Has ALL of the Kountze talent moved up the road to Silsbee? What has happened in Kountze?

5 hours ago, TrojanMoJo said:

My cousins no more Hancocks. Tremaine & Keithan Hancock assistant coaches for Beaumont United

That's a problem for places like Kountze and Silsbee.  All the talent, knowledge and genetics tends to move to the big city like Beaumont.  

8 minutes ago, TrojanMoJo said:

Yes my daddy went to Kountze. He talked about Manning. He use to play basketball in the backyard against Manning

Back then they mostly had kill the grass, dirt court basketball.  No gyms, not cement courts...those came later.  As far as I know, in the modern era, that is when it all started in Kountze.  Them hoopers back then could play!

Silsbee does a decent job of keeping their genetics in town. A lot of folks move back when it's time settle down and raise a family. That's why you see a lot of the same last names on teams year in and year out.

Of course some of that may stray a little ways down the road every once in while, but that's something that works in both directions.

13 hours ago, Kountzer said:

By the time the Montagne was built they were old men.

Where was the warm up game I’m thinking of? They played a very good much larger school in Beaumont as part of a 2 or 3 game card. They lost but in a very respectable game considering the ranking of their opponent. I remember Manning a very slim guy with a Afro. They both could play. They are a little younger than I am so they still can’t be old men 😂😂

1 hour ago, Kountzer said:

They played a highly rated Houston Wheatley team in Beaumont once. They held their own in the game.  We may be talking about the same game. All this occured around 1969-1971 somewhere around then.

That’s it. They are about my age. There was another guy down there a year or so after that that could fill it up. I think his name was Wesley Shaw but I’m not 100% sure on that one. We use to go down there and play some in the summer 

49 minutes ago, whsalum said:

That’s it. They are about my age. There was another guy down there a year or so after that that could fill it up. I think his name was Wesley Shaw but I’m not 100% sure on that one. We use to go down there and play some in the summer 

I missed that game.  We had no internet or twitter back then.  News traveled slow.  But you were around, you know.

9 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Silsbee does a decent job of keeping their genetics in town. A lot of folks move back when it's time settle down and raise a family. That's why you see a lot of the same last names on teams year in and year out.

Of course some of that may stray a little ways down the road every once in while, but that's something that works in both directions.

Agree

21 hours ago, whsalum said:

Where was the warm up game I’m thinking of? They played a very good much larger school in Beaumont as part of a 2 or 3 game card. They lost but in a very respectable game considering the ranking of their opponent. I remember Manning a very slim guy with a Afro. They both could play. They are a little younger than I am so they still can’t be old men 😂😂

Silsbee played a similar warm up game against Wheatley.  It was played in the same gym.  The results were not similar. Silsbee got beat by double digits.  The Silsbee coach at the time, coach Montgomery, used that slow down walk it up approach.  Wheatley was running trapping and freewheeling. I saw Wheatley star Eddie Owens grab a rebound with one hand, he just held it, palmed the ball, with one hand.  Yates was not the first team in HOuston with that style, not by a long shot.  I went to that game. I don't remember exactly where it was played.  I want to say it was played at the old Beaumont high school.  That was so long ago.  By the time the Montagne center was built guys like Manning & Brannon weren't old, but they were well past playing high school basketball.

18 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Agree

Some of what I say about genetics & all that is tongue and cheek humor.  Beaumont is natural draw: good shopping nice housing and subdivisions.  I know so many people that have moved to Beaumont, or like me, to Houston.  Hopefully Silsbee does what it has to do to carry on.  Beaumont?  It's aiight.  I'm not passionate about the place, but I respect it.  

7 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Silsbee played a similar warm up game against Wheatley.  It was played in the same gym.  The results were not similar. Silsbee got beat by double digits.  The Silsbee coach at the time, coach Montgomery, used that slow down walk it up approach.  Wheatley was running trapping and freewheeling. I saw Wheatley star Eddie Owens grab a rebound with one hand, he just held it, palmed the ball, with one hand.  Yates was not the first team in HOuston with that style, not by a long shot.  I went to that game. I don't remember exactly where it was played.  I want to say it was played at the old Beaumont high school.  That was so long ago.  By the time the Montagne center was built guys like Manning & Brannon weren't old, but they were well past playing high school basketball.

Yes sir time gets away from me. The Montagne opened in 83. Manning and Brannon were in their 30’s by then. I can remember watching the game from up high around mid court but I can’t remember the gym. I think Coach Tate was the Coach in those days and his assistant was Coach Wilson.