Goose Creek Memorial 79 Nederland 66/FINAL

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, JayBilas said:

I have to be honest.  Which kids do you know that were African American and played for Nederland that were actually FROM Nederland? Those were the kids that I was referring to. Port Arthur kids.

Tyler Jackson is African American on this year’s team.  And he’s not the only one  

21 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Tyler Jackson is African American on this year’s team.  And he’s not the only one  

Correct and for the past 7-8 years outside of maybe 2 kids that were standouts, the rest were legit kids from Port Arthur in SOME capacity. I'm not saying the parents didn't possibly MOVE to Nederland, but they were Port Arthur kids.

31 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

Correct and for the past 7-8 years outside of maybe 2 kids that were standouts, the rest were legit kids from Port Arthur in SOME capacity. I'm not saying the parents didn't possibly MOVE to Nederland, but they were Port Arthur kids.

I think there’s a lot of moving in Mid-County.  My understanding is Roschon from PNG was originally a Port Arthur kid.  There certainly could be a multitude of reasons a family might want to move to a particular school district or another. 

23 hours ago, JayBilas said:

What, did Tyler get two tip dunks or something? Nederland is no longer getting the good Port Arthur kids, I assume? Is that program getting stale? Will Coach English look for greener pastures? I like him, great guy and all, but I think that well has dried up over there for basketball.

I could see English as the next Coach of Lamar University....

Just now, Hooohead.com said:

I could see English as the next Coach of Lamar University....

Again, love Coach English as a person and a really good high school basketball coach, BUT. What has he accomplished to deserve a shot at LU? Lamar never came after Sutherland. Or Boutte. Why English? Just curious to know your logic other than being a fan or friend of his.

On 2/23/2021 at 11:59 AM, JayBilas said:

I have to be honest.  Which kids do you know that were African American and played for Nederland that were actually FROM Nederland? Those were the kids that I was referring to. Port Arthur kids.

Tyler went to middle in Nederland. Gipson is from Louisiana. I don’t understand the criteria you are wanting to have a kid be FROM Nederland v MOVE to Nederland. I can’t remember a legit PA kid moving here during HS and being a significant player in the last 7-8 years. 
Anyway, I do agree with you that English isn’t on Lamar short list. 

12 hours ago, JayBilas said:

Again, love Coach English as a person and a really good high school basketball coach, BUT. What has he accomplished to deserve a shot at LU? Lamar never came after Sutherland. Or Boutte. Why English? Just curious to know your logic other than being a fan or friend of his.

Heard they were going after someone local....his cuppard is dry....that's all

4 hours ago, Baba Ganoush32 said:

Tyler went to middle in Nederland. Gipson is from Louisiana. I don’t understand the criteria you are wanting to have a kid be FROM Nederland v MOVE to Nederland. I can’t remember a legit PA kid moving here during HS and being a significant player in the last 7-8 years. 
Anyway, I do agree with you that English isn’t on Lamar short list. 

To me there's more kids transferring away from Ned to Port Arthur Memorial than vice versa right now. It changes every several years. Once that new HS is built it'll switch again.

And folks may ask: well why our enrollment here in PA as far as HS keeps going down, the answer is: Fort Bend County and Eastern Harris County, I don't blame those families one bit either. 🤷🏾‍♂️

6 hours ago, JayBilas said:

Hold on, has Tic Price been fired? What do you mean they are "going after someone local"? Who would that be? 

It's to no surprise if your 4-? whatever they are on the college ranks you won't be there long. I've watched Lamar 3 times this year to see if I could see why they are not winning and it starts with the Coach as far as recruiting and of the talent your bringing in isn't getting it done and hasn't for the past years or so and there moving to a new conference then best believe they will be moving in with a new Coach. 

1 hour ago, Hooohead.com said:

It's to no surprise if your 4-? whatever they are on the college ranks you won't be there long. I've watched Lamar 3 times this year to see if I could see why they are not winning and it starts with the Coach as far as recruiting and of the talent your bringing in isn't getting it done and hasn't for the past years or so and there moving to a new conference then best believe they will be moving in with a new Coach. 

Idk.  He has two years left on his contract.  This year has been a mess for a lot of teams.  I will say that if he scheduled 6 NAIA teams (like McNeese), his record would be better.  As for recruiting, he has one of the best freshmen in the conference and one of the best recruits Lamar has had in a long time in Kasen.  And I think this is only his second losing season he’s had.  If you’re going to buy someone out, you better make sure the replacement is going to be better.  “Taking a flyer” on a HS coach who has never coached at the collegiate level would definitely not fit that bill. 

11 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Idk.  He has two years left on his contract.  This year has been a mess for a lot of teams.  I will say that if he scheduled 6 NAIA teams (like McNeese), his record would be better.  As for recruiting, he has one of the best freshmen in the conference and one of the best recruits Lamar has had in a long time in Kasen.  And I think this is only his second losing season he’s had.  If you’re going to buy someone out, you better make sure the replacement is going to be better.  “Taking a flyer” on a HS coach who has never coached at the collegiate level would definitely not fit that bill. 

I agree in Harrison and i haven't kept up with Lamar except for going watch the local kid myself. It was a convol that came up by some LU alumni I know. Me personally would like to see his 1st Asst. Brandon Chappelle if going local at the helm if the job became available or even University of Illinois Asst.and ex Lamar player Ronald Coleman if you could lure him away from the Big 10.

17 hours ago, TxHoops said:

BINGO...TEN thumbs up, my sentiments EXACTLY

38 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

7-17 overall record gets awards?

That simply means that he is being recognized for his team's improvement over the course of the season.  I wonder would you feel the same way if it were Pat Knight? Or Grey Giovanney? or Tom Abetemarco? Probably not.