Silsbee vs Huffman Hargrave Region 3 Championship

Silsbee is playing well right now, clearly above their "unranked" status.  The Tigers played better than Huffman last night.  Connolly, ranked 22, is at least a little better team than unranked Carthage.  Witness Connally's 17 pt. win over 14th ranked Austin LBJ.  Silsbee had a rough first half but went in with a lead and controlled the game in the second half comfortably enough empty the bench at the 2 min mark.  On the other hand Huffman went in trailing by 1.  They fought back into the lead in the 3rd but it was never comfortable and at the 2 min mark the game was still in question. 

The thing that gives me pause is Huffman's 34 point blowout of Lumberton, doubling the Raiders score.    There were no third round blowouts quite like that, even among the top 5 against unranked opponents.  

A fancy record over the years doesn't mean anything if you got nothing to show for it. At the very least a few region appearances would be expected if you're that good. I heard somewhere this was Huffman's first time past round 3.

Some teams have those records cause they hardly ever challenge themselves. Look at how Hamshire Fannett handled them and their fancy record last year. It's no wonder they didn't want that other kid to play for Fannett this season.

Not saying Silsbee is gonna win. I didn't expect Silsbee to be playing past playoff game number 2. This is still a young team rebuilding. Everything has just been icing on the cake these past few games.

30 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Silsbee is playing well right now, clearly above their "unranked" status.  The Tigers played better than Huffman last night.  Connolly, ranked 22, is at least a little better team than unranked Carthage.  Witness Connally's 17 pt. win over 14th ranked Austin LBJ.  Silsbee had a rough first half but went in with a lead and controlled the game in the second half comfortably enough empty the bench at the 2 min mark.  On the other hand Huffman went in trailing by 1.  They fought back into the lead in the 3rd but it was never comfortable and at the 2 min mark the game was still in question. 

The thing that gives me pause is Huffman's 34 point blowout of Lumberton, doubling the Raiders score.    There were no third round blowouts quite like that, even among the top 5 against unranked opponents.  

Lumberton played worse game all year, it’s sports and it happens all the time, sometimes shots don’t fall and Huffman played well. I mean BC beat HJ sometimes you are going to have bad games, I think this is a game that will come down to the wire. 

35 minutes ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

Lumberton played worse game all year, it’s sports and it happens all the time, sometimes shots don’t fall and Huffman played well. I mean BC beat HJ sometimes you are going to have bad games, I think this is a game that will come down to the wire. 

What a lot of Lumberton fans don’t realize (I am sure the coach does) the guy who guarded McClure, Luke Thomas, was still in football the first time they played Huffman.  When a team struggles give credit to Huffman’s defense.  I am sure it was a combination of both, but don’t be a homer and say it was just an off night.

6 minutes ago, Kris_Gilmore said:

What a lot of Lumberton fans don’t realize (I am sure the coach does) the guy who guarded McClure, Luke Thomas, was still in football the first time they played Huffman.  When a team struggles give credit to Huffman’s defense.  I am sure it was a combination of both, but don’t be a homer and say it was just an off night.

He’s a really good athlete, plays hard I like him. Huffman always plays great defense he just makes them better on that end 

28 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Am I the only one who is clueless about that happened at the end of the HJ/JJ seeding game? Anyone care to fill us in?

two players had the ball tied up as the buzzer sounded, and it got a little out of hand, at which time a good portion of the Huffman student section ran full court and into the melee.  It was all broken up pretty quickly.  But one HJ player (the best HJ player) ended up suspended by his coach, which no doubt cost them their 1st round playoff game (not that they should've lost anyway)

2 hours ago, Kris_Gilmore said:

You were at the game?  The fans  (high school students) were on the complete opposite end of the gym when the incident happened at the end of the game.  I was at the game, watched a video filmed from HJ's side, and you are incorrect.

Yeah?  the only problem with your account is that the video is still available online, and about 30-40 kids from HH's student section run the length of the court and get in the middle of the incident.   

I saw Huffman play Yates in Kingwood.  AAW was there. I saw Sigler.  Jim Hicks was there.  I think Yates had eliminated Silsbee a couple of days after that.  That was Adams & McCain's Sr year.  Bre Bush was a Junior.  

Huffman had this kid with an almost perfect jumper.  Nice form, quick release.  He was shooting lights out.  He kept HH in the game, for the first half.   I am sure that was Harvey.    

Yates had the real JY press & trap defense working.  Silsbee had their big three & they couldn't do nothing with it.  Huffman could not either.  Yates had big, athletic players like Ruben Jones and others whose names I can't recall.

At halftime it was a fairly close game.  In the second half Huffman wasn't that accurate with their outside shots.  Yate's press had worn them down.  JY went on and cruised to a win.  They had a short guy who hit some nice 3s as well.

I sat with some Huffman students.  Nice young men.  I told them I was originally from Silsbee and we sat there and talked 4A, SE Texas basketball during the whole game.

15 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Yeah?  the only problem with your account is that the video is still available online, and about 30-40 kids from HH's student section run the length of the court and get in the middle of the incident.   

The only problem with all of these accounts is they are based on other people's accounts. I was there and have no bias to either of the schools. I was right in front of where it all "went down". The HJ kid was already frustrated and when the ball got tied up and the Huffman kid would not give it up, the HJ kid slung him into the wall and started a melee of punches at him. The Huffman kid was completely thrown off and was trying to get him off. Yes the Huffman fans ran onto the court and most definitely shouldn't have. That being said they did not engage anyone and were quickly separated from the situation. The Huffman and HJ players both quickly got there as well and did a pretty good job of separating the kids and themselves from the other team. Other than the HJ kid throwing punches and the coaches shouting back and forth at each other there wasn't much action in all of it. The HJ kid in my opinion should have been suspended. Frustration is no excuse for how he handled that. 

13 minutes ago, PrairieMan said:

The only problem with all of these accounts is they are based on other people's accounts. I was there and have no bias to either of the schools. I was right in front of where it all "went down". The HJ kid was already frustrated and when the ball got tied up and the Huffman kid would not give it up, the HJ kid slung him into the wall and started a melee of punches at him. The Huffman kid was completely thrown off and was trying to get him off. Yes the Huffman fans ran onto the court and most definitely shouldn't have. That being said they did not engage anyone and were quickly separated from the situation. The Huffman and HJ players both quickly got there as well and did a pretty good job of separating the kids and themselves from the other team. Other than the HJ kid throwing punches and the coaches shouting back and forth at each other there wasn't much action in all of it. The HJ kid in my opinion should have been suspended. Frustration is no excuse for how he handled that. 

video doesn't show what happened between the two.  it clearly shows the HH students piling into it.  several people who were there commented in the original thread, and this is the first time I've heard this explanation.  If that's what happened, then so be it, give him the suspension.  anyway, back to silsbee and huffman.  I hope Silsbee gives them the boot.  

1 hour ago, PrairieMan said:

This is exactly  what happened.  The kids ran on the floor because they won and most likely didn’t even see the punches.

bullets said it was Huffman spectators fault HJ kid was suspended .  It’s frustrating 4 games later and people are bringing it up so that’s why I said something. SETX community not liking Huffman gets frustrating when those kids have done absolutely nothing except play basketball.  

Since Huffman is in “our area” as is Silsbee, I’m excited simply by that.  I don’t know how long it’s been since two SETX teams fought it out for Regional, but I’d guess it doesn’t happen often.

There will be contrasting styles, Silsbee using speed and HH being methodical, which sometimes frustrate opponents.  I still say it’s going to be a whale of a ballgame.   Those that have seen both teams play have a better read on the victor, but most of them have a little bias, lol.  Any more than a six point difference at the end will surprise me.

1 hour ago, PrairieMan said:

From what i was told from within and what i saw this sounds pretty accurate.  I saw the two tussle and arms flyins.  Saw everone run that direction but really only saw the teams and others trying to seperate the action, not much other activity.

52 minutes ago, Kris_Gilmore said:

This is exactly  what happened.  The kids ran on the floor because they won and most likely didn’t even see the punches.

bullets said it was Huffman spectators fault HJ kid was suspended .  It’s frustrating 4 games later and people are bringing it up so that’s why I said something. SETX community not liking Huffman gets frustrating when those kids have done absolutely nothing except play basketball.  

I don’t think it’s the kids people have a problem with

2 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I don’t think it’s the kids people have a problem with

And they shouldn’t but when people like texashoops wants teams like Brookshire royal to win against Huffman  just because he has a problem with coaches that’s not cool.  

I went to hamshire, coach in Huffman, half my family is from HJ, and my wife is from Silsbee.  So I am very familiar with the area.