Bridge City 54 Hardin-Jefferson 49/FINAL

WOSgrad

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Me too - still thought they had a good chance going into playoffs.  Never know with this game. 

The Hawks just struggled with consistency almost all season. Credit Bridge City today for making some defensive adjustments and taking the inside game away in the second half. The game came down to free throws in the 4th quarter, the cardinals hit theirs and the Hawks didn’t. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

I get it.  You don’t like HJ or their coach based on comments last year.  But while digging at them, you kind of insulted the team that beat them.   Obviously Yates is below average if you compare them to Duncanville (who beat the brakes off of them) or even a United or Hightower team who would likely beat the brakes off of the Lions.  

I generally don’t have a problem with Yates.  I will root for them against one team in particular in the region, and will always root for them against any team from the Metroplex.  

Some folks don’t like the truth.  But if the shoe fits (usually several large shoes, from all across the city), though... 

51 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I think many years ago they lost to Jasper early in the playoffs but I’m just going on memory 

HJ losing early to Jasper in the playoffs could have happened.  I know for sure it happened to Silsbee.  BC upsetting HJ?  Yeah that's big.  I've been noticing what goes on in sports in BC since the Stee Worster days.  They put out good baseball teams.  Football? The big name in Orange Texas county is WOS.  BC may have had some winning Basketball seasons. I haven't been keeping up that hard, year after year.

5 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Some folks don’t like the truth.  But if the shoe fits (usually several large shoes, from all across the city), though... 

You got to get it out the mud as they say. To know this part of SE Texas you got to live here a bit. Then you know an can comment. Lot a folks don't know Chance Loeb, they just know Lumberton. They don't know Lutcher Stark HS, Charlton Pollard, French, So Park Greenies. They just know Westbrook & United.  They don't know Coach Ozen, or even Ozen HS.  I grew up in this part of the 409.  Not tryna start a gang, lol.  Just kicking a little history.  

3 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

BC making history. They have a heck of a bragging right over HJ wow. Just WOW!!

So now winning a 1st round playoff game is making history?? Lord we have started getting way to loose with the making history stuff. I’m not sure why but at every level of sports we see teams get complacent early in the playoffs. Usually if they are lucky enough to pull out those early playoff victories You see see them play much better as the competition gets tougher. That didn’t happen this time. Bridge City was down by 16 in the second half and refused to quit. You gotta respect that as a fan of the game. Both clubs had a great fan base yesterday and the atmosphere was what makes high school basketball the best ticket in town. 

18 minutes ago, whsalum said:

So now winning a 1st round playoff game is making history?? Lord we have started getting way to loose with the making history stuff. I’m not sure why but at every level of sports we see teams get complacent early in the playoffs. Usually if they are lucky enough to pull out those early playoff victories You see see them play much better as the competition gets tougher. That didn’t happen this time. Bridge City was down by 16 in the second half and refused to quit. You gotta respect that as a fan of the game. Both clubs had a great fan base yesterday and the atmosphere was what makes high school basketball the best ticket in town. 

If that’s never been bettered, then by its very definition, yes.  It was only the second playoff win in school history I believe.  Has nothing to do with being loose with terminology - it was a historic win for the school.    

2 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

If that’s never been bettered, then by its very definition, yes.  It was only the second playoff win in school history I believe.  Has nothing to do with being loose with terminology - it was a historic win for the school.    

History is being watered down. In the days of UIL making money the driving factor it’s not uncommon for a average or in some case well below average team to “ make the playoffs “. A team such as BC that can get hot from behind the arc and can get hot and beat ya.  I’m not ready to call that historic from an accomplishment stand point. Call me old school but I prefer the days when the district champion made the playoffs and everyone else went to the diamond.

57 minutes ago, whsalum said:

History is being watered down. In the days of UIL making money the driving factor it’s not uncommon for a average or in some case well below average team to “ make the playoffs “. A team such as BC that can get hot from behind the arc and can get hot and beat ya.  I’m not ready to call that historic from an accomplishment stand point. Call me old school but I prefer the days when the district champion made the playoffs and everyone else went to the diamond.

Has nothing to do with being old school or not. It either equals or betters the previous top accomplishment, or it doesn’t.  It’s by definition, not opinion. 

1 hour ago, whsalum said:

One thing i will say along those lines has to do with the terms bi district or area champions.  I dont know for sure when these terms came about but i would think from the times of only the district champs making the playoffs. Which would make a first round winner a bi district champion. And put two bi district champions together now they would be area champions.  But now you have such as in this case a 3rd place beating a 2nd place neither one was a champion of their district so how can they be bi distrtict champs!

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Has nothing to do with being old school or not. It either equals or betters the previous top accomplishment, or it doesn’t.  It’s by definition, not opinion. 

It has everything to do with a different time/different place. In years past where you didn’t take 4 teams to the playoffs a good runner up team stayed home. Now days a very average team can make “playoff history “ when in fact there might have been better clubs in “school history “ that didn’t make the “playoffs “.

39 minutes ago, ST413 said:

One thing i will say along those lines has to do with the terms bi district or area champions.  I dont know for sure when these terms came about but i would think from the times of only the district champs making the playoffs. Which would make a first round winner a bi district champion. And put two bi district champions together now they would be area champions.  But now you have such as in this case a 3rd place beating a 2nd place neither one was a champion of their district so how can they be bi distrtict champs!

That’s only partially true. HJ was a co district champion which lost a seeding game and was a # 2 seed. 

49 minutes ago, whsalum said:

It has everything to do with a different time/different place. In years past where you didn’t take 4 teams to the playoffs a good runner up team stayed home. Now days a very average team can make “playoff history “ when in fact there might have been better clubs in “school history “ that didn’t make the “playoffs “.

Lol ok

3 hours ago, whsalum said:

Ok 

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Lol ok

Just for grins I’ll use a Houston Scarborough football team that made school history a few years back when they made the playoffs going 1-9 on the season and 0-4 in their conference. Sometimes we need to dig a little deeper into historical data 😂. I’ve beat this horse to death 😂😂

3 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

Yes things are watered down, but good teams should be able to beat average teams in the playoffs.

Historical victory all depends on what school you're talking about. It won't mean the same for Hardin Jefferson as is does for Bridge City.

BC ain't a bad team. From what I've seen they look decent at the lower classes as well.

I agree, HJ should have beaten BC, not losing any sleep that HJ lost.  BC is a average team ???

22 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

Yes things are watered down, but good teams should be able to beat average teams in the playoffs.

Historical victory all depends on what school you're talking about. It won't mean the same for Hardin Jefferson as is does for Bridge City.

BC ain't a bad team. From what I've seen they look decent at the lower classes as well.

I agree with everything you just said.