Alvin Brooks named Head Men's Basketball Coach at Lamar!!

JayBilas

41 minutes ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

Not impressed with this hire!! Should have hired a young and upcoming assistant. 

That is quite possibly the DUMBEST statement I've seen on here in quite a while.  First of all, Lamar was in dire need of a figure that could attract top notch talent AND have the experience to direct the program to greater heights.  This was actually the PERFECT hire! Wait...were you wanting Lamar to hire a WHITE, young, assistant? Yeah. That's probably it.  When will you people learn? SMH

2 hours ago, JayBilas said:

That is quite possibly the DUMBEST statement I've seen on here in quite a while.  First of all, Lamar was in dire need of a figure that could attract top notch talent AND have the experience to direct the program to greater heights.  This was actually the PERFECT hire! Wait...were you wanting Lamar to hire a WHITE, young, assistant? Yeah. That's probably it.  When will you people learn? SMH

I wanted Lamar to hire tang, Johnson, or maligi. 

54-84 isn’t to hot!!! 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Like i said on Facebook: good hire and i was pleasantly surprised at LU making it.

Headed in the right direction. Gotta recruit heavily now. 

How is it a good hire when the guy is 30 games below .500 as a head coach, doesn’t make sense to me how people say it’s a good hire. Just because you were a great basketball player doesn’t make you a great head coach. 

50 minutes ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

How is it a good hire when the guy is 30 games below .500 as a head coach, doesn’t make sense to me how people say it’s a good hire. Just because you were a great basketball player doesn’t make you a great head coach. 

You entitled to your opinion. If I were you I'd call Lamar and file a complaint. 

If you were going to fire the most successful Lamar coach since Tubbs and Foster, Brooks is as good as it gets imo to replace Tic.  He is well liked and respected and can go out and get some dudes to replace the ones we lost.  At least one of those mentioned ITT as a viable alternative would have been disastrous.  

I'm a UH alum and fan of Alvin Brooks.  He is a great person.  I have met him a few times at UH alumni functions.  He was a gentleman.  He had a positive attitude about UH men's basketball when we were a struggling program, fighting to get back to some type of relevance.  He is a man's man.  He will run a clean program, make his kids go to class and get the academic help they might need, and he is not afraid to coach hard.  He will preach defense...on the ball defense...in the passing lanes defense...defense, defense, defense.  If you do not play defense, then you will not play.  He gets it.  Shooting and offense will come and go, but defense and rebounding travels.  If you have an off night, you can still play outstanding defense, rebound, and play with great effort.  If not, then grab some bench.  I was not a fan of Lamar firing Tic Price.  He is another coach that is not afraid to coach a kid hard and hold kids accountable for playing with great effort on both ends of the court.  I like those types of coaches.  Alvin Brooks can recruit.  Big recruiter at UH.  He will find PGs and wing players that can be developed if they "buy-in" to his program...defense, rebounding, and play 100 mph for as long as you can.  Great hire, Lamar.  Go Coach Brooks!  Good luck Coach Brooks.  We will miss you at Houston.  Should Lamar University do you wrong (hope not), come back to Houston!  I look forward to seeing UH and Lamar play in Houston and Beaumont.  Coach Sampson and Coach Brooks, make that call and get the games on the schedule.

Peace.

One more thing...do not let his record at UH grab the headlines...when he was HC at UH, we did not have a strong administration in the big building or in the athletic department.  He did not have the resources that Coach Sampson has now.  We have the best Chancellor/President ever at UH, Dr. Renu Khator, and the AD, Chris Pezman is a top-notch talent.  It is a matter of time before Pez moves to a Top-10 program ala UT, OU, OSU, ND, or USC.  Pez is bringing in donors, exposure, and $$$$ like UH has not seen since the glory days of the SWC during the late seventies and eighties.  I would throw out AB's won/loss record at UH.  He was fighting with one hand tied behind his back and wearing a blindfold.  Not his fault.

Peace.

Congratulations Coach Brooks!

Guys, I don't care if he is purple, orange, green!!

I want a winner that runs a good clean program. It's not like we are in the toughest conference in the country.

The race card has no place on this board in my opinion. This is what is wrong with our country. 

Let's prove them all wrong and be UNITED!

7 hours ago, 1989NDN said:

I'm a UH alum and fan of Alvin Brooks.  He is a great person.  I have met him a few times at UH alumni functions.  He was a gentleman.  He had a positive attitude about UH men's basketball when we were a struggling program, fighting to get back to some type of relevance.  He is a man's man.  He will run a clean program, make his kids go to class and get the academic help they might need, and he is not afraid to coach hard.  He will preach defense...on the ball defense...in the passing lanes defense...defense, defense, defense.  If you do not play defense, then you will not play.  He gets it.  Shooting and offense will come and go, but defense and rebounding travels.  If you have an off night, you can still play outstanding defense, rebound, and play with great effort.  If not, then grab some bench.  I was not a fan of Lamar firing Tic Price.  He is another coach that is not afraid to coach a kid hard and hold kids accountable for playing with great effort on both ends of the court.  I like those types of coaches.  Alvin Brooks can recruit.  Big recruiter at UH.  He will find PGs and wing players that can be developed if they "buy-in" to his program...defense, rebounding, and play 100 mph for as long as you can.  Great hire, Lamar.  Go Coach Brooks!  Good luck Coach Brooks.  We will miss you at Houston.  Should Lamar University do you wrong (hope not), come back to Houston!  I look forward to seeing UH and Lamar play in Houston and Beaumont.  Coach Sampson and Coach Brooks, make that call and get the games on the schedule.

Peace.

Great post. 

I went to a few Lamar U games.  I went to see them play SW Louisiana.  SW got busted for cheating so bad

they changed the name of the school.  They had a big build up for the shooting guard they had named Dwight Bo Lamar.  Dude got off the bus shooting.  The pistol Pete Maravich aura was still very prevalent in La.  In that game Bo shot so much from long range, and missing, his team mates stopped passing him the ball.  They didn't have the three point line then, so there was no reason to take those shots.   That kind of shooting led to the 3 line so it served a purpose.

I went to another game against Centenary.   The draw was Centenary's 7'1" center named Robert Parish.  He went on to have a pretty good NBA career, to say the least.

21 hours ago, lsutigers20230 said:

adams to Lamar!!! Huge 

Really huge.  

So as not to get it twisted, he would have been at Lamar without the coaching change too.  But the fact that Brooks kept him on course (and not going to that school in Nac, no offense @no-look) is huge.  Replacing one of the biggest recruits Lamar has gotten in awhile (Harrison) with another (Adams) is vital going into the new conference.  Not to mention we desperately need Jordyn’s scoring (along with all the other things he does so well). 

6 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Really huge.  

So as not to get it twisted, he would have been at Lamar without the coaching change too.  But the fact that Brooks kept him on course (and not going to that school in Nac, no offense @no-look) is huge.  Replacing one of the biggest recruits Lamar has gotten in awhile (Harrison) with another (Adams) is vital going into the new conference.  Not to mention we desperately need Jordyn’s scoring (along with all the other things he does so well). 

Curious to see who Lamar puts around Adams. Could be a chance for a really solid team.  That school in Nac missed on Adams and Flagg who went to Sam Houston. Should be a lot of new looks this year 

16 hours ago, Kountzer said:

I went to a few Lamar U games.  I went to see them play SW Louisiana.  SW got busted for cheating so bad

they changed the name of the school.  They had a big build up for the shooting guard they had named Dwight Bo Lamar.  Dude got off the bus shooting.  The pistol Pete Maravich aura was still very prevalent in La.  In that game Bo shot so much from long range, and missing, his team mates stopped passing him the ball.  They didn't have the three point line then, so there was no reason to take those shots.   That kind of shooting led to the 3 line so it served a purpose.

I went to another game against Centenary.   The draw was Centenary's 7'1" center named Robert Parish.  He went on to have a pretty good NBA career, to say the least.

One of my good friends was Robert Parishes back up. He can tell some stories. 

49 minutes ago, no-look said:

Curious to see who Lamar puts around Adams. Could be a chance for a really solid team.  That school in Nac missed on Adams and Flagg who went to Sam Houston. Should be a lot of new looks this year 

Yeah Savion is a nice replacement for Nutall who will be at SMU next year.  The old Southland teams have made some nice additions heading into the new conference.  Those wondering the benefit of joining the WAC - recruiting is one of them. 

10 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Yeah Savion is a nice replacement for Nutall who will be at SMU next year.  The old Southland teams have made some nice additions heading into the new conference.  Those wondering the benefit of joining the WAC - recruiting is one of them. 

True. The WAC has better facilities and a larger fan base which will make the games more exciting... can’t figure the Savion Flagg thing out, surely he had better offers?