Huffman Hargrave 62 Silsbee 56/FINAL

16 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Surely not.  They don’t even believe in players switching schools who have always lived in a particular district.  

Evidently they believe in following the rules which is a rarity these days. Everyone needs to follow them or do away with them. On a similar note a bill was submitted in the house today to let home schoolers play UIL sports so all these UIL rulings may soon be history. 

10 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Evidently they believe in following the rules which is a rarity these days. Everyone needs to follow them or do away with them. On a similar note a bill was submitted in the house today to let home schoolers play UIL sports so all these UIL rulings may soon be history. 

Bridgeport won 4A a few years ago with home schoolers, some kind of way.

23 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

Bridgeport won 4A a few years ago with home schoolers, some kind of way.

It’s been an ongoing debate but it was introduced back on to the house floor this morning. I don’t think there will be any binding boundaries if this bill passes. Honestly so many districts skirt them these days there probably shouldn’t be. Let em play where they wanna play. 

2 hours ago, whsalum said:

Negative.  They believe in manipulating the rules to not allow a kid to play for a public school for which he zoned.  And where he has lived for many years.  You continue to try to justify their cowardly vote, even after admitting you knew little to nothing of the faces.  In essence, you are calling this young man’s father @Cardinal 1, who is also an educator, a liar.   It is a breath of air all right; a breath of west Texas air when the air is blowing just right from the fertilizer plants.  

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Negative.  They believe in manipulating the rules to not allow a kid to play for a public school for which he zoned.  And where he has lived for many years.  You continue to try to justify their cowardly vote, even after admitting you knew little to nothing of the faces.  In essence, you are calling this young man’s father @Cardinal 1, who is also an educator, a liar.   It is a breath of air all right; a breath of west Texas air when the air is blowing just right from the fertilizer plants.  

I didn’t call anyone a liar sir. If you choose to believe everything about this situation was on the up and up that’s your prerogative. I personally don’t know enough about the situation to know who’s was right or wrong. I do know that there have been two players in two years who were disqualified from playing because it was deemed they transferred for athletic purposes. I say let em all play wherever they wish but I don’t get a vote. I’ll agree with you on Congratulating Huffman on their first regional championship. The players didn’t have anything to do with this situation and deserve all the accolades they can get. 

3 hours ago, catfever said:

If they are "homeschooled", they should still have a residence that could be verified the same way as it is for enrollment.  The difference would be that they could actually compete for a school they were not actually enrolled in.  That can be a very slippery slope.

Indeed it could be a nightmare to try and enforce but no more than what the UIL deals with now. Whether we want to acknowledge it or not , not everyone plays by the rules. 

50 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I didn’t call anyone a liar sir. If you choose to believe everything about this situation was on the up and up that’s your prerogative. I personally don’t know enough about the situation to know who’s was right or wrong. I do know that there have been two players in two years who were disqualified from playing because it was deemed they transferred for athletic purposes. I say let em all play wherever they wish but I don’t get a vote. I’ll agree with you on Congratulating Huffman on their first regional championship. The players didn’t have anything to do with this situation and deserve all the accolades they can get. 

Except when you say “evidently they believe in following the rules,” you ARE making a statement that they are right (and implying you know enough about the facts to make that statement).  Thankfully, there are upstanding men like the HJ administration who voted in a noble manner.   Unfortunately, they were the exception to the rule.  

But again, congratulations* to Huffman. 

21 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Except when you say “evidently they believe in following the rules,” you ARE making a statement that they are right (and implying you know enough about the facts to make that statement).  Thankfully, there are upstanding men like the HJ administration who voted in a noble manner.   Unfortunately, they were the exception to the rule.  

But again, congratulations* to Huffman. 

I just believe there’s two sides to every story and you have to look at both sides. I don’t know anyone personally that works for Huffman ISD but I find it hard to believe they spend the day worrying about who plays ball in HF as long as the playing field is level. I don’t see an influx of unfamiliar faces on the Huffman team. 

10 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I just believe there’s two sides to every story and you have to look at both sides. I don’t know anyone personally that works for Huffman ISD but I find it hard to believe they spend the day worrying about who plays ball in HF as long as the playing field is level. I don’t see an influx of unfamiliar faces on the Huffman team. 

Yes I can’t imagine how in the world they would have any ill will towards HF 😂🤣

And those big dummies at HJ shoulda pulled their heads out of their behinds and voted against the kid too!   Lord knows Huffman would NEVER vote unjustly!   Yep, you nailed it champ.  

And to break this down for you - if you believe his father and what he’s posted on this board, the kid’s transfer was legit.   If you believe Huffman and the other little men, it wasn’t.  So to say you can’t imagine they would vote against a legitimate case,  you ARE pretty much calling the young man’s father a liar.  You can’t have it both ways.   But it’s cool.  There’s no secret where your bias comes from either. 

An occasional 3 pointer going in would have made a WORLD of difference.  The young Tigers confidence level would have been much higher.  At the beginning of the second they looked as down as I've seen them in the playoffs.  They were psyched out.  They battled back and it was a contest right up to the last couple of minutes.

They had looks that were just about as open as in the Connally game but nothing fell.  Was it the open gym?  Whatever.

What we saw was the best possible scenario for Huff and I think the Tigers being ice cold is the only way the Falcons win.

35 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

And to break this down for you - if you believe his father and what he’s posted on this board, the kid’s transfer was legit.   If you believe Huffman and the other little men, it wasn’t.  So to say you can’t imagine they would vote against a legitimate case,  you ARE pretty much calling the young man’s father a liar.  You can’t have it both ways.   But it’s cool.  There’s no secret where your bias comes from either. 

Or yours. ;) lol

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Yes I can’t imagine how in the world they would have any ill will towards HF 😂🤣

And those big dummies at HJ shoulda pulled their heads out of their behinds and voted against the kid too!   Lord knows Huffman would NEVER vote unjustly!   Yep, you nailed it champ.  

Once again I have called no one a liar. Evidently it doesn’t sit well with you when someone has a different opinion than you . That’s fine with me “champ”. I’ve already said I wished the kid would have played. Huffman won the region, congratulate em and move on . Or keep bringing up the sour grapes. That’s up to you.  

1 hour ago, FAWF2021 said:

Isn’t it widely known and basically just accepted that HJ gets kids from Beaumont all the time that don’t live in the district and has for years, and that the HF team got an immediate influx of talent as soon as the new head coach showed up there??  

Not sure about the HJ part but the whole HF situation was definitely weird. Sure there might have been at least one of those kids that lived in the district the entire time and decided to attend HF after the coaching change. But would he have made that decision if he were the only athlete transferring? IDK. Were all the “move-ins” legitimate? Evidently not according to the UIL decision to make some play JV for a year. Hard to believe that all that swapping to HF (who I think won one game and took 20 plus point losses on the regular the year before) just happened naturally lol 

2 hours ago, FAWF2021 said:

Isn’t it widely known and basically just accepted that HJ gets kids from Beaumont all the time that don’t live in the district and has for years, and that the HF team got an immediate influx of talent as soon as the new head coach showed up there??  

You could almost say that all HF basketball teams sucked until recently when that influx of talent came in but that could be proven by looking at past records. Not that anyone would do that, they are just playing by the new rules and it’s only 10 mins from Bmt. Look at Winnie and HJ, Beaumont has plenty of basketball talent to go around. They can’t all start for BU or WB, when they merged Central and Ozen some of those kids had to go play elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

You could almost say that all HF basketball teams sucked until recently when that influx of talent came in but that could be proven by looking at past records. Not that anyone would do that, they are just playing by the new rules and it’s only 10 mins from Bmt. Look at Winnie and HJ, Beaumont has plenty of basketball talent to go around. They can’t all start for BU or WB, when they merged Central and Ozen some of those kids had to go play elsewhere. 

What are the new rules they are playing by?  

4 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Well I guess you have a point there, the unwritten rules. Recruiting happens all over the place in all sports. It’s part of the reason high schools have open enrollment now.

Just making sure I hadn’t missed something!  Some schools are historically good at it and others like HF are just now getting into the game

13 hours ago, FAWF2021 said:

I don’t know about the HJ getting kids from Beaumont all the time. I do know kids transfer all the time, some of those are legit and some aren’t. I know in recent years there have been more transfer out of the HJ district than there have been coming in. 

On 3/6/2021 at 7:28 PM, Kountzer said:

I'm not hyping Miller's youth or the team's prospects for the future.  I am marveling how tough he is regardless of his age.  Someone brought up basketball is a contact sport.  But if the guy can't clear air enough to block a lay up let it go. Going to state is not worth  maiming the opponent.  That was a football linebacker hit.  You can mess some one up for life like that.  

It was a dirty hit! Didn't even make a play for the ball. yeah-Kuddos to Huffman they won...but that is not acceptable! Period!

56 minutes ago, EliteTiger said:

It was a dirty hit! Didn't even make a play for the ball. yeah-Kuddos to Huffman they won...but that is not acceptable! Period!

I'm kind of curious if he'll be suspended for that.  It was super dirty, and broke the kid's wrist.  HJ had a player get suspended for his actions against a HH player that cost them their first round playoff game, and I had a lengthy conversation with a HH coach in another thread about it.  I'm curious to hear if HH did anything about this.