What’s The Formula?

55 minutes ago, no-look said:

I see where the Nazareth girls are back at state. 30 appearances, 25 titles and 5 straight... and the boys have lots of championships to add. If you could bottle that it would be a best seller. 

I think Argyle is going to start stringing those kind of numbers 

I think its just program and leadership consistency over the years. Then it just becomes an expectation to achieve at that level.  The only thing in SE Texas on the boys side that was even remotely close to that was Port Arthur Lincoln. It was always state or bust. That can be a double edge sword however, but it establishes an expectation of excellence for the kids and coaches. 

1 hour ago, JayBilas said:

I think its just program and leadership consistency over the years. Then it just becomes an expectation to achieve at that level.  The only thing in SE Texas on the boys side that was even remotely close to that was Port Arthur Lincoln. It was always state or bust. That can be a double edge sword however, but it establishes an expectation of excellence for the kids and coaches. 

With all that......sometimes what region your in helps

Those good small schools will definitely draw players in from the other small towns around them.  But it also comes from a whole program that buys in from elementary school on up.  I guarantee those kids in that town grow up shooting baskets and playing one on one hoping to play for the high school one day.  It also helps that Dallas and Houston ISD have yet to decide that winning a 1A basketball championship is prestigious enough.  Once they do we'll start getting Nazareth vs. Dallas or Houston (insert new school name) in the 1A final every year.  

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

Don't bet on it 

I was more talking about overall athletic success than just hoops. I think they have started to siphon the athletes out of Dallas. They won state in football this year with one of the best clubs that I’ve seen in 4A. A couple years ago they had 10 baseball guys that had D1 scholarships. That’s unheard of in that size school for a bench player to have a D1 scholarship. I know they aren’t going to be that dominant in basketball but they have something going on up there. 

2 hours ago, whsalum said:

I was more talking about overall athletic success than just hoops. I think they have started to siphon the athletes out of Dallas. They won state in football this year with one of the best clubs that I’ve seen in 4A. A couple years ago they had 10 baseball guys that had D1 scholarships. That’s unheard of in that size school for a bench player to have a D1 scholarship. I know they aren’t going to be that dominant in basketball but they have something going on up there. 

What they have is a great school district, a nice community, and a commitment to all athletics from the school board down.  But the biggest draw for them I think is location.  For families in the Fort Worth and Denton area that are looking for a smaller/suburban setting there isn’t a better choice right now. The growth going north of Fort Worth up I35 towards Denton is absurd.  And Argyle is the benefactor.  They are basically Southlake Carroll 25 years ago.  
It also helps they probably occasionally get a transfer or two from Southlake, Keller, Flower Mound or Northwest ISD.

I don’t expect Argyle to stay 4A much longer. 

1 hour ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

Reason you don’t think they can do it in basketball? 5 state tournament appearances since 2003. Not many schools can say that.

I agree, not many.

Silsbee is one of the few. State appearances since 2008:

2008, 2010, 2016, 2017, 2018

Regional final appearances since 2005:

05, 07, 08, 10, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21

Regional tourney appearances since 2005:

05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21