Same teams over and over

Guest mrtomcat

4 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

When was the last time a coach stayed at Warren for 5-7 years and did the program show any improvement during his stay? I don’t think you can expect to go from 1-9 to 10-0 in one year or even 5 years in most cases. 

There aren't that many elite coaches out there.  So this doesn't surprise me.   Again, just haven't got the right coach!

5 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

Kevin Barbay - two seasons (0-20) ----- Coaches at Central Michigan University so I am sure he knows what he is doing if you ask his peers

Chris Babin went 1-9 in 2014 ---- Babin has won his fair share of games

Ramsey only coached at Warren, if my memory serves me right

Wayne McKeller ----only coached at Warren 

Moye --- only coached at Warren

Wortham --- won some games in Houston Klein (no deep playoff runs) before coming to Warren in the 60's - 70's

Lowrance ---won a few games at Rogers before getting his butt handed to him in Warren prior to that

AND our legendary most winning coach of all time -- MG Fabriguez won a bunch here in the 50's - no playoff games but then his career went down after he left for West Hardin and Corrigan Camden

No elite coach (my yard stick) in the bunch.  AGAIN, one has to earn it.  So, yeah, according to this list, I'm not surprised Warren hasn't done anything yet.

5 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Honest question:  So, the athletes only showed up during Harper's time?  

That’s the way it seems because they definitely don’t have those type of athletes now. It happens all the time for different reasons. At a small school like that playing 6 man football all it takes is a family with a couple athletes to move into town. 2 or 3 siblings and boom you have a totally different team. 

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

There aren't that many elite coaches out there.  So this doesn't surprise me.   Again, just haven't got the right coach!

Could it be that “elite” coaches or coaches with “elite” potential don’t take that job because they know who is walking the halls? 

17 hours ago, Whoa said:

Warren has 0 interest in doing anything but the same thing.  over,over,over,over  and over.  I don't know that they ever won anything - Championship wise???  Only good thing in WCISD is Fred Elementary  and a handful of teacher/coaches and students that have a clue

You are one

WCISD??

Guest mrtomcat
16 hours ago, Byrdiug said:

Could it be that “elite” coaches or coaches with “elite” potential don’t take that job because they know who is walking the halls? 

That is THE WHOLE logic behind my thoughts on PLAYERS over COACHES.  If you aint got 'em ----- you aint gonna get'em

17 hours ago, Byrdiug said:

You are right about one thing:  An elite coach will not take a job at Warren.  But -- Warren is the type of school that could make someone an elite coach.   Scott Surratt was not an elite coach before going to Carthage.  Art Briles was not an elite coach before going to Stephenville.  Do a little research on how tough it was at Stephenville before Briles got there.   They were being dominated by Brownwood.  It took him 6-7 to bring that team were they needed to be to compete.  Again -- what was the difference you ask?  The coach!!  It's a process.  One either has the ability to do it or not.  It's tough.  That's why there aren't that many elite coaches!    As always, just my opinion!

Guest mrtomcat
On 2/13/2021 at 10:25 PM, Reagan said:

So, why is always a certain set of coaches always "got'em?"  

you mean why does the same community always have them.......? DNA most likely

On 2/18/2021 at 8:50 PM, Reagan said:

Apparently you haven't been paying attention to my examples.  Do I need to show them again?

Still waiting for your answer to me as well.  Tom Westerberg won 4 state titles.. including 3 in a row.  

So.  When will Westerberg win his next one?  Or is he not an elite coach anymore?

5 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Still waiting for your answer to me as well.  Tom Westerberg won 4 state titles.. including 3 in a row.  

So.  When will Westerberg win his next one?  Or is he not an elite coach anymore?

And also does that mean that CT at WOS is no longer an elite coach , because Silsbee improved and a power house 4a 1 team ( Carthage ) moved into Region 3, 4a div 2, and prob will not go back to a state title until Carthage moves back up or gets put in region 2.

25 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

You can win a state championship without an elite coach.

But you are not even winning a District championship without a couple elite players.

Your thoughts on this:  At Carthage, 84 prior years and 20 different coaches, nothing, not one Title.  The next coach up, S. Surrett, comes in and proceeds to win 8 Titles.  We'll just stick with this one example.  Explain this.

41 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Your thoughts on this:  At Carthage, 84 prior years and 20 different coaches, nothing, not one Title.  The next coach up, S. Surrett, comes in and proceeds to win 8 Titles.  We'll just stick with this one example.  Explain this.

There are many more factors than just the coach.  I will say this.. Carthage had 8 football players sign on national signing day.  That's also a factor.  Community support is a factor.  Facilities is a factor.  Assistant coaching is a factor (both number of and ability).

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

That one is easy.

Carthage has always had athletes, but not enough to win it all without elite coaching. They won district championships and even made deep runs with good coaching. When they got the elite coach, they started winning Championships.

Some places have enough elite athletes to overcome mediocre coaching and still win it all.

But, I will say it again. You are not even winning a district championship without a few great athletes.

Guest mrtomcat
15 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

That one is easy.

Carthage has always had athletes, but not enough to win it all without elite coaching. They won district championships and even made deep runs with good coaching. When they got the elite coach, they started winning Championships.

Some places have enough elite athletes to overcome mediocre coaching and still win it all.

But, I will say it again. You are not even winning a district championship without a few great athletes.

agreed

On 2/24/2021 at 2:03 PM, Reagan said:

Really cant explain other than the right person in the right place at the right time. Kinda like the guy that walks into a store on a certain day and buys the winning lottery ticket . On a serious note , its a puzzle with a lot of pieces , and sometimes it all comes together, and most times it don't, thats why most dont make it to Jerry world.