Silsbee 37 Little Cypress-Mauriceville 68/FINAL

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

I dont agree with that one bit. 

I would love to know who came up with this plan and the rationale behind it.  My experience has been that when you see a decision so devoid of logic you can’t begin to comprehend it, the answer is almost invariably laziness. 

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I would love to know who came up with this plan and the rationale behind it.  My experience has been that when you see a decision so devoid of logic you can’t begin to comprehend it, the answer is almost invariably laziness. 

I agree. I believe this is the only district that is handling the Covid thing this way. All other districts are adjusting the schedules to allow teams to play the games with as much a varsity team as possible.

This may not hurt Silsbee overall but some teams were counting on a loss by LC-M to Silsbee like everybody else has.

21 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

No I’m not counting  that. 

I seem to recall a game where Harley completely controlled the tempo and the game ended in a one basket win with both teams scoring in the 40s or something.   I can’t remember if LCM actually won that one though.  AAW would be the guy to tell you the last time Silsbee lost to the bears though. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

I seem to recall a game where Harley completely controlled the tempo and the game ended in a one basket win with both teams scoring in the 40s or something.   I can’t remember if LCM actually won that one though.  AAW would be the guy to tell you the last time Silsbee lost to the bears though. 

Silsbee won that game.

Not sure when was the last time LC-M beat Silsbee.

LCM varsity beat Silsbee freshman and JV. Silsbee varsity hadnt lost to LCM in a very long time thst I know of. IMO due to to them not canceling games and rescheduling, some well deserved good team will miss the playoffs. Even it was LCM with the out break, cancel the game and run it back on a Saturday or Wednesday afternoon game smh. 

28 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Not Silsbee light as there were no varsity kids. Only the JV and Freshman team. 

I don’t know the difference.  🤷🏾‍♂️A few years ago, there was a certain die hard Silsbee fan that referenced a Silsbee lite team that according to him had all JV players that  pulled off a huge upset that night.  

While we were definitely the beneficiary of the DEC policy, there was very little satisfaction or feeling of accomplishment from our game last night.  Credit to Coach Sigler and his staff for coaching the kids they had and how hard those kids played.  They were placed in a difficult situation and they competed.  

I do not see any going back on the district's cancellation policy this year.  However, it is apparent that it could be better and we will advocate a change for the future.  Hopefully covid-19 will not be a factor and hopefully these quarantines will not change the outcome of this season.

36 minutes ago, Bear Cave said:

While we were definitely the beneficiary of the DEC policy, there was very little satisfaction or feeling of accomplishment from our game last night.  Credit to Coach Sigler and his staff for coaching the kids they had and how hard those kids played.  They were placed in a difficult situation and they competed.  

I do not see any going back on the district's cancellation policy this year.  However, it is apparent that it could be better and we will advocate a change for the future.  Hopefully covid-19 will not be a factor and hopefully these quarantines will not change the outcome of this season.

Cream always rises to their top. Don’t matter if Silsbee finishes 1st or 4th, as long as those normal kids return before playoff time, then the goal will not change and they will go as far as they were originally supposed to go.

2 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Cream always rises to their top. Don’t matter if Silsbee finishes 1st or 4th, as long as those normal kids return before playoff time, then the goal will not change and they will go as far as they were originally supposed to go.

Disagree.

The way the brackets work out, what seed you end up in district could determine how far you make it in playoffs. Some will have easier paths than others.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Disagree.

The way the brackets work out, what seed you end up in district could determine how far you make it in playoffs. Some will have easier paths than others.

You have to face the tougher teams at some point.  Whether it’s 1st round or 3rd round.  What’s the difference if you get beat by Yates I’m an early round vs getting beat by Yates in the regional final?  You still lose to that same tough team.  At least this is how I look at it.  A bracket is a bracket.  Play whose in front of you and see what happens...

16 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

You have to face the tougher teams at some point.  Whether it’s 1st round or 3rd round.  What’s the difference if you get beat by Yates I’m an early round vs getting beat by Yates in the regional final?  You still lose to that same tough team.  At least this is how I look at it.  A bracket is a bracket.  Play whose in front of you and see what happens...

My point is this:

When looking at someone's record (both team and coach) how deep one advances in the playoffs is important to many. Getting to a regional tourney is a goal for many teams. How you got there really doesn't matter to the masses. For example:

Last year, Hardin-Jefferson and Silsbee split their games in district with each team winning at home. Silsbee won the seed game in overtime. I truly believe if those two teams played 10 games they would split 5-5. They were as evenly matched as any team could be. Silsbee just had the best player (Bush). So, Silsbee gets the #1 seed, HJ #2. Silsbee (because they were the #1 seed) had a more favorable bracket and advanced to the regional tourney. HJ was beaten by Yates in 2nd round. Had the roles been reversed, Silsbee would have lost in 2nd round and HJ would have advanced to regional tourney. Advancing 4 rounds instead of 2 looks much better on a coach and team resume. Trust me, lot's of coaches and just about every fan would agree.

Silsbee has advanced to the regional tourney 6 straight years now ( 12 of the last 16 years). That's a resume that not many in the entire state can boast about. Silsbee has had some incredible teams through those years but some of that success has to do with the playoff route. An honest coach would agree. There's a reason why many coaches look at the bracket layout. It's been known that some coaches concede seeding just for that fact.

I'm old school. I put lot's of emphasis on winning district championships. I would want my team to do what they could to win a district title. The odds are, the higher the seed, the better chance you have of advancing deep in the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

My point is this:

When looking at someone's record (both team and coach) how deep one advances in the playoffs is important to many. Getting to a regional tourney is a goal for many teams. How you got there really doesn't matter to the masses. For example:

Last year, Hardin-Jefferson and Silsbee split their games in district with each team winning at home. Silsbee won the seed game in overtime. I truly believe if those two teams played 10 games they would split 5-5. They were as evenly matched as any team could be. Silsbee just had the best player (Bush). So, Silsbee gets the #1 seed, HJ #2. Silsbee (because they were the #1 seed) had a more favorable bracket and advanced to the regional tourney. HJ was beaten by Yates in 2nd round. Had the roles been reversed, Silsbee would have lost in 2nd round and HJ would have advanced to regional tourney. Advancing 4 rounds instead of 2 looks much better on a coach and team resume. Trust me, lot's of coaches and just about every fan would agree.

Silsbee has advanced to the regional tourney 6 straight years now ( 12 of the last 16 years). That's a resume that not many in the entire state can boast about. Silsbee has had some incredible teams through those years but some of that success has to do with the playoff route. An honest coach would agree. There's a reason why many coaches look at the bracket layout. It's been known that some coaches concede seeding just for that fact.

I'm old school. I put lot's of emphasis on winning district championships. I would want my team to do what they could to win a district title. The odds are, the higher the seed, the better chance you have of advancing deep in the playoffs.

I was talking about just the brackets.  Not downplaying district championships at all.  But to me, losing to Yates in the second round and losing to Yates in the 4th round is the same to me.  I do, however, understand your logic.  

But the way it’s set up now with teams either having to forfeit or play with a sun varsity squad, it truelyvos to them point where a district title would be watered down, Silsbee’s district in particular.  At this point, just make the playoffs.  If there is any quarantining that needs to happen you have a whole week from the last district game and the first playoff game.