PNG gets new DC

Coach85

15 hours ago, AshlyKBMT said:

King was the secondary coach this year at PNG. Before he was head coach at Liberty-Elyau he was defensive coordinator at Richland High School in North Richland Hills. 

Someone can correct me, but it seems to me the secondary was "ok" last year. Our biggest problems were in first-level tackling. 

things will be the  same.  Top 11 on Offence  everyone else, put them where you want.  another 600yd per game defense.  Of course, as all coaches can do nowadays 'BUT WE MADE THE PLAYOFFS" 4th place with probably losing record.  that's the problem today - we need only one WINNER and ONE chicken dinner.  PNG coaches have been on record that the MC madness is just another game.  Total BS.  

I assume - I KNOW _others are aware of the recent conversations, emails, training, etc...

Out of town alum...I am not aware of the recent conversations, emails, training, etc....  Do tell.

One difference.  The PN-G coaching staff does not treat MCM as just another game.  Winning the last three in a row and four out of the last five, they know full well that it is not just another game.  Usually, the coach that comes up short in that game says, "It is just another game."  What else can be said?  The coach has to say something to get the kids refocused and back on track.  The winning coach celebrates, the losing coach says, it's just another game.  Ned fans and PN-G fans get the coach speak.  It's understandable given the magnitude of the game each year.

Go Indians.  Peace.

On 3/22/2021 at 10:14 PM, AshlyKBMT said:

King was the secondary coach this year at PNG. Before he was head coach at Liberty-Elyau he was defensive coordinator at Richland High School in North Richland Hills. 

I heard that King coordinated the defense for the FB Marshall playoff game. The defense exceeded expectations in that game.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:22 AM, Whoa said:

KIng  from North Texas area..On that note is PNG the only school paying a Boys AD/head FB coach and girls AD that coaches golf.  

That's a LOT of $$$

Goose Creek has a district AD and Asst AD. Each high school has two campus AD's that are no longer tied to male or female sports.

22 hours ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Goose Creek has a district AD and Asst AD. Each high school has two campus AD's that are no longer tied to male or female sports.

I feel certain your are mistaken.  I know Lee Martinez AD and Greg Smith asst. AD  They have a coordinator at each campus (3) to do paperwork i.e. TRs, substitutes, UIL stuff, etc...  NOT like PNG with 2 full pay ADs - boys and girls 

PA, NEd, WOS, etc... None have 2 ADs at 1 campus

6 hours ago, Whoa said:

I feel certain your are mistaken.  I know Lee Martinez AD and Greg Smith asst. AD  They have a coordinator at each campus (3) to do paperwork i.e. TRs, substitutes, UIL stuff, etc...  NOT like PNG with 2 full pay ADs - boys and girls 

You can parse words,  but each high school campus has two coordinators/ADs. They do more than just push paper on campus.

8 hours ago, Whoa said:

Woodville does. Ty Robinson, AD; Troy Carrell, Girls AD

Nothing is going to change unless they move away from base 3-4 defense, by all means keep few plays in that formation,  but it doesn’t fit the kids png puts out.  Some kind of hybrid 4-3 would suit them better,  or I would go to like a 4-2-5 scheme with that 5th db being like a s/lb hybrid. Where he plays more of a lb on more run oriented teams or s for extra coverage on like spread teams that tends to pass more.  Also playing players both ways is not the answer. Playing a couple players both ways in certain situations is good but not the answer to improving a defense 

18 hours ago, Davidp0403 said:

Nothing is going to change unless they move away from base 3-4 defense, by all means keep few plays in that formation,  but it doesn’t fit the kids png puts out.  Some kind of hybrid 4-3 would suit them better,  or I would go to like a 4-2-5 scheme with that 5th db being like a s/lb hybrid. Where he plays more of a lb on more run oriented teams or s for extra coverage on like spread teams that tends to pass more.  Also playing players both ways is not the answer. Playing a couple players both ways in certain situations is good but not the answer to improving a defense 

They’re moving to 4-3

On 3/25/2021 at 5:39 PM, Peppermint Patty said:

You can parse words,  but each high school campus has two coordinators/ADs. They do more than just push paper on campus.

There is a big difference between being an AD and an AC which is what GCCISD has at their campuses. An AD runs the entire show and has an administrative title. An AC is just pretty much a coach and has limited decision making power on campus.

You can listen to Eric Peevy’s interview and how he describes “just being a football coach” at Westbrook(AC) vs being the AD/HFC at LCM where he can oversee “all sports”. Same reason Westeberg left Allen to be an AD at Barbers Hill. So no, you really can’t parse words there. Along with GCCISD paying the lowest in the surrounding area it’s part of the reason they don’t get good football coaches. 

22 hours ago, prepballfan said:

PNG new DC has a some chops. Look for him to make a difference. Coach Faircloth looks to have made a great move here. 

PNG players look like they need a better strength and condition program. The vast majority of PNG’s players look like BH’s used to before TW got there. Santa Fe has an excuse as they have the smallest enrollment in the district so you expect some personnel deficiencies, same can’t be said for PNG though. Other than a few linemen PNG’s players look like they’ve gotten smaller over the last 6 or 7 years, but that may just be optics as other team’s enrollments have grown? 

30 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

There is a big difference between being an AD and an AC which is what GCCISD has at their campuses. An AD runs the entire show and has an administrative title. An AC is just pretty much a coach and has limited decision making power on campus.

You can listen to Eric Peevy’s interview and how he describes “just being a football coach” at Westbrook(AC) vs being the AD/HFC at LCM where he can oversee “all sports”. Same reason Westeberg left Allen to be an AD at Barbers Hill. So no, you really can’t parse words there. Along with GCCISD paying the lowest in the surrounding area it’s part of the reason they don’t get good football coaches. 

That's just silliness. Of course an AD has more responsibilities than a campus coordinator.  However,  an AD with 1 HS, 1 (Maybe 2) JHs, and 3 or 4 elementary schools does not come close to what an AD in GCCISD is responsible for. For that reason alone, the campus coordinators are expected to control what happens on their campus and to some extent their 2 feeder JHs. The ultimate decision, as expected, ALWAYS belongs to the AD. It's called a chain of command. Juat like you don't call the Superintendent if your kid gets a D Hall- there is a process in place.

As far as the money goes, you pay based on HC experience. The 3 HCs in GCCISD had about 6-7 years  (or less) between them when they were hired (GCM 0, RSS 3, REL ?). It's not about money whipping some established coach, it's about the ability to win games- that's what is missing in GCCISD since Olin left. Trust me, if teams were winning consistently,  the money would be there. The guy at Lee makes pretty good money.

Can it be fixed? I voted and argued for a one high school realignment.  Would we compete at a state level? Who knows, probably not. You see with one high school in Baytown you're gonna be 6A. That's a tough row to hoe in football.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:28 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

PNG players look like they need a better strength and condition program. The vast majority of PNG’s players look like BH’s used to before TW got there. Santa Fe has an excuse as they have the smallest enrollment in the district so you expect some personnel deficiencies, same can’t be said for PNG though. Other than a few linemen PNG’s players look like they’ve gotten smaller over the last 6 or 7 years, but that may just be optics as other team’s enrollments have grown? 

I agree -- Generally PNG players need to be much more athletic. We need at least some tweaks to the strength and conditioning program. It really showed against BH. 

1 minute ago, outanup said:

Gonna be looking for 2 coaches.....

Yep, and girls coaches too. I'm hearing King to United or Memorial OR could stay and teach only - that's the rumor at other Schools Field Houses.  Some talk about Faircloth too.   They have to honor King's contract less coaching stipends.  Probably about $15,000 total. 6 for football, 2/3 for coordinator then 3 or so for 2 other sports $12-15.  PNG get days for extra time put in at their day rate so around 300 a day for 15 or so days 

Time will tell