Congrats to Brian Johnson, Baytown Lee graduate.....

Hoopster-007

On 1/29/2021 at 12:05 PM, kenny powers said:

Thats awesome. It's amazing what Dick Olin did for that kid. Recruited out of Crosby to a successful high school career parlayed into a heck of a nice coaching career. 

I don’t think Olin did anything different than he did for Stoerner, Alfred or Tate. Brian transferred because when Crosby hired Haynes he brought his some Kellen who Brian couldn’t beat out at the time. If Brian hadn’t gotten moved up his freshman year then I think he stays at Crosby and sits behind Haynes. Kellen went on to throw for over 4K yards in just 12 games that year and Brian transferred to Lee and sat behind Drew Tate until he could start his senior year. Hated to lose a kid like that who would’ve been a solid contributor to the program. 

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I don’t think Olin did anything different than he did for Stoerner, Alfred or Tate. Brian transferred because when Crosby hired Haynes he brought his some Kellen who Brian couldn’t beat out at the time. If Brian hadn’t gotten moved up his freshman year then I think he stays at Crosby and sits behind Haynes. Kellen went on to throw for over 4K yards in just 12 games that year and Brian transferred to Lee and sat behind Drew Tate until he could start his senior year. Hated to lose a kid like that who would’ve been a solid contributor to the program. 

I remember Kellen. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Exactly lol....what he did for jermaine, clint and drew was change their lives...IF Olin hadnt been their coach they wouldnt have been what they were either. The difference is they were at least Baytown boys.  Jermaine was DE until Olin arrived. Clint was a WR and Drew was a puny ball boy.  Had Olin been at say Sterling instead of REL I think we would be saying a different group of names which is my point. Olin was a head of his time and made a huge difference in not only those kids careers but many others at REL. They were horrible before he arrived.