Same teams over and over

Guest mrtomcat

17 hours ago, Setx fan said:

Talent, will to win, and good coaching make good teams. All that other community wealth, community support, and tradition or whatever helps but it does no good if you don’t at least have a couple talented players and a good coach. At the bigger schools it’s more about coaching. I say that because I think it would be hard to find a school with 2000 plus students and no talent. At the smaller schools it’s more about the players. I say that because there are probably a lot of schools with 200-400 students who regularly have close to 0 talent and no coach would be able to change that. Either way if your goal is to win championships you need talent, will to win, and good coaching. 

That’s a pretty good summation. Definitely coaching is an integral component. 

Its coaching !! I say it all the time. The coaches in our area hasn't caught up to them yet. For one thing the game of football is won at the line of scrimmage.and no matter what.offense win games and defense wins championship. Those coaches know how to adjust on both sides of the ball.they might run the same key plays but it might be out of a different formation.and not only that those coaches play not to lose.its always all out. And until the coaches in our area see this.i can't see no team in our area winning a state title no time soon.

Edited by dj

36 minutes ago, dj said:

Its coaching !! I say it all the time. The coaches in our area hasn't caught up to them yet. For one thing the game of football is won at the line of scrimmage.and no matter what.offense win games and defense wins championship. Those coaches know how to adjust on both sides of the ball.they might run the same key plays but it might be out of a different formation.and not only that those coaches play not to lose.its always all out. And until the coaches in our area see this.i can't see no team in our area winning a state title no time soon.

There's a coach currently in this area that won a state championship multiple times at the highest level in the state.  When can we expect a state title from him?  Since it's all about coaching I mean...

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

There's a coach currently in this area that won a state championship multiple times at the highest level in the state.  When can we expect a state title from him?  Since it's all about coaching I mean...

Nothing is 100%.  Has this individual retired yet?  If this individual doesn't win another one, he's already "earned" his elite status.  How about Tod Dodge?!  Won Titles at SL Carroll and changed schools and has already won 2 Titles at Westlake.  

30 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Nothing is 100%.  Has this individual retired yet?  If this individual doesn't win another one, he's already "earned" his elite status.  How about Tod Dodge?!  Won Titles at SL Carroll and changed schools and has already won 2 Titles at Westlake.  

Tod Dodge is without question a legend in the coaching world.  This year beating his son in the title game is up there with one of the better stories in the coaching world.  I will also include that neither Southlake Carrol nor Austin Westlake were strangers to success before he took the helm.  There are affluent areas of the state currently that just have a better environment for building that kind of success.  Will it change?  Eventually, as does with every time it occurs.   Could Tod Dodge leave Austin Westlake right now for Travis High School and win a state title within the next 5 years?  The schools are like 20 minutes apart..  Spoiler Alert:  He couldn't.  That's kind of what I'm talking about.. it takes more than just coaching.  

Yes, this individual is still coaching.  You're avoiding the question that I asked.. someone else, btw.  "Earning" an elite status doesn't change it.  Are you assuming that once a coach reaches that status then it's ok if they never get close again?  Seems contradictory to me.

56 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Tod Dodge is without question a legend in the coaching world.  This year beating his son in the title game is up there with one of the better stories in the coaching world.  I will also include that neither Southlake Carrol nor Austin Westlake were strangers to success before he took the helm.  There are affluent areas of the state currently that just have a better environment for building that kind of success.  Will it change?  Eventually, as does with every time it occurs.   Could Tod Dodge leave Austin Westlake right now for Travis High School and win a state title within the next 5 years?  The schools are like 20 minutes apart..  Spoiler Alert:  He couldn't.  That's kind of what I'm talking about.. it takes more than just coaching.  

Yes, this individual is still coaching.  You're avoiding the question that I asked.. someone else, btw.  "Earning" an elite status doesn't change it.  Are you assuming that once a coach reaches that status then it's ok if they never get close again?  Seems contradictory to me.

Once you've earned it how can it be taken away?  One earns it by doing.  How can one undo it?   Majority of the coaches go through their entire life and never even get a sniff of the big dance.  The elite coaching fraternity is quite small.  But, again, you have to earn it.  Just like the Hall Of Fame.  One gets there because they "earned" it.  

Tod Dodge?  He's won at two different schools.  How do you know he couldn't win at another school?  There are a lot of presumptions on your part.  

18 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Once you've earned it how can it be taken away?  One earns it by doing.  How can one undo it?   Majority of the coaches go through their entire life and never even get a sniff of the big dance.  The elite coaching fraternity is quite small.  But, again, you have to earn it.  Just like the Hall Of Fame.  One gets there because they "earned" it.  

Tod Dodge?  He's won at two different schools.  How do you know he couldn't win at another school?  There are a lot of presumptions on your part.  

If a coach wins it all.. and then later in his/her career does anything at all that isn't agreed with by the fans, they'll forget.  Even Tod Dodge left Carrol and was let go from his next job for going like 1-19 over two years.  Trust me, there are plenty of coaches that may have been lucky enough to "get a sniff of the big dance" that may have later been ostracized for "underperforming".  

And I didn't say he couldn't win at another school.. I said he wouldn't win one at Travis High School.  Just like the countless other schools that wouldn't win with their current circumstances with any coach.  I'm not taking away from anyone.. just being realistic.  

8 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

If a coach wins it all.. and then later in his/her career does anything at all that isn't agreed with by the fans, they'll forget.  Even Tod Dodge left Carrol and was let go from his next job for going like 1-19 over two years.  Trust me, there are plenty of coaches that may have been lucky enough to "get a sniff of the big dance" that may have later been ostracized for "underperforming".  

And I didn't say he couldn't win at another school.. I said he wouldn't win one at Travis High School.  Just like the countless other schools that wouldn't win with their current circumstances with any coach.  I'm not taking away from anyone.. just being realistic.  

I beg to differ, my friend.  Presumptions are not reality.

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Didnt dodge struggle at marble falls? Cause they had no athletes thats why, among other things? What happened to Rhoades at GP? 

10 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

And those 4 titles. Once again dominant at the line of scrimmage.those 4 titles. And they also have loss some too.let me help u.89,00,14,17. Those yrs they didn't dominant the line of scrimmage.teams like aledo,carthage,westlake,,argyle, will be there again.not only do they dominant u up front. They will try to score 60 on u. Right now teams in our area aren't there yet.

15 hours ago, dj said:

And those 4 titles. Once again dominant at the line of scrimmage.those 4 titles. And they also have loss some too.let me help u.89,00,14,17. Those yrs they didn't dominant the line of scrimmage.teams like aledo,carthage,westlake,,argyle, will be there again.not only do they dominant u up front. They will try to score 60 on u. Right now teams in our area aren't there yet.

Dominant at the line of scrimmage?  Yeah I guess.. don't forget, also had the most prolific high school quarterback that the state of Texas has ever seen.  Currently starting in the NFL.

Guest mrtomcat

A lot of you people need to live in a community like Warren where you go through 23 different AD's and have essentially the same result in football since 1950.  All 23 were terrible, or we just dont have the athletes, facility, culture to win that we need to be worth a toot ?  

70 years folks.  70 years.  

27 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

A lot of you people need to live in a community like Warren where you go through 23 different AD's and have essentially the same result in football since 1950.  All 23 were terrible, or we just dont have the athletes, facility, culture to win that we need to be worth a toot ?  

70 years folks.  70 years.  

Get a better coach that can bring the athletes and facilities and culture to blossoming fruition. 

28 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Get a better coach that can bring the athletes and facilities and culture to blossoming fruition. 

Warren has 0 interest in doing anything but the same thing.  over,over,over,over  and over.  I don't know that they ever won anything - Championship wise???  Only good thing in WCISD is Fred Elementary  and a handful of teacher/coaches and students that have a clue

You are one

9 minutes ago, Whoa said:

Warren has 0 interest in doing anything but the same thing.  over,over,over,over  and over.  I don't know that they ever won anything - Championship wise???  Only good thing in WCISD is Fred Elementary  and a handful of teacher/coaches and students that have a clue

You are one

Places like Warren and Buna, and other places, are ripe for a coach ( the right coach) to come in and make a name for himself by eventually winning championships.  Once the winning starts, everything else falls into place.  Is it going to happen on day one?  No.  Is it going to be easy?  No.   But, the "right" coach will end up making a difference.  Example:  Burkeville:  Any different than Warren or Buna?  They got the right coach and they won 2 Titles.  It took Harper 10 years.  But he eventually got it done.  So, again, what's the difference?

Guest mrtomcat
42 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Places like Warren and Buna, and other places, are ripe for a coach ( the right coach) to come in and make a name for himself by eventually winning championships.  Once the winning starts, everything else falls into place.  Is it going to happen on day one?  No.  Is it going to be easy?  No.   But, the "right" coach will end up making a difference.  Example:  Burkeville:  Any different than Warren or Buna?  They got the right coach and they won 2 Titles.  It took Harper 10 years.  But he eventually got it done.  So, again, what's the difference?

58 minutes ago, Whoa said:

You are one

58 minutes ago, Whoa said:

You are one

Warren has had several (of the 23 ad's) that stayed 5-7 years and NEVER won anything.  It's not the coach folks.  Thats what you guys are missing on.

We dont have the jimmy and joe's and never will.   We have played in the wrong classification for many decades as well, due to district outline.

4 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

Warren has had several (of the 23 ad's) that stayed 5-7 years and NEVER won anything.  It's not the coach folks.  Thats what you guys are missing on.

We dont have the jimmy and joe's and never will.   We have played in the wrong classification for many decades as well, due to district outline.

Without me even looking:  has any of the head coaches at Warren ever gone on to become elite head coaches elsewhere?  

5 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

The coach plays a huge part in it.  You started this thread with a bunch of questions asking people's opinions, and have now spent 4 pages refuting those opinions while trying to insist everyone agree with your own.  I'm not really sure why i took the time to read through the thread, to be honest.  

Guest mrtomcat
27 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

The coach plays a huge part in it.  You started this thread with a bunch of questions asking people's opinions, and have now spent 4 pages refuting those opinions while trying to insist everyone agree with your own.  I'm not really sure why i took the time to read through the thread, to be honest.  

Here's what you can do.........move around

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Buna isn’t exactly a powerhouse but Buna’s program is in a lot better shape than Warren’s.  Burkeville had athletes 10 times better than their opponents during that run. 

51 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

When was the last time a coach stayed at Warren for 5-7 years and did the program show any improvement during his stay? I don’t think you can expect to go from 1-9 to 10-0 in one year or even 5 years in most cases. 

Guest mrtomcat

Kevin Barbay - two seasons (0-20) ----- Coaches at Central Michigan University so I am sure he knows what he is doing if you ask his peers

Chris Babin went 1-9 in 2014 ---- Babin has won his fair share of games

Ramsey only coached at Warren, if my memory serves me right

Wayne McKeller ----only coached at Warren 

Moye --- only coached at Warren

Wortham --- won some games in Houston Klein (no deep playoff runs) before coming to Warren in the 60's - 70's

Lowrance ---won a few games at Rogers before getting his butt handed to him in Warren prior to that

AND our legendary most winning coach of all time -- MG Fabriguez won a bunch here in the 50's - no playoff games but then his career went down after he left for West Hardin and Corrigan Camden

Guest mrtomcat
1 minute ago, Setx fan said:

When was the last time a coach stayed at Warren for 5-7 years and did the program show any improvement during his stay? I don’t think you can expect to go from 1-9 to 10-0 in one year or even 5 years in most cases. 

Ramsey and Buckner both over 6/7 seasons