Same teams over and over

Guest mrtomcat

Here lately, I have heard several people tell me "its the same teams over and over".  Perhaps, there is some truth to that.

My questions is, what would it take to break that mold?  Who is winning lately, that never won before?  Say, in the last 10 years?

What is it about those winning communities that permit them to continue on in success?  Some will say........its facilities.  I agree.

But they were winning before they had the facility and now they continue to win with it as well.

Is it culture?  Is it expectation?  Is it socioeconomical backgrounds?  Is it in their dna ?

Tom Brady continues to do it at the highest level.   Alabama continues to do it at the second to highest level.

Carthage, Aledo, NS, Katy and Westlake continue to do it at the HS levels.  Why just them and no outsiders?

15 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

Here lately, I have heard several people tell me "its the same teams over and over".  Perhaps, there is some truth to that.

My questions is, what would it take to break that mold?  Who is winning lately, that never won before?  Say, in the last 10 years?

What is it about those winning communities that permit them to continue on in success?  Some will say........its facilities.  I agree.

But they were winning before they had the facility and now they continue to win with it as well.

Is it culture?  Is it expectation?  Is it socioeconomical backgrounds?  Is it in their dna ?

Tom Brady continues to do it at the highest level.   Alabama continues to do it at the second to highest level.

Carthage, Aledo, NS, Katy and Westlake continue to do it at the HS levels.  Why just them and no outsiders?

Culture and DNA in my opinion

21 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

Coaching!  Of the last 4 games to be played for the State Championship, 3 had elite coaches.  And all 3 elite coaches won by fairly big margins.  

16 minutes ago, BlackShirts5 said:

Coaching is Huge. The Coach has to be able to build a culture to keep the kids.  

But, if you don't have the community to support the coach, then what good is an elite coach?   If you dont have kids invested, what good does an elite coach do?  If you dont have the jimmy and joe's, what good does an elite coach do?  The coaching is about 8th on my list.  I'm not saying my list is right, but there's a lot of things that have to line up, before the coach can do anything to and with a progarm.

4 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

But, if you don't have the community to support the coach, then what good is an elite coach?   If you dont have kids invested, what good does an elite coach do?  If you dont have the jimmy and joe's, what good does an elite coach do?  The coaching is about 8th on my list.  I'm not saying my list is right, but there's a lot of things that have to line up, before the coach can do anything to and with a progarm.

Elite Coaches bring Elite talent. Elite talent wins some games. Winning some games brings more talent and breeds competition.  By competing you weed out the week and build depth.  Jimmies and Joes will come with Elite Coaching.

Just my opinion. Doesn't count for a thing.

28 minutes ago, BlackShirts5 said:

You are right there.  Crosby attracted there Star from a school down the street.  Winning breeds talent and move ins as well as keeping the talent you have coming up.

We sure do appreciate it too. Do y’all have anything else in GCCISD we can bring up from the farm league? Looking for a couple of linemen and a receiver for next year. 

7 minutes ago, BlackShirts5 said:

Elite Coaches bring Elite talent. Elite talent wins some games. Winning some games brings more talent and breeds competition.  By competing you weed out the week and build depth.  Jimmies and Joes will come with Elite Coaching.

Just my opinion. Doesn't count for a thing.

By this theory, Belichick can win the 3A D2 championship at Warren...........within 5 years?

I won't hold my breath 

30 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

So what are the top 7 over an elite coaching staff (this should be interesting)?

11 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

So what are the top 7 over an elite coaching staff (this should be interesting)?

Not in any order.

1.  parents who give a dam

2. kids who give a dam

3. kids that can compete at a high level, multiple sport (athletes)

4. culture - the expectation to win whether it be driven from the parents and ISD and or both

5. SUPT - who will stay out of the way and hire great teachers, staff and admin around him 

6. facility must be above avg - growing, improving and somebody who can drive weight lifting / speed training 

7.  affordable housing / apartment  / multiple 7-11's / community must be wet ------and major interstate within 5-10 miles of ISD

26 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

By this theory, Belichick can win the 3A D2 championship at Warren...........within 5 years?

I won't hold my breath 

Nobody is winning titles without overall talent near the top of your classification. Nowhere was that more apparent in the title games than Cedar Park vs Denton Ryan. State title winning coach with his best team ever gets destroyed by just a way more talented DR team. 

Crosby was talented enough across the board to make it to the title game. Aledo had multiple SEC kids on the team along with several other D1 recruits. Probably 11 total. We could’ve switched coaches and we would’ve still gotten stomped. Yeah, the coaching is great but out of a 2% black population at their school the fact that 40% percent of them end up as D1 recruits is what has their program where it is. 

To further expand upon that look at Barbers Hill. They have a head coach with multiple state titles, the necessary funding and still struggle to finish above third place in district play because of their talent. Same story can be said for TW’s predecessor who showed up at BH with two 5A/6A titles and got run off/retired. 

Weird how all the elite coaches coach at places with either elite money or elite talent. 

39 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

Not in any order.

1.  parents who give a dam

2. kids who give a dam

3. kids that can compete at a high level, multiple sport (athletes)

4. culture - the expectation to win whether it be driven from the parents and ISD and or both

5. SUPT - who will stay out of the way and hire great teachers, staff and admin around him 

6. facility must be above avg - growing, improving and somebody who can drive weight lifting / speed training 

7.  affordable housing / apartment  / multiple 7-11's / community must be wet ------and major interstate within 5-10 miles of ISD

1-4, 6 are the responsibility of the elite coach. 

1 hour ago, mrtomcat said:

I won't hold my breath 

Check a little history.  Brownwood, before Gordon Wood arrived, could have been the Warren of their day.  Mr. Woods first year wins the first of 7 State Titles.  Not one before him, not one after.   If it isn't the coaching, then why hasn't Brownwood won one since Woods left?  Why do you think that is.   Also take a look at Stephenville.  Before Art Briles, they were probably a little worst off than before Woods got to Brownwood.  So they, more than Brownwood could have been the Warren of their day.  It took Briles 6 years to win his first of 4 State Titles.  3 of those were 16-0 seasons and the other one was 15-1.   Stephenville never won a State Title before Briles, but has only won one since he left.

I've given you facts.  You have stated assumptions.  Based on what Belichick has done in the past, he probably could.  Within 5 years, maybe, maybe not.  But, he could be like Gordon Woods and do it in 1 year or be like Art Briles and do it in 6 years.

40 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Nobody is winning titles without overall talent near the top of your classification. Nowhere was that more apparent in the title games than Cedar Park vs Denton Ryan. State title winning coach with his best team ever gets destroyed by just a way more talented DR team. 

Crosby was talented enough across the board to make it to the title game. Aledo had multiple SEC kids on the team along with several other D1 recruits. Probably 11 total. We could’ve switched coaches and we would’ve still gotten stomped. Yeah, the coaching is great but out of a 2% black population at their school the fact that 40% percent of them end up as D1 recruits is what has their program where it is. 

To further expand upon that look at Barbers Hill. They have a head coach with multiple state titles, the necessary funding and still struggle to finish above third place in district play because of their talent. Same story can be said for TW’s predecessor who showed up at BH with two 5A/6A titles and got run off/retired. 

Weird how all the elite coaches coach at places with either elite money or elite talent. 

What came first -- the chicken or the egg?