4A State Championship Predictions... HJ vs. Canyon

Canyon is really good, but they haven't been quite as convincing the last couple of rounds, barely squeaking by some good (but not great) teams.  They're a deliberate team like China Spring, but considerably better.  The good news is HJ played pretty poorly and were able to get by China Spring.  If either one of these teams plays poorly the other should win.  They're pretty evenly matched, with two completely different styles.  If HJ can play their game and dictate the pace to some degree I expect them to win fairly comfortably (9-12 points).  If Canyon controls the pace I can see them winning a close game (2-6 points).  I'll predict something in the middle of that.  HJ 66, Canyon 59. 

4 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Canyon is really good, but they haven't been quite as convincing the last couple of rounds, barely squeaking by some good (but not great) teams.  They're a deliberate team like China Spring, but considerably better.  The good news is HJ played pretty poorly and were able to get by China Spring.  If either one of these teams plays poorly the other should win.  They're pretty evenly matched, with two completely different styles.  If HJ can play their game and dictate the pace to some degree I expect them to win fairly comfortably (9-12 points).  If Canyon controls the pace I can see them winning a close game (2-6 points).  I'll predict something in the middle of that.  HJ 66, Canyon 59. 

I sometimes sit here thinking about writing up an analysis. But I come across yours and it says exactly what I am thinking anyways. Or, yours is just so good it is easy to agree with! lol

HJ 65-52

HJ’s achilles is foul trouble. If Beavers, Jackson and Sneed start the 4th qtr with 3 or less fouls they win easy! If any two of these start the fourth qtr with 4 fouls it will be tough to win. They need Beavers on the floor controlling boards and scoring on offensive rebounds, Sneed must be able to attack the rim and play at a high speed, Jackson needs to be able to attack the rim, hit some mid ranges while controlling the pace of the game. Also Henry needs to shoot the three ball, if she hits at least three  of them HJ should be in the drivers seat.

2 hours ago, OneChance said:

HJ’s achilles is foul trouble. If Beavers, Jackson and Sneed start the 4th qtr with 3 or less fouls they win easy! If any two of these start the fourth qtr with 4 fouls it will be tough to win. They need Beavers on the floor controlling boards and scoring on offensive rebounds, Sneed must be able to attack the rim and play at a high speed, Jackson needs to be able to attack the rim, hit some mid ranges while controlling the pace of the game. Also Henry needs to shoot the three ball, if she hits at least three  of them HJ should be in the drivers seat.

I definitely worry about the fouls.  Being a state final i wouldn’t be surprised if the game is called tight, and canyon will handle the ball better than anyone they’ve faced this year with the exception of possibly summer creek.  They’re going to have to be careful with their press.  

14 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I definitely worry about the fouls.  Being a state final i wouldn’t be surprised if the game is called tight, and canyon will handle the ball better than anyone they’ve faced this year with the exception of possibly summer creek.  They’re going to have to be careful with their press.  

The best player on the court will be advantage HJ, just needs to be on the floor for as close to 32 minutes as possible.

If you haven’t seen the program for the state tournament, check it out, it’s pretty cool: 

This is the hidden content, please

looking through it I saw HJ and Canyon have matched-up before in the Championship game, 1989, HJ defeats Canyon 46-44 in double OT. 
What a game that must have been!

I’m all for good, back and forth games, but I would really be thrilled with HJ dropping the hammer on this one. 

Cut the Net, Ladies!

HJ 62

Canyon 50

16 hours ago, drewlsu said:

If you haven’t seen the program for the state tournament, check it out, it’s pretty cool: 

This is the hidden content, please

looking through it I saw HJ and Canyon have matched-up before in the Championship game, 1989, HJ defeats Canyon 46-44 in double OT. 
What a game that must have been!

I’m all for good, back and forth games, but I would really be thrilled with HJ dropping the hammer on this one. 

Cut the Net, Ladies!

HJ 62

Canyon 50

Thanks for sharing 

I remember coach Vaughn. In his later years he was at hf