Can you compliment the “other side”?

Chester86

I am curious if you can find at least one thing positive to say about the “other side”.  Hopefully this will not only be back-handed compliments and denigration.

I’ll start off saying that I don’t really consider myself to be either a Republican or a Democrat; I loathe the self-serving life-long politicians on both sides.  But I would say my views align more with the Republican side.  

Minus the problems inherent with the bureaucracy associated with it I respect the attempt to provide for the less fortunate from the Democrats.  Jesus said for us to feed the hungry, provide shelter and clothe those in need (Matthew 25, 31-40).  

2 hours ago, Chester86 said:

I am curious if you can find at least one thing positive to say about the “other side”.  Hopefully this will not only be back-handed compliments and denigration.

I’ll start off saying that I don’t really consider myself to be either a Republican or a Democrat; I loathe the self-serving life-long politicians on both sides.  But I would say my views align more with the Republican side.  

Minus the problems inherent with the bureaucracy associated with it I respect the attempt to provide for the less fortunate from the Democrats.  Jesus said for us to feed the hungry, provide shelter and clothe those in need (Matthew 25, 31-40).  

I’m with you.  The middle paragraph especially. Well, the third too for that matter.  

I must admit I laughed when I read the title of your thread.  Not that it was funny and I think it’s a great idea and maybe something that should be required in DC.   But because it reminded me of the classic Gomer Pyle line from the Andy Griffith show - “For a fat girl you sure don’t sweat much!”   I think that’s the kind of “compliments” we should expect here 😂

50 minutes ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

Both sides have done an incredible job at brainwashing their voter bases into blindly voting for them every..single..time.. and convincing their voter bases that their middle and lower class neighbors down the street are evil 

If you vote R or D every single time, you are an absolute moron 

That last sentence will depend on what a candidate stands for.  The direction the D party is headed will cause one not to vote for them, at least on a national level.  There have been some D’s that I have voted for on the local level.

20 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

That last sentence will depend on what a candidate stands for.  The direction the D party is headed will cause one not to vote for them, at least on a national level.  There have been some D’s that I have voted for on the local level.

All I know if team R triples down on the MAGA cult in 2024 then they’re going to turn off millions of moderates, who from my experience, generally lean conservative. Note - I said lean conservative, not lean republican (big difference)

my recent picks were

08 - Obama

12 - Romney

16 - Anti-Hillary

20 - I would’ve settled for a potato 

I'm neither a D or an R. I can't stand either party. I consider myself a moderate conservative.

I can respect those concerned with immigrants and their children. I also respect their need and desire to do better here in America. I just cannot support open borders and forgoing a legal system for that to happen.

I can somewhat relate with those concerned with our environment but they want to take it too far too fast.

I can appreciate compassion for the rest of the world that's in need but not without putting Americans first.

I respect and agree with the call to provide food for those in need but I can't support a card with unlimited choices.

I wholeheartedly agree with BLM. However, liberals take too far by wanting to defund the police and portray them as the bad guys and making the bad guys heroes and martyrs. Somehow its portrayed as all white peoples fault. It's taken too far and I can't support that.

I can understand their desire for inclusion but I can't support things that conflict with my biblical values.

If you can somehow remove politics from the equation, I think they mean well. I just don't agree.

1 hour ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

All I know if team R triples down on the MAGA cult in 2024 then they’re going to turn off millions of moderates, who from my experience, generally lean conservative. Note - I said lean conservative, not lean republican (big difference)

my recent picks were

08 - Obama

12 - Romney

16 - Anti-Hillary

20 - I would’ve settled for a potato 

Is this your example of saying something good about the other side?

2 minutes ago, mat said:

I'm neither a D or an R. I can't stand either party. I consider myself a moderate conservative.

I can respect those concerned with immigrants and their children. I also respect their need and desire to do better here in America. I just cannot support open borders and forgoing a legal system for that to happen.

I can somewhat relate with those concerned with our environment but they want to take it too far too fast.

I can appreciate compassion for the rest of the world that's in need but not without putting Americans first.

I respect and agree with the call to provide food for those in need but I can't support a card with unlimited choices.

I wholeheartedly agree with BLM. However, liberals take too far by wanting to defund the police and portray them as the bad guys and making the bad guys heroes and martyrs. Somehow its portrayed as all white peoples fault. It's taken too far and I can't support that.

I can understand their desire for inclusion but I can't support things that conflict with my biblical values.

If you can somehow remove politics from the equation, I think they mean well. I just don't agree.

Good post mat. Your last sentence stating that they mean well.......maybe sometimes, but there are a lot of evil people in this world who don’t give a damn about you or me, and they are governing us right now......and I do mean evil and full of wickedness.

1 hour ago, baddog said:

Is this your example of saying something good about the other side?

No - I think this “other side” mentality is complete BS tbh, people out here acting like this country is divided into sports teams and the other guy is literally evil 

But I’ll leave it alone and let you guys get back on topic 

29 minutes ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

No - I think this “other side” mentality is complete BS tbh, people out here acting like this country is divided into sports teams and the other guy is literally evil 

But I’ll leave it alone and let you guys get back on topic 

Then why chime in at all?

20 hours ago, Chester86 said:

But it has to be balanced.  The Bible also teaches us "for even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat" in @ Thessalonians 3:10.

That totally flies in the face of the doctrine on the left that it's your right as an American to be provided with food, shelter, college education, a smart phone, healthcare and spending money.  There are a lot of people who can't do for themselves.... but there are many, many more who chose NOT to do for themselves.... and it's no secret that most of them vote "D" because of the well-intentioned but misguided principles on the left. 

I hear people complaining all of the time.... "if a kid goes to school and can't afford lunch, they feed him/her a ham sandwich!  Can you believe it?  A HAM SANDWICH!!!"  For the record, if I'm paying for my kids lunch he/she deserves to eat better.  This whole "equality" horse crap should have been nipped in the bud a long time ago.  Nobody owes you anything.  Period.  And if you have to eat a ham sandwich while my kid is eating something better... that's how it works in real life, and it's a lesson that you learned at an early age.   I've said for a long time that if people heard their kids crying because they were hungry, there wouldn't be nearly as many kids living in poverty.  We've made it too easy to suck on the teat. People don't believe in getting a better job and moving up the ladder... they believe in yelling until they get a bump in their foodstamps.  

That's focusing solely on one issue, but it's the same across the board.  

We've all heard about the ants and grasshoppers getting ready for winter.  For some crazy reason, the Ds stopped examining things like work ethic and sound decision making and instead want to look solely at results based on skin color.  If you are raised in a single parent household, your odds of being poor are very, very high.  We also know that the rates of black kids born out of wedlock is astounding compared to other races.... but the left refuses to acknowledge the correlation and instead blame "systemic racism" and "oppression" for the plight of young black kids being raised by single moms (or grandmothers).  Trust me.... white folks didn't coin the terms "baby mama" and "baby daddy," but the Ds won't acknowledge the correlations. 

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

But it has to be balanced.  The Bible also teaches us "for even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat" in @ Thessalonians 3:10.

That totally flies in the face of the doctrine on the left that it's your right as an American to be provided with food, shelter, college education, a smart phone, healthcare and spending money.  There are a lot of people who can't do for themselves.... but there are many, many more who chose NOT to do for themselves.... and it's no secret that most of them vote "D" because of the well-intentioned but misguided principles on the left. 

I hear people complaining all of the time.... "if a kid goes to school and can't afford lunch, they feed him/her a ham sandwich!  Can you believe it?  A HAM SANDWICH!!!"  For the record, if I'm paying for my kids lunch he/she deserves to eat better.  This whole "equality" horse crap should have been nipped in the bud a long time ago.  Nobody owes you anything.  Period.  And if you have to eat a ham sandwich while my kid is eating something better... that's how it works in real life, and it's a lesson that you learned at an early age.   I've said for a long time that if people heard their kids crying because they were hungry, there wouldn't be nearly as many kids living in poverty.  We've made it too easy to suck on the teat. People don't believe in getting a better job and moving up the ladder... they believe in yelling until they get a bump in their foodstamps.  

We've all heard about the ants and grasshoppers getting ready for winter.  For some crazy reason, the Ds stopped examining things like work ethic and sound decision making and instead want to look solely at results based on skin color.  If you are raised in a single parent household, your odds of being poor are very, very high.  We also know that the rates of black kids born out of wedlock is astounding compared to other races.... but the left refuses to acknowledge the correlation and instead blame "systemic racism" and "oppression" for the plight of young black kids being raised by single moms (or grandmothers).  Trust me.... white folks didn't coin the terms "baby mama" and "baby daddy," but the Ds won't acknowledge the correlations. 

Well said

1 hour ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Wow this is hard.....I ve actually have given this much thought since the original post from Chester.....

I guess the only thing I can really say nice about the left is the push for decriminalization and medical marijuana.

Only problem is they would like that mandated from the fed gov.  Personally, I don’t think the fed gov has any business in the drug decisions that states should be making themselves. (That could be a long list of items...lol.)

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

So concerning to topic of the thread; I suppose the answer is no?

1 hour ago, mat said:

So concerning to topic of the thread; I suppose the answer is no?

I’m trying... it’s tough because I’m so conservative, and that flies in the face of pretty much every social and financial stance that is taken by the left. I’m in favor of smaller government, the second amendment, less regulation, Christian values, lower taxes, etc...

Immigration reform. I can get behind that.  It needs to be easier to gain your citizenship. We can’t “send them all home.” I’m not opposed to decriminalizing marijuana, either. 

I agree with the Democrats on legalizing marijuana.  I’ve never tried it, and have been staunchly against it most of my life.  I’ve now come to the conclusion, that like prohibition, we can’t stop it with laws, so take the profits from the cartels.  It’s apparent to me now it’s no worse than alcohol, and actually has some medicinal value.

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I can actually agree with you on your post only thing I might add is the corporate welfare and cronyism is equally more aggravating in the money laundering bureaucracy of Washington DC. 

5 minutes ago, Realville said:

Politicians Suck! Democrats and Republicans! They are self serving Parasites! That’s the nicest thing I could come up with. 

I agree with your statement but it doesn’t necessarily apply to citizens that claim either party.