CardinalBacker

Racism at it's most definitive.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I have no doubt he does.  But people apparently like his music (I didn’t even know who he was before this).  And I predict he will recover.  In the end, if he can sell records (or I guess if his music is downloaded in this day and age), he will land on his feet.  He’s not okay now, but he will be. 

You’re probably right. I don’t think this is as bad as The Dixie Chicks fiasco.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1
2 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

You know those were peaceful, hence the nomination for a Nobel “Peace” prize for this destructive, racist organization!

And that speaks to the double standard being discussed, look how differently the events in Washington and Portland, Seattle, Atlanta are being dealt with.  One group are seditionists, one group should have a Nobel peace prize.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of racism, have y’all heard about the Black History/Mardi Gras exhibit the kids in Beaumont did.  A lot of art, some showing 2 or 3 Black 1968 Olympians holding up clenched fist.  Some thought they were inappropriate (Black Power) & they were removed.  They have now been restored.   I find it divisive.   What say you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 7:19 PM, Hagar said:

Speaking of racism, have y’all heard about the Black History/Mardi Gras exhibit the kids in Beaumont did.  A lot of art, some showing 2 or 3 Black 1968 Olympians holding up clenched fist.  Some thought they were inappropriate (Black Power) & they were removed.  They have now been restored.   I find it divisive.   What say you?

I don’t have a problem with that type of display. Everyone should be proud of who they are and where they came from, as well as being proud to be American. You should should be proud to be black, brown, white, Southern, Texan, Baptist, queer, or whatever. 

That’s my biggest problem with the BLM movement (besides the looting and violence)... it’s not about uplifting or recognizing black people or their attributes-its about “exposing” perceived slights and imagined insults. Its main focus is on vilifying white people. 
It’s so convenient to blame 4 or 5 generations of horrible personal decisions on someone else.  
If you make a decision to move into Section 8 housing because it’s free or mostly free, then your kids do the same, then their kids do... it’s kinda silly to point out a lack of home ownership as proof of systemic racism. There are thousands of abandoned homes in urban areas that were left because their former occupants would rather live for free in government housing... because that doesn’t require any personal investment of time or money. 
It must be nice to just ignore violent crime statistics and just point at rates of incarceration as “proof” of racism in the criminal justice system. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I don’t have a problem with that type of display. Everyone should be proud of who they are and where they came from, as well as being proud to be American. You should should be proud to be black, brown, white, Southern, Texan, Baptist, queer, or whatever. 

That’s my biggest problem with the BLM movement (besides the looting and violence)... it’s not about uplifting or recognizing black people or their attributes-its about “exposing” perceived slights and imagined insults. Its main focus is on vilifying white people. 
It’s so convenient to blame 4 or 5 generations of horrible personal decisions on someone else.  
If you make a decision to move into Section 8 housing because it’s free or mostly free, then your kids do the same, then their kids do... it’s kinda silly to point out a lack of home ownership as proof of systemic racism. There are thousands of abandoned homes in urban areas that were left because their former occupants would rather live for free in government housing... because that doesn’t require any personal investment of time or money. 
It must be nice to just ignore violent crime statistics and just point at rates of incarceration as “proof” of racism in the criminal justice system. 
 

I was referring to the black clenched fist.  I’m perfectly fine with a display of black history, but the display of the black power sign is divisive, imo.  If a predominately white school did a history display that included the Confederate Flag, it would have to be removed.  Just another example of, “the rules apply to some, but not others”, exactly like Pelosi’s rule that if you bypass the metal detector at Congress you’re fined $5000.   She did, but doesn’t want to pay.  Well folks, the rules are for ALL of us, not just a select few.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hagar said:

I was referring to the black clenched fist.  I’m perfectly fine with a display of black history, but the display of the black power sign is divisive, imo.  If a predominately white school did a history display that included the Confederate Flag, it would have to be removed.  Just another example of, “the rules apply to some, but not others”, exactly like Pelosi’s rule that if you bypass the metal detector at Congress you’re fined $5000.   She did, but doesn’t want to pay.  Well folks, the rules are for ALL of us, not just a select few.  

The clenched fist is worse than Trump’s OK sign. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 6:46 AM, CardinalBacker said:

I don’t have a problem with that type of display. Everyone should be proud of who they are and where they came from, as well as being proud to be American. You should should be proud to be black, brown, white, Southern, Texan, Baptist, queer, or whatever. 

That’s my biggest problem with the BLM movement (besides the looting and violence)... it’s not about uplifting or recognizing black people or their attributes-its about “exposing” perceived slights and imagined insults. Its main focus is on vilifying white people. 
It’s so convenient to blame 4 or 5 generations of horrible personal decisions on someone else.  
If you make a decision to move into Section 8 housing because it’s free or mostly free, then your kids do the same, then their kids do... it’s kinda silly to point out a lack of home ownership as proof of systemic racism. There are thousands of abandoned homes in urban areas that were left because their former occupants would rather live for free in government housing... because that doesn’t require any personal investment of time or money. 
It must be nice to just ignore violent crime statistics and just point at rates of incarceration as “proof” of racism in the criminal justice system. 
 

Oh, I guess three or so centuries being denied the right to own property, much less even to contract to rent it, has nothing to do with a society’s stereotyping. Being denied the right to learn to read for three or so centuries has nothing to do with today’s educational gaps. I could go on.  We ignore the past at our peril. People of all stripes tend to do better when presented with opportunities for rather than obstacles to progress.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Oh, I guess three or so centuries being denied the right to own property, much less even to contract to rent it, has nothing to do with a society’s stereotyping. Being denied the right to learn to read for three or so centuries has nothing to do with today’s educational gaps. I could go on.  We ignore the past at our peril. People of all stripes tend to do better when presented with opportunities for rather than obstacles to progress.

So if reparations ever materialize, and you accept, you will be a sellout just like Kapertwit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UT alum said:

Oh, I guess three or so centuries being denied the right to own property, much less even to contract to rent it, has nothing to do with a society’s stereotyping. Being denied the right to learn to read for three or so centuries has nothing to do with today’s educational gaps. I could go on.  We ignore the past at our peril. People of all stripes tend to do better when presented with opportunities for rather than obstacles to progress.

Woe is me for hundreds of years.  So today’s education gaps, as you call them, are directly attributed to something that occurred 3 centuries ago?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UT alum said:

Oh, I guess three or so centuries being denied the right to own property, much less even to contract to rent it, has nothing to do with a society’s stereotyping. Being denied the right to learn to read for three or so centuries has nothing to do with today’s educational gaps. I could go on.  We ignore the past at our peril. People of all stripes tend to do better when presented with opportunities for rather than obstacles to progress.

Lol.... Which country are you talking about?   Because it's not the United States of America.  Your spew about property ownership is an outright lie. 

"being denied the right to learn" did exist.... for SOME slaves prior to 1865.  And it has nothing to do with a 21% dropout rate in Port Arthur right now...   

You're right... we ignore the past at our peril.  But you refuse to admit that some of us in that community STILL don't value education but you point at "racism" as the reason for the lack of academic success.  Trust me, there are people of all colors who don't get educated and never achieve their potential.  It's just more prevalent in some communities.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I'll give you a hint.... one of them prides itself on not being able to read, right, or speak the King's English because then they'd be "actin' white" .... but then cries because of their "educational gaps."

23 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Lol.... Which country are you talking about?   Because it's not the United States of America.  Your spew about property ownership is an outright lie. 

"being denied the right to learn" did exist.... for SOME slaves prior to 1865.  And it has nothing to do with a 21% dropout rate in Port Arthur right now...   

You're right... we ignore the past at our peril.  But you refuse to admit that some of us in that community STILL don't value education but you point at "racism" as the reason for the lack of academic success.  Trust me, there are people of all colors who don't get educated and never achieve their potential.  It's just more prevalent in some communities.

 

Look pal, I have had conversations with white educators in the Silsbee ISD, now gone but leaders nonetheless who laughed at the way they used to send the worn out athletic gear and outdated books to Waldo when “whitey” was through using them up. This was AFTER separate but equal was established.You can run from it ever how you want to, but you can’t hide from the truth. The history of slavery in this country is the prime mover in why race relations are still so retarded today. Until we answer for the sins of our fathers the curse will remain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, UT alum said:

 

I agree with you that things were HORRIBLE 155 years ago.  They didn't get a lot better after the Civil War, either.  You had decent progress after '64, or so I've read.  I know for a fact that things have gotten a lot better in the short 40 years that I can recall.  I'd dare say that black people have more opportunities and benefits afforded to them than any other race here in America right now.   If they do not choose to take advantage of those opportunities because they'd rather talk about the "old days," I really don't know how to respond... They'll NEVER advance as a group because of the victimhood mentality perpetrated by the left.  

Does systemic racism exist... possibly....  Maybe even probably.  And it accounts for about 2% of the problems faced by the black community today.  Focusing solely on "racism" and "oppression" won't solve a thing for the community, because the problems that AREN'T rooted in racism are still gonna be there.

You mentioned Silsbee.... so I'll ask this.  With all of your talk about "how blacks couldn't own property for 300 years," why are the historically black communities in Silsbee (and any other older city I can think of) littered with abandoned homes?  Drive through Silsbee, West of 96, South of MLK and north of 327.  It's some decent houses, a lot of falling down houses, and tons of old homeplaces.  You can see the same thing on the other side of town, too.  If racism prevented blacks from owning property as you suggest, then how did all of those black-owned properties end up abandoned?  It's EVERYWHERE, and racism didn't cause them to fail to maintain their residences, pay their taxes, or bother to have properly executed wills probated. 

There are tons of problems faced by that community... but racism is the lazy answer. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, UT alum said:

 

To expound, you mentioned "separate but equal," and I assume you know what you're talking about.  Those ideas were made illegal in 1964, and it affected those places where inequalities still existed.  And you're exactly right.... in practically every instance, desegregation meant that black schools were shuttered and nicer facilities were made available to ALL.  But I don't believe that some black kid in the 1940s getting a used football helmet and the fact that his great grandson dropped out of school and got face tattoos in 2021 is attributable to oppression and racism.

ESPECIALLY when Port Arthur ISD has the highest per capita spending in the state of Texas as of a few years ago.  

Those old arguments just don't hold water anymore.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

To expound, you mentioned "separate but equal," and I assume you know what you're talking about.  Those ideas were made illegal in 1964, and it affected those places where inequalities still existed.  And you're exactly right.... in practically every instance, desegregation meant that black schools were shuttered and nicer facilities were made available to ALL.  But I don't believe that some black kid in the 1940s getting a used football helmet and the fact that his great grandson dropped out of school and got face tattoos in 2021 is attributable to oppression and racism.

ESPECIALLY when Port Arthur ISD has the highest per capita spending in the state of Texas as of a few years ago.  

Those old arguments just don't hold water anymore.  

It’s national ethos I’m talking about. The present is always the culmination of all moments leading to it.  I have friends who, at ten, twelve years old would say “I hate n*****s”. They were taught that by their parents and so on back for centuries. That sort of indoctrination does not disappear in a generation or two. It doesn’t disappear without societal intention, and sadly that intention is not prevalent in this country. You can argue the validity of the argument, but you can’t argue the history with any integrity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, UT alum said:

It’s national ethos I’m talking about. The present is always the culmination of all moments leading to it.  I have friends who, at ten, twelve years old would say “I hate n*****s”. They were taught that by their parents and so on back for centuries. That sort of indoctrination does not disappear in a generation or two. It doesn’t disappear without societal intention, and sadly that intention is not prevalent in this country. You can argue the validity of the argument, but you can’t argue the history with any integrity.

I, too, have friends who have taught their kids that all whites are racist, even if they don't realize it.  They use terms like "white privilege" to explain away their own failures as parents, ministers, teachers, leaders, and community voices.  They also teach their kids that because bad things happened here decades ago, the entire country today is rotten and must be destroyed. They tell them that all of life's problems are the result of "racism" and "oppression," but never discuss personal accountability for one's own actions. That sort of indoctrination does not disappear in a generation or two.  And sadly, that intention is not prevalent among the leftists in this country.  

Actually, history can be argued... things are open to interpretation and should be discussed, but the left thinks that their beliefs should be treated as history or as facts when they are nothing more opinions. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t understand why can’t  it be both? There’s never any room for nuance in this subforum and it just blows my mind.. put in your big brain thinking caps

racism very obviously still exists and more apparent now than in recent times, black people get the shaft when it comes to the legal system, etc.. but also, the black community needs to come together (on their own) and address a few major underlying issues including the single parent construct that’s running rampant (not that it’s a black only issue).

 

Back to the topic - imo.. I do find it uncomfortable when white people who have had 0.5 black friends their whole life say the N word, even with an “A”. I’ve had plenty of my black friends call me the N word despite me not being black, because we’re homies and grew up together like that.. I’ve even said it a few times myself in response. But in 2021, things are a bit different and I wouldn’t do the same now.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

I just don’t understand why can’t  it be both? There’s never any room for nuance in this subforum and it just blows my mind.. put in your big brain thinking caps

racism very obviously still exists and more apparent now than in recent times, black people get the shaft when it comes to the legal system, etc.. but also, the black community needs to come together (on their own) and address a few major underlying issues including the single parent construct that’s running rampant (not that it’s a black only issue).

 

Back to the topic - imo.. I do find it uncomfortable when white people who have had 0.5 black friends their whole life say the N word, even with an “A”. I’ve had plenty of my black friends call me the N word despite me not being black, because we’re homies and grew up together like that.. I’ve even said it a few times myself in response. But in 2021, things are a bit different and I wouldn’t do the same now.. 

You bring up a good point.  I'm guilty of that myself.  

  Racism is defined as the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another... and I honestly don't know many people of any shade who feel that way.  My opinion is that racism is much, much less apparent now than in recent times.... but racial animosity is reaching levels that we haven't seen in a long time.  Barriers people faced because of their skin color are just not what they were years ago.  It's to the point that we have to try to find "implied" or "systemic" racism to point out because the good old fashioned variety is long gone.  We point at rates of incarceration or lack of home ownership as somehow indicative of racism, when they are in fact much better indicators of criminal behavior and bad decision making. 

Both sides need to realize that they're being played against each other for political gain.  And you're right... the rates of single parent households are going up on my side, too.  That's probably what bugged me the most about the unrest over this past summer.  So much of our nation rose up and demanded to do something about... but not about the real problem(s).  It's not politically correct to talk about the senseless loss of 4-5000 young black lives each year, but we focus on the dozen or less annually that are killed by the hand of police and demand change.  

Our world is just mixed up.  You have people that say the N-word all of the time, but feel as if others should be punished for saying it.  It doesn't get any more hypocritical than that.  If it's offensive, then it's offensive.  Don't give me that "term of endearment" BS because every video of a black on black fight has that slur sprinkled throughout it-and their actions don't seem very endearing.  If black people were bothered by that word, they'd stop saying it.  Period.  I refuse to pretend that the emperor has clothes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Member Statistics

    42,606
    Total Members
    1,837
    Most Online
    John B. Launius
    Newest Member
    John B. Launius
    Joined



×
  • Create New...