Silsbee 37 Little Cypress-Mauriceville 68/FINAL

1 minute ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I was talking about just the brackets.  Not downplaying district championships at all.  But to me, losing to Yates in the second round and losing to Yates in the 4th round is the same to me.  I do, however, understand your logic.  

But the way it’s set up now with teams either having to forfeit or play with a sun varsity squad, it truelyvos to them point where a district title would be watered down, Silsbee’s district in particular.  At this point, just make the playoffs.  If there is any quarantining that needs to happen you have a whole week from the last district game and the first playoff game.  

Silsbee lost to Life Waxahachie in 4th round last year.

18 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

My point is this:

When looking at someone's record (both team and coach) how deep one advances in the playoffs is important to many. Getting to a regional tourney is a goal for many teams. How you got there really doesn't matter to the masses. For example:

Last year, Hardin-Jefferson and Silsbee split their games in district with each team winning at home. Silsbee won the seed game in overtime. I truly believe if those two teams played 10 games they would split 5-5. They were as evenly matched as any team could be. Silsbee just had the best player (Bush). So, Silsbee gets the #1 seed, HJ #2. Silsbee (because they were the #1 seed) had a more favorable bracket and advanced to the regional tourney. HJ was beaten by Yates in 2nd round. Had the roles been reversed, Silsbee would have lost in 2nd round and HJ would have advanced to regional tourney. Advancing 4 rounds instead of 2 looks much better on a coach and team resume. Trust me, lot's of coaches and just about every fan would agree.

Silsbee has advanced to the regional tourney 6 straight years now ( 12 of the last 16 years). That's a resume that not many in the entire state can boast about. Silsbee has had some incredible teams through those years but some of that success has to do with the playoff route. An honest coach would agree. There's a reason why many coaches look at the bracket layout. It's been known that some coaches concede seeding just for that fact.

I'm old school. I put lot's of emphasis on winning district championships. I would want my team to do what they could to win a district title. The odds are, the higher the seed, the better chance you have of advancing deep in the playoffs.

+1000!

May I also add that with a team as young as Silsbee, they will likely get better each and every round of the playoffs.  Some of their best players have never even experienced playing in a playoff game.  So hypothetically, playing a Yates in round 2 vs round 4 or 5 could make a huge difference in potential outcomes as well.  

4 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

+1000!

May I also add that with a team as young as Silsbee, they will likely get better each and every round of the playoffs.  Some of their best players have never even experienced playing in a playoff game.  So hypothetically, playing a Yates in round 2 vs round 4 or 5 could make a huge difference in potential outcomes as well.  

I don’t share that logic. 🤷🏾‍♂️

3 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I don’t share that logic. 🤷🏾‍♂️

You don’t share the logic that a freshman star who has never played in a playoff game wouldn’t likely play better as he gets more experience?  I’m not sure the opposing view has any logic involved in it.

Edit:  which is to say, while my theory isn’t an absolute, it certainly would be a logical conclusion.  

11 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

You don’t share the logic that a freshman star who has never played in a playoff game wouldn’t likely play better as he gets more experience?  I’m not sure the opposing view has any logic involved in it.

Edit:  which is to say, while my theory isn’t an absolute, it certainly would be a logical conclusion.  

Most coaches would rather face the tougher team in the later rounds than right off the bat. I have seen many a team "grow up" during the playoffs.