where every time a crime is discussed about the penalty received, someone will almost always ask, why did this case get that penalty when that case got a different one.  Then they give an example of a different crime in a different jurisdiction and with different provable evidence..... many times not even in the same state... and except the same answer or it is a conspiracy, a cover up, racism or whatever.  

On 4/9/2021 at 9:39 AM, Realville said:

Speaking of shootings. Does anyone know why the name of the Capitol police officer that shot an killed Ashley Babbitt on the 6th January has still not been released? Maybe his name was released an I just missed it which is possible.

This is the hidden content, please

Still doesn't identify the officer, but has some info.

33 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Still doesn't identify the officer, but has some info.

I saw something the other day that said this officer may be the one who shot Ashley Babbitt but I don’t know how reliable the source is.