Silsbee 64 Wharton 55/FINAL

WOSgrad

5 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Some freshmen aren't really freshmen with all the AAU & off season ball they play. I noticed that with Devon McCain & Jay Adams when they were freshmen. Then came Bre Bush who shattered freshmen expectations. 

All these middle school players they see all that, and they want to do the same thing.

I see your point, but upperclassmen also do AAU as well.  So freshmen expectations IMO should still be lower than the upperclassmen. That’s why all schools have freshmen teams.  But there are exceptions. A LONG list of exceptions...

10 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Some freshmen aren't really freshmen with all the AAU & off season ball they play. I noticed that with Devon McCain & Jay Adams when they were freshmen. Then came Bre Bush who shattered freshmen expectations. 

All these middle school players they see all that, and they want to do the same thing.

You are correct they  have more experience due to AAU but they are still freshman 14-15 year old kids competing against 17-18 year olds...maturity and body strength not full developed.  

It doesn't happen that often.  You definitely don't want to force it. But Every once & awhile you run into a precocious youngster, or two,  who is ready to play at the varsity level.  Kareem Jabbar, Pete Maravich. When they were college freshmen everyone knew it was a waste of time for them to play on a freshman team.  They were trying to get Maravich to play for the high school varsity when he was in the seventh or 8th grade.  

Those 5 freshman mentioned are really good friends with each other. They have a few freshman around the area that are stars on the varsity squads. They all play with each other for years in the summer. I disagree that their are only 2 great coaches in the area.. Sutherland and Boutte should be included period. English is good too.. Ijs

31 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Those and add Kevin Foster of Big Sandy.  He’s as good as any.  I would argue the job he’s done this year (and the one Boutte did at WB) are among their best. 

I agree.

Coach Foster texted me after their game and I told him what an excellent job of coaching he has done this season to get his team to the 4th round.

I gotta tell ya, if this Silsbee team at least MAKES it to the State championship game, this will likely be the start of one of the greatest team dynasties ever in SE Texas history! They will be YOUNG again next season, yet more talented and seasoned than most teams in the state! DANGEROUS! Those Silsbee freshmen are the best I've seen as 9th graders since Stephen Jackson and Kendrick Perkins.