Shepherd 52 Hamshire-Fannett 49/FINAL

WOSgrad

• WOSgrad changed the title to Shepherd 52 Hamshire-Fannett 49/FINAL
6 hours ago, DXTR said:

Is HF down some key players?

HF down their leading scoring and a shooter, both starters. Their center got hurt last night in the second half as well, ankle. Injuries are hurting them. I guess those schools who voted against their best player being on varsity this year plan is working. Huffman and Shepard loose with him on the floor period

18 hours ago, Wise_one said:

Even down two players a team that is expected to win district and make a run at the region should find a way to win this one. Shepherd has one player, coach should be able to figure out a way to slow him down. 

BU loses Arceneaux and Yates, they still undefeated? Lumberton loses Brock, do they even win a game? Huffman without Harvey is under .500. Key players matter period. You lose your leading scorer and anchor of your defense along with a 40% 3 point shooter, wins become hard. They lost almost half their offense and 10 plus rebounds a game. 

18 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

BU loses Arceneaux and Yates, they still undefeated? Lumberton loses Brock, do they even win a game? Huffman without Harvey is under .500. Key players matter period. You lose your leading scorer and anchor of your defense along with a 40% 3 point shooter, wins become hard. They lost almost half their offense and 10 plus rebounds a game. 

I’m just saying if HF is supposed to be in the convo for making it to regionals the team should be good enough to beat a below average shepherd team without 2 starters. I guess my point is HF must rely on their best player more than I thought. Yes if Lumberton loses Brock they lose most games but that’s not a secret, that’s why I don’t see them making it past Silsbee, Huffman, HJ and HF much less teams like Yates . All I heard before the season started was how great HF and their coach is going to be and maybe we just need to pump the brakes a little bit. I promise you HJ and Huffman could play without their two best and still beat Shepherd. Didn’t HJ play a lot better teams than shepherd at the beginning of the season without 3 of their best and still win? 

9 minutes ago, Wise_one said:

I’m just saying if HF is supposed to be in the convo for making it to regionals the team should be good enough to beat a below average shepherd team without 2 starters. I guess my point is HF must rely on their best player more than I thought. Yes if Lumberton loses Brock they lose most games but that’s not a secret, that’s why I don’t see them making it past Silsbee, Huffman, HJ and HF much less teams like Yates . All I heard before the season started was how great HF and their coach is going to be and maybe we just need to pump the brakes a little bit. I promise you HJ and Huffman could play without their two best and still beat Shepherd. Didn’t HJ play a lot better teams than shepherd at the beginning of the season without 3 of their best and still win? 

Shepard 4-1 in district. They not a trash team lol. You go into their gym down two starters and lose another during the game, yeah they can beat you. Take away HJ's pg, big man, and Sears they lose as well. Thats what HF is dealing with right now. 

2 minutes ago, Benchwarmer9 said:

Lumberton lost 4 starters last year and another kid that played tons of minutes. I think what Coach Mitchell has done this year is pretty impressive with a pretty young group. Brock is dang good but I think Lumberton flat out plays really hard and that’s a testament to the coach. 

Playing hard without winning is still a lost. I agree coach Mitchell does the best he can with what he has, but there's no trophies for playing hard just wins. He needs a pg and a shooting guard to go along with Brock and they would be undefeated in district right now.

46 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

Playing hard without winning is still a lost. I agree coach Mitchell does the best he can with what he has, but there's no trophies for playing hard just wins. He needs a pg and a shooting guard to go along with Brock and they would be undefeated in district right now.

I agree, but I think the Fannett coach has done pretty good with what he has right now  and having 2 starters out losing to a good sheperd team by 3 points is a testament to the coach making sure his kids play as hard as they can and not making excuses. That’s part of coaching is getting the kids bought in and tigee  has done that. 

Good lord there’s a lot of if and buts here. Any 4A club that loses 3 starters is gonna suffer. Depth is probably HJ’s biggest asset. I think Huffman is probably a .750 club without Harvey and they are young. He is their only senior starter. Plus there coach gets everything out of his club. Those high ankle injuries are tough .

2 hours ago, whsalum said:

Good lord there’s a lot of if and buts here. Any 4A club that loses 3 starters is gonna suffer. Depth is probably HJ’s biggest asset. I think Huffman is probably a .750 club without Harvey and they are young. He is their only senior starter. Plus there coach gets everything out of his club. Those high ankle injuries are tough .

Is Huffman still undefeated?

On 1/13/2021 at 7:04 PM, Wise_one said:

Even down two players a team that is expected to win district and make a run at the region should find a way to win this one. Shepherd has one player, coach should be able to figure out a way to slow him down. 

Losing 2 starters on any team would be rough. Especially if one is your leading scorer.

On 1/14/2021 at 5:09 PM, whsalum said:

Losing 2 starters (including your best player) is tough for most any school this size to overcome.  Most 4A schools are not blessed with great depth.  In basketball, every injury to key players is just magnified.  Losing 2 starters in hoops is the equivalent of losing 9 starters in football.  How is that going to effect most 4A schools?

13 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Losing 2 starters (including your best player) is tough for most any school this size to overcome.  Most 4A schools are not blessed with great depth.  In basketball, every injury to key players is just magnified.  Losing 2 starters in hoops is the equivalent of losing 9 starters in football.  How is that going to effect most 4A schools?

Losing any starters at the 4A level is gonna hurt. I would have thought HF would have beaten Shepherd though even short handed.