Hardin-Jefferson 118 Hamshire-Fannett 10/FINAL

WOSgrad

• WOSgrad changed the title to Hamshire-Fannett at Hardin-Jefferson/Post updates here!
  • WOSgrad changed the title to Hardin-Jefferson 118 Hamshire-Fannett 10/FINAL
58 minutes ago, bljnhjs19 said:

Will the HJ coach end up getting in trouble with the UIL for beat teams by 108 points? Some of their scores have been kind of ridiculous. I they are good, but beating teams that bad is a bit crazy

HJ girls should not be shamed for practicing hard, and putting their all into their program. They give 115% all the time. They do not try to run up the scores in the games, they just execute what they do in practice. Shoot, 90% of the district games have had a running clock! Play hard. Work harder. Be humble. CHECK. CHECK. AND CHECK for the lady hawks. ITS ALWAYS A GREAT DAY TO BE A HAWK! Go Lady Hawks!

58 minutes ago, bljnhjs19 said:

Will the HJ coach end up getting in trouble with the UIL for beat teams by 108 points? Some of their scores have been kind of ridiculous. I they are good, but beating teams that bad is a bit crazy

What are they supposed to do?  Play four corners for 3+ quarters?

You don't want them scoring? Stop them!

Calm down people. I wasn’t questioning the girls’ work ethic of if they are being bullies. No reason to get upset. I asked the question because I know a HJ basketball coach got in trouble with the UIL in the early 90s for the same thing. I get it. Your daughter and her friends play hard and they are really good and the teams you are playing are not. 

43 minutes ago, bljnhjs19 said:

Calm down people. I wasn’t questioning the girls’ work ethic of if they are being bullies. No reason to get upset. I asked the question because I know a HJ basketball coach got in trouble with the UIL in the early 90s for the same thing. I get it. Your daughter and her friends play hard and they are really good and the teams you are playing are not. 

Huh? I don't have a daughter and, with the exception of one time last year when I took a short cut on the way to Conroe, have never been in Sour Lake.

My question is legit.  If what Coach Fogo is doing now could get him in trouble, what should he do different going forward? 

As far as I know, there are no UIL rules which indicate a coach must keep scoring down and my understanding is that several HJ games have ended with a running clock. 

One year I was coaching boys basketball and our freshman team was not very good. We had zero A team players from JH and our second best player had not played since he was seven. However, we played extremely hard. There were two games we played that year and I didn't know if we were going to score before halftime. We had trouble breaking the press, and when we did couldn't make a shot. Never did I expect the other team, at any point in the game, to start playing different. It was our job to break the press and make a shot. It was not their job to stop playing the way that they play. Even when their subs came in, those young men needed to play the same way the starters did. 

I've never understood why people expect the other team to just stop playing. I have been a part of volleyball scores 25-1, 25-2 (both sides of this score), and no one ever expected the volleyball team that was winning to stop attacking the ball. No one expected them to just start sending free balls to give the other team a chance. You have to perfect what you do and Coach Fogo is preparing his girls to play four quarters. If he pulled his starters and stalled once his girls were up big they would only play 1-2 quarters nearly every game. You can't get in game shape that way and that will possibly come back and hurt him in the playoffs when the girls have to play a hard four quarters. 

I don't see any problem with teams winning big as long as there isn't showboating and gloating going on. As long as they are playing hard, coached hard, and trying to perfect their game I'm okay with it. I coached HF's current girls basketball coach in volleyball and track. She was a very good player and is a very good coach. I promise you she isn't upset about the score. She wants her girls to get better every second and face tough competition. That's why she scheduled HJ in a non-district match-up as well :)

Anyway...just my thoughts since I have been around both of these coaches for 15 years.

Quick question......would we be even debating this if this was a boys team?  What these girls are doing is AMAZING!  Averaging almost 100 ppg (1st in the USA)  getting about 90 possesions a game!  5 players are averaging double digits, they are averaging almost 25 assists a game while only committing about 13-15 TO's a game.  WOW!  The grind is real over there at HJ and they start them young.  You cant call yourself a basketball fan and not applaud what these young ladies are doing.  Now if they dont finish the deal, then we will have something to talk about!  In the meantime lets keep it moving.

This is the hidden content, please

From Page 8 of the above listed manual:

5. Authorizing use of a running clock when specified point differential is reached. • The UIL rules prohibits the running of a clock when a specified point differential is reached.

Are there rules or not? If people aren't satisfied with the rules that are in place, then go through the process of officially changing the rules. If there is a specific rule at the specific district level, then someone please let me know that, but that seems problematic since the rules of UIL should be followed uniformly by ALL schools participating in the state of Texas.

I observed a game earlier this year (not an HJ game) where coach lobbied the refs who then asked the other coach to make the second half of the game running clock, so he could get his team on the bus and out of town earlier due to the fact that it was almost a 40pt differential at half (not in their favor). Now a couple years prior, i watched the same coach, coaching against the same team (that at that time was very over-matched), not let up or ask the refs to show mercy on the other team, they were playing the game "buzzer to buzzer". Kind of confusing, coaches know the rules, one would think but everyone ultimately talks out of both sides of their mouths its seems.

Using this logic, when a player gets to five fouls, all a coach has to do is say "I'm not going to follow the foul rule because I don't want to" and keep his/her player in. The precedent has been set of disregarding other hard coded rules, so why does anyone have to listen to anything?

If a coach is going to throw in the towel on his players mid game, why not just forfeit the game before it starts, that way you only lose 2-0, right?

2 hours ago, $$Buckets$$ said:

Quick question......would we be even debating this if this was a boys team?  What these girls are doing is AMAZING!  Averaging almost 100 ppg (1st in the USA)  getting about 90 possesions a game!  5 players are averaging double digits, they are averaging almost 25 assists a game while only committing about 13-15 TO's a game.  WOW!  The grind is real over there at HJ and they start them young.  You cant call yourself a basketball fan and not applaud what these young ladies are doing.  Now if they dont finish the deal, then we will have something to talk about!  In the meantime lets keep it moving.

If any improvement needs to be made it would be to get that below 10

I love the score being how it is. This is what builds winning programs that are feared year in and year out. These kind of Ls are remembered in the following years. They are already defeated before they step foot in the court. WOS does it in football (beating teams by 50 if they can every year). If you don’t want to get beat by 100 be better. Don’t be soft.